1st day and already at my carb limit

Options
julslea
julslea Posts: 436 Member
I started Keto today and I just finished eating lunch and I am already at my carb limit. I have it set to 25 carbs. Don't know what to do or if I am eating the right things. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• widmer3
    widmer3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Most people count net carbs, or Total Carbs minus Fiber.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    Eat more fat.
  • Hi, i usually plan out my whole day meals the night before, this way i can see where i can add or cut carbs for that day. try planning a little ahead and you should be able to keep under your 25g carbs.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary so we can take a peek at what you are eating.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It was hard for me at first to stay under 25 grams of carbs. I started to incorporate more fat and a little more protein into my diet. I have eggs, cheese, salami, pepperoni, mayo, blue cheese dressing. After a few weeks, I got into the swing of it and most days my carbs are well below even 20 grams.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound crazy and unhealthy (but most people think the whole premise of Keto sounds unhealthy) - but whenever I'm transitioning back into Ketosis, I make sure my diet for the first week is primarily meat, eggs and dairy. I limit vegetables and nuts. I come up with excuses to eat sour cream. And I cook all my meat with lots of butter.

I also make sure to get plenty of salt and potassium, and drink a TON of water.

Once I get used to netting about 10 carbs a day, I start adding in broccoli, cauliflower, kale, spinach, avocado, almonds, etc. I'm usually filled up so much by the animal-based stuff, that it's easy for me to keep my vegetables and nuts within a safe range. Avoid high-carb vegetables (onions and tomatoes are major culprits, here!), and remember that your net carbs are total carbs minus fiber (at least in the US - I think in many places in Europe, they don't include the fiber in the total count on labels).

And if you're using artificial sweeteners (like Splenda) remember that if you use the granulated version, there's a carb per packet because of the maltodextrin that keeps it crystalline. I'd suggest liquid Stevia or liquid Sucralose, or just cutting them out altogether (I haven't done that, but it's an option!)

Be very careful with nuts - they're easy to mindlessly eat, and you can rack up the carbs pretty quick!

Looking at your diary - your total carbs minus your fiber still has you under 20 net carbs, though - so you're doing well - just be careful about dressings, veggies and nuts! It's easy for those to start creeping up!
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just looked at your diary. You could easy remove 10-13 grams of carbs, by not eating tomatoes, switching to blue cheese dressing, and eating eggs for breakfast instead of the Low Carb Breakfast Bake.
  • julslea
    Options
    I am pretty sure my diary is open. If not please let me know. Thanks.
  • julslea
    Options
    I can do without the tomatoes but I despise blue cheese breakfast and the low carb breakfast bake was turkey sausage links, green & red bell peppers and part skim mozerella cheese.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure my diary is open. If not please let me know. Thanks.

It was, I overlooked it...sorry.
    You're doing pretty good for first day. Don't worry too much about going over a bit today, or even your first week as you learn how to tweak your diet to fit. You can have the tomatoes, maybe just not so many. Do you like Ranch or Italian dressing? Egg salad is a go-to low-carb food for me. I use eggs, mayo, mustard, and just a little sugar-free pickle relish.

Take it one day at a time, you'll get the hang of it.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Although I love blue cheese, I sometimes use Buttermilk Ranch instead. It's yummy. Friend a bunch of keto people and then you can stalk their diaries. Also, check out some of the keto blogs/pinterest boards for ideas.

www.ruledme.com
    www.ibreatheImhungry.com
    http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/

are a few popular ones. I think linda's low carb is another (you'll have to search for it).
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I can do without the tomatoes but I despise blue cheese breakfast and the low carb breakfast bake was turkey sausage links, green & red bell peppers and part skim mozerella cheese.

Most people on a keto diet would switch out a higher fat pork sausage for the turkey (or ground beef if you don't eat pork) and use a full fat variety of cheese and maybe use less peppers or a lower carb veggie. Also there are other low carb dressing options, ranch or just oil and vinegar have very few carbs per serving.
  • julslea
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice.

I will use full fat ranch dressing next time (I already have my mason jar salads for the rest of the week done, so i'll start that next week)
    I am still amazed that I can have full fat cheese and regular meat-not turkey-on keto. This will definitely take some getting used to.

I will be sending you all friend requests.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Along the lines of artificial sweeteners, I had to watch my gum chewing believe it or not....I used to smoke, and developed a chewing gum fettish, as I always have a lot of people contact in my line of work. The cigarettes fell by the wayside, but the gum fettish stayed...and stinky keto-breath made me even more self conscious. I chew orbit gums, and the pur gums from whole foods....and 1 serving of 2pcs = 2 carbs. For me, that really added up over the course of a day. So now, for me...I pop 1 pc vice two (or three) at a time....and try not to do it more than a couple of times a day.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Be careful with sausages. Some of them will say gluten free, or 100% meat on the package and yet have 7g of carbs each sausage. It's crazy. I avoid tomatoes, too many carbs (they are a fruit afterall), and only use whole egg mayo. Get used to reading packaging, and put everything into your diary BEFORE you eat it. That way you know where the hidden carbs are and you can make a switch to something else.

I don't eat anything processed or anything where I have to guess the carbs (like sausages. could be 0.5 carbs or could be 7. not prepared to take a chance).
  • angelajmrn
    angelajmrn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I started 2 weeks ago and it took me about 4 days to get my carbs a little more under control. It was trial and error. Now I am doing much better and am finding more options for eating. I did find a really cool website with tons of recipes and options www.ruled.me.com

Feel free to friend me....I would love to have someone to bounce things off of.