Breakfast ideas?

Options
tams644
tams644 Posts: 73 Member
how does everybody keep their sugar down ? I was going to have a smoothie for breakfast but when i logged it in noticed that was already most of my sugar for the day :( what is a good breakfast food ?? need new ideas getting tired of a fried egg on toast lol

Replies

• billr9mm
    billr9mm Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    how does everybody keep their sugar down ? I was going to have a smoothie for breakfast but when i logged it in noticed that was already most of my sugar for the day :( what is a good breakfast food ?? need new ideas getting tired of a fried egg on toast lol

I have come to the conclusion that if you want to make your MFP sugar numbers you pretty much have to give up fruit. I'm just not willing to do that, so I typically go over on sugar. I also typically go over on sodium big time, but I'm a little more sensitive about sodium so I'm always looking to improve that number.

For breakfast ideas have you ever tried steel cut oats? Its kinda oatmeal but better. Its does take forever to cook but the texture is much better than plain old oatmeal. Might have to add something like fresh fruit, sugar substitute, or walnuts but it's very good.
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is natural, its the added sugars you need to watch, like in soda or candy.
  • tams644
    Options

I have come to the conclusion that if you want to make your MFP sugar numbers you pretty much have to give up fruit. I'm just not willing to do that, so I typically go over on sugar. I also typically go over on sodium big time, but I'm a little more sensitive about sodium so I'm always looking to improve that number.

For breakfast ideas have you ever tried steel cut oats? Its kinda oatmeal but better. Its does take forever to cook but the texture is much better than plain old oatmeal. Might have to add something like fresh fruit, sugar substitute, or walnuts but it's very good.

Thank you!! ya i noticed that too i always thought sugar from fruit was good but geez one smoothie is about half my MFP sugar for the day LOL rather just stay away from smoothies. I will try the steel cut oats :)
  • tams644
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is natural, its the added sugars you need to watch, like in soda or candy.

Thank you!
  • billr9mm
    Options

But MFP does not differentiate between sugar from fruit or sugar from a snickers bar. Hence, it seems really easy to exceed our sugar allotment for the day. Guess this is the reason why I don't pay much attention to it.
  • 2boys111
    2boys111 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I make my steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight! I usually do it on warm rather than low so it doesn't get burnt. Once I wake up I add in my dried fruit, nuts, syrup etc and it's ready!
  • billr9mm
    Options
    I make my steel cut oats in the crockpot overnight! I usually do it on warm rather than low so it doesn't get burnt. Once I wake up I add in my dried fruit, nuts, syrup etc and it's ready!

Excellent idea. I read about this method online, but have never tried it. Some people suggest making extra, then store and reheat in the microwave. Have you ever tried that? Yes its convenient but somehow the microwave reheat just does not seem desirable.
  • tams644
    Options

Sounds very yummy :) and with Fall creeping in on us i will be using the crock pot a lot more for sure :)
  • Astraea05
    Astraea05 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Nice, Thank you for sharing :)
  • Astraea05
    Astraea05 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

I have not tried the steel cut oats. Thanks will have to try them. I don't often go over the sugar but I should be eating more fruit!
  • bridetobeMEC
    bridetobeMEC Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My breakfast consists of
    - 1 egg
    - egg white
    - 1/2 cup oatmeal (made with 1 cup water)
    - 2 teaspoons of ground flaxseed
    - 3/4 cup of frozen blueberries
    - coffee with 1 teaspoon of sugar and 2 tbsp of fat free half and half

Calories: 384 Carbs: 53 Fat: 11 Protein: 20 Sodium: 178 Sugar: 14

I eat this at 6am and don't have lunch until 1pm. I try to eat a snack in between but I love this breakfast because it keeps me full for a long time