Have you tried to 'take a break' from paleo?

Options
2»

Replies

• ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I took a break to focus on medical treatment for a year, but only ended up being sicker than ever. Getting back to paleo makes me feel so much more functional and eating any other way just doesn't feel worth it.
  • mfrankrn
    mfrankrn Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I haven't been doing paleo long (5 months) and have taken a couple of breaks, mostly due to vacations or spending time at my in-laws. I notice a couple of things when I do, my energy decreases and my insulin resistance increases. I feel better when I am eating paleo/primal, but it is not always practical.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have taken many breaks from Paleo. I get in a mindset that I am tired of all my restrictions, and eat whatever I want for a while (except gluten, I have Celiac disease). Each time it only lasts a matter of days or a week before I remember WHY I am Paleo/Primal! I feel like crap and my GI system doesn't like me very much! I bloat up, gain weight, and am not happy about how I feel in my own body.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have taken breaks from Paleo......the food tastes just as good as I remember, but sugary stuff is too sweet. It tastes good going down. THEN, I remember exactly why I went on Paleo to begin with. My moods get crummy, I gain weight almost immediately, and my skin does not have the glow after a few days. Going back on always feels amazing, but is also coupled with a detox period that is not fun as all that food is purged from my cells and system.

Have a great day!! ~Skye :flowerforyou:
  • lifeisbueno
    lifeisbueno Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    i like to take 12-24 hours a week off... paleo breakfast is always easy, but the lure of some weekend libations and cocktails with friends without stressing must be good for the cortisol levels.

I was hardcore paleo for a year, got super bloaty, irritable, and bad gastrointestinal effects when i tried to take a month long break. I have found that staying clean 6 days a week and only cheating 12-24 hours doesn't make me feel like death anymore, but is just enough to remind me why i stick paleo for most of the week...