Question about Carbs

Options
Good day,

Hello. I am glad to be a part of this group!

I am wondering, how long does it take your body to burn carbs? It probably depends on many factors but in general if I eat 25 carbs at 12:00 noon how long does it take to burn them before I can have more carbs!

Thanks

Replies

• cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.

I dont know if its possible to give you a precise answer, but a general one.

Different foods metabolize at different rates. For example, a banana may be converted to glucose faster than a a stalk of broccoli.

And, it seems every person is unique in that different foods affect BG a bit differently for each individual. So, one good way to discover how foods affect your BG is to test your BG before and after you eat. After doing this for a a while (took me a few months), you will learn and be able to predict how the foods you eat affect your BG.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    A lot depends on the type of food you're eating that contains carbohydrate, and what else you include in the meal. Foods that are higher in fiber tend to be digested more slowly than processed foods. Meals that contain more fat and protein also tend to be digested more slowly. As cwrig said, testing will help you learn how different foods act in your body. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I agree. Testing your BS is really the best indicator of how your body is processing the different foods you eat. Your meter is your friend. :)
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Not only does it depend on what you eat, but it also depends on what you have done before you eat and what you are doing afterwards as well as many other factors. For example I have pretty much the same salad every day for lunch. Although I don't weigh out the individual ingredients at the salad bar, there isn't a lot of variation from day to day in total weight. Some days that salad will yield a net 10 to 20 point increase in BG 2 hours afterwards. Other days my BG will be lower than before the meal when I take a post meal reading 2 hours later.

Just like everyone's diabetes is different, how they manage it is different too. I tend to have 5 meals throughout the day and space my carbs across those meals. My goal for the day is < 125g. Some meals have more carbs, other meals less, but I have found that works for me. It keeps my BG pretty level and I don't get too hungry. You need to experiment with your meter to discover how different foods affect you, and develop an eating plan that works for you.