Time Magazine low carb beats low fat

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
http://time.com/3222213/low-carb-diet-beats-low-fat/

Granted, this isn't particularly low carb, and the carbs are "good" carbs, and the take home message is eat more vegetables...but still.... good news.

I'm sure it will be posted (and then mocked) on the main boards. :happy:

Replies

• Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I take anything written on Time magazine with truck load of salt.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I take anything written on Time magazine with truck load of salt.
    ok
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Here's the study abstract, for those who care.

http://annals.org/article.aspx?articleid=1900694

It's a bit lower in carbs than I understood originally.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    The NY Times wrote up the study as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?action=click&contentCollection=N.Y. / Region&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article&_r=0

Do you think the tides will ever turn? I've been thinking of opening a LCHF food truck, but I don't know if the market is there just yet...
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Loved the article.. wish it were more mainstream.. I am so tired of even doctors saying to me things like "Well, you need 650 calories for your brain to function." When I say low carbs ... he thinks.. low calorie. I had to go to a different doctor to get me started with Low carbs..

I feel full and do between 10000 and 20000 steps a day.. including mountain trails every week ... even 2 and 3 times a week if I'm lucky enough to have the time

30 years of battling fat with low fat, low cal, powders ... pills.. 3 and half months of dumping grains and simple sugars (except the occasional wine and cocoa nibs) 32 lbs and the first time in my adult life to have a BMI that reads "normal"
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Loved the article.. wish it were more mainstream.. I am so tired of even doctors saying to me things like "Well, you need 650 calories for your brain to function." When I say low carbs ... he thinks.. low calorie. I had to go to a different doctor to get me started with Low carbs..

I feel full and do between 10000 and 20000 steps a day.. including mountain trails every week ... even 2 and 3 times a week if I'm lucky enough to have the time

30 years of battling fat with low fat, low cal, powders ... pills.. 3 and half months of dumping grains and simple sugars (except the occasional wine and cocoa nibs) 32 lbs and the first time in my adult life to have a BMI that reads "normal"
    Congrats!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    The NY Times wrote up the study as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/health/low-carb-vs-low-fat-diet.html?action=click&contentCollection=N.Y. / Region&module=MostEmailed&version=Full&region=Marginalia&src=me&pgtype=article&_r=0

Do you think the tides will ever turn? I've been thinking of opening a LCHF food truck, but I don't know if the market is there just yet...
    If you had a food truck that was LCHF I would love you...but I think there are a few too many "fat haters" ( I mean people who think fat will make you fat....there are the other kind too, but ha ha nevermind) yet that would be all like "OMG do you know how much fat is in this, I need a low fat version!"....to which you could install this arm on your truck that would punch those people out of the line!!!!! Yes let me know when you have that truck!!!!
  • pklme
    Options
    I've been trying to find a low carb forum on here. Am I missing something? I'm trying to reduce carb though I'm not ready to actively increase fat yet. I ignore fat at the moment, just keep total calories low, eat clean, and avoid carbohydrates. What have you guys set your carb/fat/protein ratio for?
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    There are more and more articles published on the whole fat debate. Not 60 year old pop science, but actual real science. I read this one yesterday

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/features/the-science-of-saturated-fat-a-big-fat-surprise-about-nutrition-9692121.html
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something? I'm trying to reduce carb though I'm not ready to actively increase fat yet. I ignore fat at the moment, just keep total calories low, eat clean, and avoid carbohydrates.

To be blunt, yes. You are missing something. You are missing out on fat, which keeps you happy and full. Going high protein, low carb, and low fat is a quick way to be miserable and fail. The only way to even manage it would be to so super low on the calories. What if I told you that cutting the fat doesn't make the process any quicker than adding it back in? If anything, it makes it easier and more likely to succeed long term.
    What have you guys set your carb/fat/protein ratio for?

My ideal ratio? 0% / 80% / 20% ... what I actually hit is probably 0.5% / 75% / 24.5%, although I don't track anymore so I can't be specific. Last day I logged (just as an example for someone) was 0.55% / 77.20% / 22.25%.

Edit: I just ran today's numbers roughly. 0.47% carbs / 75.09% fat / 24.44% protein... and that's without trying. Or paying attention to what I was eating. I'm actually a little lower than I like on my calories (about 1,700). But, I am not hungry, so I probably just won't eat and will have a little extra tomorrow.

Granted, I aim for lower carbs than almost anyone sane. Setting a goal of 20g of carbs or under, a reasonable protein goal, and then load up on the fats to make everything delicious and filling.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Did you see the "Hello Healthy" article today from MFP... http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/09/is-low-carb-really-king-of-weight-loss/?utm_campaign=social&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=MyFitnessPal

Here's the summary paragraphs:

"s it turns out, the study doesn’t actually prove that low-carb diets lead to greater weight loss compared to low-fat diets. Instead, it shows consuming fewer carbohydrates may increase protein consumption, and something about that combination seems to enhance weight loss—however, the cause is not yet clear.

What is clear is that adhering to a diet of 40 grams of carbohydrate per day for any amount of time is really difficult, even with low-carb meal supplements and nutrition counseling. On the upside, the results from this study hint that lower carb intake paired with higher protein consumption may lead to greater weight loss over time—which seems infinitely more sustainable (and enjoyable) for most than a true low- or no-carb lifestyle"