Going off Atkins on vacation advice

Options
8675309walker
8675309walker Posts: 25 Member
Need advice fellow MFP friends. I am down 20lbs on Atkins ( 2 months). Still pretty low carb under 35 per day my diary is open. I am getting ready to go to the beach and want to have a few drinks & eat higher carb foods. I know that it will probably throw me out of keto. What can I expect from those who have done this. I will be on vaca for 8 days. Thanks in advance.If you are not a fan of low carb please be nice :)

Replies

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I would still be mindful of your overall calorie intake. You will gain some weight back, but if you don't go completely overboard once you get back you'll be able to quickly lose whatever you had gained by eating carbs again. You have been doing it for two months, so you can still use low carb meals to keep your overall calorie intake in check. Don't eat the bread or bun for a sandwich, get a different side than fries or no side at all if you plan on eating the bread/bun, etc. Atkins/low carb works because it keeps you full by eating high amount of fat and moderate protein. Keep that in mind if you're eating higher carbs...in order to feel full you need to eat protein and fats. Have fun!
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I just got back from a 9 day vacation and did not follow my Atkins plan. I gained 5 lbs, but hoping it will go away quickly! Good luck to you.
  • MaitaAtienzaDiaz
    MaitaAtienzaDiaz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I gained 7lbs on a 5-day holiday just last month but followed a very strict induction protocol (under 20 total -- not net -- carbs per day) and lost the 7lbs in 4 days. So, I guess you can "cheat" on a vacation as long as you don't let it throw you off the wagon completely.
  • 8675309walker
    8675309walker Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have worked so hard these last two months to get off the 20lbs and don't want to botch this! Not wanting to gain but being realistic. I will let you guys know how it goes :happy:
  • VaporHero2
    VaporHero2 Posts: 24
    Options
    Enjoy yourself on vacation. Pick back up afterwards. It wont set you back too far. Im about to be in the same boat with my anniversary. I wouldn't even worry about dieting. Sounds bad, but once in a while we atkins dieters NEED just to feel "normal." Have fun and enjoy yourself! Your body will forgive you :)
  • VaporHero2
    VaporHero2 Posts: 24
    Options
    Also, I've found that splurging once in a while keeps me focused. If I NEVER splurge, then im constantly making "little" bad food choices because I feel trapped in Atkins. I truly believe this mentality has helped me lose to lose the 48lbs that I've lost since I started in April. Good luck :)
  • Semifredo
    Semifredo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it...in 2 weeks we are going to Singapore ( my food paradise !) and we are going to stay the for 3 weeks...last year we stayed there for 3 months ( staying in a hotel so no way to cook my own meals ) and even though we were swimming and hitting the gym every other day ( i also had a few personal trainings ) I gained A LOT :(
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Earlier this year I was doing a LOT of physical work - 8 to 10 hours a day (prep and painting the interior of my house). I experimented with eating a so called "normal" amount of carbs for maybe three days, figuring I'd just burn them off. What a disaster. What I discovered was it made me feel like CRAP. Back came all the usual distress from eating too many carbs: blood sugar roller coaster - high then crash; insatiable appetite; water retention; weight gain; sugar cravings; lack of energy; and general malaise.

IMO it's just not worth it! I recommend that you NOT toss your good habits out the window while you're on vacation. I think it's a fallacy that you can't enjoy a vacation while actively doing this way of eating. You want to indulge yourself? Why not indulge in surf 'n turf; sashimi; lovely salads packed with protein and blue cheese dressing; omelettes made to order; a bit of lovely fruit and cheese for dessert? This diet is, in itself, indulgent.
  • tpr0913
    tpr0913 Posts: 5
    Options
    Enjoy yourself. Any weight you gain will most likely be water.
  • christineellis
    christineellis Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    What I discovered was it made me feel like CRAP. Back came all the usual distress from eating too many carbs: blood sugar roller coaster - high then crash; insatiable appetite; water retention; weight gain; sugar cravings; lack of energy; and general malaise.

Let me just say that I posted about going off my plan in late July and I am still not back on it! I just looked at my weight loss chart this afternoon and am totally off track!!! You are right, it really isn't worth it, unless you have the discipline to get immediately back on track. I usually take a few extra weeks or months to get back with the program...not fun. Even though I feel horrible right now, I have the uncontrollable appetite and cravings that won't let go...
  • MistressPi
    Options
    What I discovered was it made me feel like CRAP. Back came all the usual distress from eating too many carbs: blood sugar roller coaster - high then crash; insatiable appetite; water retention; weight gain; sugar cravings; lack of energy; and general malaise.

Let me just say that I posted about going off my plan in late July and I am still not back on it! I just looked at my weight loss chart this afternoon and am totally off track!!! You are right, it really isn't worth it, unless you have the discipline to get immediately back on track. I usually take a few extra weeks or months to get back with the program...not fun. Even though I feel horrible right now, I have the uncontrollable appetite and cravings that won't let go...

Sorry to hear you've been struggling so. Hope you find strategies that work for you to regain control. Success builds upon success.
  • LuckySlydog
    Options
    I recommend following Low Carb Traveler (Lynn) on Facebook. She's had many great ideas my GF and I have used on vacations and roadtrips. Like for breakfast we hit up mickey d's and order an egg & sausage mcmuffin with and extra egg no muffin. Use the two eggs as your bread. So how did it go? Remember, don't let a slip turn into a slide.
  • MistressPi
    Options
    I recommend following Low Carb Traveler (Lynn) on Facebook. She's had many great ideas my GF and I have used on vacations and roadtrips. Like for breakfast we hit up mickey d's and order an egg & sausage mcmuffin with and extra egg no muffin. Use the two eggs as your bread. So how did it go? Remember, don't let a slip turn into a slide.

this is a great tip! thank you.