9 days and counting

Options
Today will mark my 9th day of going gluten free. 100% gluten free, I check all labels of everything I eat or season with and If I'm not sure, I don't eat it. My results have been amazing so far:
- No stomach issues/bloating since last Wednesday when it was only a little sore
- No migraines since last Thursday. I still have some small, tolerable headaches but that could be from the massive amounts of excedrin/Imitrex I was using to make it through the day as I haven't had any Imitrex in 5 days and my OTC intake is down drastically.
- A lot more energy and no major slumps throughout the day

My only issue that I'm currently experiencing is some sinus pressure/fogginess due to the allergies & still alot of muscle aches. I am blaming allergies since I wake up with puffy, itchy eyes and a stuffy nose.

So my question is, what else can I expect to improve? Will even the slight headaches go away? Will my sinus issues go away or would they have already disappeared? I read that a lot of the time it takes at least 21 days to start feeling better.

Any success stories or amount of time it took for you to feel better would be great to hear!

Replies

• SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hey, Friend!! I had the sinus issues that seemed like allergies and a mild headache that was always there when first giving up gluten....it is all since gone. I have been gluten free 100% for four weeks now, but my longest stretch was for a year. I never felt better, and I do not know why I went back to it. When I did, I gained weight back so quickly it was hard to believe. I was using it as comfort food. It is soooo not worth it.

I think you can expect an overall improvement in mood, weight loss, skin improvements (mine has never looked better), and overall health improvements. It is a great decision. Just stick through the detox stage, and you will reap the rewards.

I did give up dairy, all processed foods, and all sugars except for coconut sugar, honey, and real maple syrup. I am sure that has aided in my feeling good too, but I know you will have great results with the gluten-give-up. =)
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Today will mark my 9th day of going gluten free. 100% gluten free, I check all labels of everything I eat or season with and If I'm not sure, I don't eat it. My results have been amazing so far:
    - No stomach issues/bloating since last Wednesday when it was only a little sore
    - No migraines since last Thursday. I still have some small, tolerable headaches but that could be from the massive amounts of excedrin/Imitrex I was using to make it through the day as I haven't had any Imitrex in 5 days and my OTC intake is down drastically.
    - A lot more energy and no major slumps throughout the day

My only issue that I'm currently experiencing is some sinus pressure/fogginess due to the allergies & still alot of muscle aches. I am blaming allergies since I wake up with puffy, itchy eyes and a stuffy nose.

So my question is, what else can I expect to improve? Will even the slight headaches go away? Will my sinus issues go away or would they have already disappeared? I read that a lot of the time it takes at least 21 days to start feeling better.

Any success stories or amount of time it took for you to feel better would be great to hear!

Happy to hear you're doing so much better!

I have celiac disease and was just diagnosed in December. I stopped eating gluten and felt amazing changes within just a few days. I'd suffered unknowingly for over 40 years so it was quite a drastic difference.

I had excruciating back pain that had me going for nuclear bone scans and referrals to a pain clinic - I had tried some of the strongest prescription pain killers that didn't even touch the pain when it was bad. Deep tissue massage (ouch!) three times a week didn't help either. After about a month off gluten I realized I don't have a sore back anymore - - at all. It came back with a vengeance when I accidentally ate something that had wheat in it (a restaurant quiche) but that was it. Nothing since. That probably amazes me the most. :)

I had hip pain so bad I hadn't been able to sleep through the night in years for all the tossing and turning. That's all gone....it took the longest to disappear - a good four months or so.

I still suffer extreme exhaustion though due to super low iron. They can't seem to find anything that my body will absorb. So much damage for so long may be the culprit. Took all sorts of iron pills, serums, injections......and my number went down. :(

Anyway, just a few things to illustrate that there really isn't a set timeline....it's so individual.

Have you visited the celiac.com site? They have forums there will all sorts of information and I found them invaluable when I first had to stop gluten.

A small thing: perhaps your sinus/headache issues have nothing to do with gluten. I tended to blame almost everything on it at the start but that's pretty common. Lots of people who stop eating gluten discover they have some secondary sensitivities to dairy, nightshades, gums....it's an exercise in determination to get it all figured out! Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • DailyGroomer
    DailyGroomer Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your feedback! You both give me hope for my allergy issues as well as my back/neck pain. I as well went basically undiagnosed with no real explanation as to why I had to much pain or allergy issues. Doctors after doctors and tests after tests and still no real answer.

I have noticed that even though I still have allergy/sinus pressure (ragweed is in season here and terrible humidity), the headaches are completely tolerable and I have not needed to take any migraine medicine yet, OTC meds helped enough. Typically if this were pre-GF I would have already been at the doctor thinking I had a sinus infection.

I will check out the celiac forums as well :)