Ultra marathon drop bags

Options
I've been scouring the internet looking for advice on what to pack in my drop bag(s) for my ultra on Saturday. If anyone has a good tried and true list they've used I would appreciate it! Also things you wished you had brought and forgot would be helpful. I'm not really worried about overpacking as it's a smaller race. Thanks!! ????

Replies

• runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I have yet to use a drop bag...but I've only done 50Ks. I did bring one for my first, it was a 3 looper, had some food, extra shoes and socks, and soda. But I didn't need any of it.
  • sammyneb
    Options
    I can't offer advice as my first ultra (50K) is in October, and like the prior poster it is a 3 looper. I ran 22 miles this weekend on wet trails, I did change my socks and re-glide my feet after the first 10 miles. So for me, my bag drop will probably have 1-2 pairs of socks, glide and my Taillwind (this AWESOME! fuel/electrolyte replacement!, all in one power, love it!) I don't think I would need more than that...the race I am doing is a 3 looper and for my training runs I have been fortunate enough to be able to run at the same place as my race, and so far with 22 miles that is all i needed..but not sure how long your ultra is...
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    This is a 50k but it's point to point so I just feel like I would rather be safe than sorry. If I don't end up needing anything all the better. I need to plan for sun, rain, cold. Forecast is high of 68* and thunderstorms. However it's Colorado so it could be anything lol.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    so maybe plan for everything. I would put extra shoes and socks, maybe a light jacket, food that you prefer that is not supplied at a normal aid station, some body glide or band aids ( if you use the stuff), it's really what ever you think you could want...just in case. Plus if you start with a jacket because its chilly or rainy and it clears off, you can always use the bag to shed stuff you don't need.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Yay! Almost time!!

For my 50 miler, the only thing I ended up using from my drop bag was sunscreen, energy bars, electrolyte tabs, and chapstick. The chapstick was weird. I put it in there on a whim at someone's suggestion and I never, ever use it in regular life, but my lips were so damn dry and chapped by mile 40 that I was very glad it was there. I didn't find I needed much and will probably pack exactly the same thing next time. Leave some room to drop things in the bag also. If you need NSAIDS, bring them because aid stations usually won't give them to you (or they will, but under the table so to speak).

I brought:

food I usually ate while running my long runs (two kinds of energy bars: one salty, one sweet)
    A treat for when I wanted to throttle someone or quit (Caramello bar!)
    An extra shirt, sports bra, shoes, and socks (because everyone told me to bring these)
    Nuun tabs
    Bug spray
    Sunscreen
    Body glide
    chapstick
    Headlamp, in case I ended up running into the night
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions thus far, here's what I've got done:

I have an 8" x 5" x 3" hard shell glow in the dark first aid kit that I have custom packed for my race. It contains: individual packets of pain reliever, anti chafe, individual packets of sunblock, lip balm, wet wipes, trial sized tissues, every size of band aids, tape, ace bandage, muscle relief cream, bug spray, individual packs of alcohol wipes and antibiotic cream, bug bite relief pen. Yes I'll probably not need any of that but it makes me feel better. I'm not buying bear repellent though it's tempting. ???? In my race belt I have a small pocket. I will probably only run with a few bandaids, lip balm, tissues and wet wipes. Gear and snacks come next but the race is providing a ton of food so I'm not overpacking snacks.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Sounds great!
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I've done a ton of 50k's and most of them don't accept drop bags. There was one though that did take drop bags. It had a centrally located aid station that was a hub for several different loops. I knew it was going to be hot so I had a spray bottle and towel so I could wipe the salty grime off my face and feel refreshed for a second. Actually this is nice whether it's hot or not. It's been the most consistently used drop bag item for me. Then I also had a couple of frozen bottles of water so as they melted I had ice cold water I could drink at each pass. I think there were 3 or 4 passes through that aid station.

But that's the only time. Generally drop bags for 50ks isn't an option. I carry a mini first aid kit with me in one of those snack sized baggies. It contains a single use ampule of Systane (for contact lenses), a large bandage (2"x4"), a regular bandage, and a blister pad. I figure that is stuff you need right when something happens so I keep it with me and weighs next to nothing.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    This maybe isn't your average ultra or your average 50k. The RD highly recommends a drop bag and there are previous race requirements to run this race in the 100k distance due to intensity even though it's the same course as the 50k. I don't mind that I may be overpacked it will give me peace of mind. The frozen bottles are a great idea.Oh and as I mentioned it isn't a looped race.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Yes to frozen water bottles if it is hot. I generally wouldn't pack a drop bag for a 50k unless it is a looped course and I wanted to provide my own aid along the way. One thing I did not see on your list was endurolytes/s-caps or something of that nature. I typically take a salt tablet every hour or so, more if it is hot. Is there a particular set of conditions in this race that is the reason for the RD recommending drop bags? Like cold in the morning/hot in the afternoon? Potential for severe weather? Throw in some shoes and socks, I guess, a bandanna (you can fill it with ice and tie it around your neck) and any favorite training food. Speaking of which, I captained an overnight aid station this past weekend and the runners loved the salt crusted fingerling potatoes. Easy to make: two quarts of water, 1.25lb of kosher salt, fingerling potatoes (I used trader joes teeny tiny potatoes.) throw it all in a pot and boil for 20min or until tender. They're easy on the stomach (not greasy like potato chips) and supply plenty of salt. I had some runners taking baggies of them as they headed out to the next AS, and I will be making them for myself when I run my 12h later this month.

Oh, and ginger chews, tums, wet naps/baby wipes, Vaseline or anti chafe....