How to be social with a sleeve?

Options
2»

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Do what thin people do. Have a glass of wine that they hardly touch, fill a plate with food and endlessly push it around only taking the tiniest nibbles. This is exactly what thin people do when they are watching their intake. Share later when you are more confidant.:bigsmile:
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had this issue just yesterday! I went to a cookout at my brother's house and saw some old friends who hadn't seen me since before my WLS. No comment about how different I look, which was fine, figured maybe they didn't remember me at my biggest. But after I was talking with my brother's girlfriend about protein levels in something and then took some BBQ ribs, beans and about a tablespoon of coleslaw (no corn on the cob or garlic bread and left the watermellon for dessert if I wanted something sweet while they had the cake), I was asked if I was doing Weight Watchers. My answer was simple. "I had weight loss surgery 3 years ago and now eat high protein, low fat, low carb". No further detail and no questions about drinking with my meal, probably because I had a bottle of water sitting there although I didn't drink it. The only question I got was asking if it was like the Adkins diet. I really don't know as that's one of the few I never tried.

I am very open with my WLS. I can still be social, have a glass of wine if I want, etc. Most people are accepting and don't push food or drink. I was offered a drink yesterday and simply declined with "I'm driving" which was true. I took a veggie plate with me yesterday so I had something to munch on if they had chips and such out, so even in that kind of a gathering, you take something you know will fit in your calories for the day and share.

It just takes some preplanning, but I do believe because I am so open about it and obviuously comfortable with it myself, it really puts people at ease and the WLS just becomes a non-issue.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    You may not have any issue eating socially, once you've transitioned to solid foods. Wait and see!!

I had surgery on 6/9/14, and honestly, I've been able to go out with friends (who don't know about my WLS) for drinks or food and they never noticed anything. Right now, I can eat about 4 oz of food comfortably - which means that I can pick at a shared appetizer, or I can split a burger with a girlfriend and eschew the bun. If we go out for drinks, I am a world-champion sipper. It has really not been a problem, especially considering that most women are known to diet from time to time, and it is not that out of the ordinary when a friend eats small portions, or pushes food around her plate.

You may feel conspicuous, but I doubt you really will be.

The underlying issue is really whether you want to tell the people who you socialize with that you had or are having WLS. You don't have to. What you do to be healthy is nobody's business but your own. I made a choice not to tell the whole world that I was having WLS. I only disclose when I have a comfort level in confiding in that person. It is no big secret... it is just that the discussion gets tiring after a while, and some people (especially tipsy girlfriends who are uncertain about the 10-20 pounds they can't manage to get rid of) can actually be enormous, judgmental jerks about the whole thing. IMHO - better not to disclose until you feel confident and in control.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Part of my solution was to surround myself with people who respect my decision to have surgery, care about my health, and are supportive. If someone is negative about me having surgery, they probably aren't important enough to me to care about their opinion. I don't ever want to feel like I have to edit myself, but that's just me. I've been very fortunate that only one person ever said anything negative to me, and it wasn't someone I knew well. Beside that one incident, no one has ever been judgmental or negative towards me about having surgery. That said, I know a lot of people out there are more than happy to share their opinions, whether you ask for them or not, and whether they know anything at all about WLS or not, and they aren't always kind about it. You just kind of have to gauge the company you are with, and do what you are comfortable doing. Remember that you don't have to answer to anyone or explain yourself or defend your decision. You did this for YOU!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Part of my solution was to surround myself with people who respect my decision to have surgery, care about my health, and are supportive. If someone is negative about me having surgery, they probably aren't important enough to me to care about their opinion. I don't ever want to feel like I have to edit myself, but that's just me.

Amen!
  • thinnerrugger
    thinnerrugger Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My weight has always been an issue..."is she up or down.." from when I saw them last. I'm sick of it. I hate being associated with weight. It's embarrassing. And, it's been for decades.

I told immediate family about the sleeve. No one was surprised. Maybe because my niece, brother and sister-in-law all had gastric bypass surgery within the past 5 years.

At 8 weeks post op (surgery date 7/7/14) the weight loss is starting to show (nearing 40 pounds). Yes, it took losing 35 pounds before anyone saw a difference. I've been at this weight before, but it's been a while since I've weighed less. And, when I did weigh less, it didn't last long.

So, now, as I start to see people again (I've kind of been a recluse since putting on 50+ pounds), it's going to come out. I'm not going to mislead people, telling them that eliminating carbs and increasing exercise allowed me to lose this much weight. So, I am going to have to start telling people - eventually.

Usually, when people say "You've lost weight" or "Are you losing weight?" I've simply said "Thank you." It's amazing what people will accept for a reply when you don't even answer their question. People don't listen closely anymore.

I'm realizing, like others on this forum, it's not so unusual anymore. If I am pressed, I will simply say "I had weight loss surgery this past summer" and leave it at that (hopefully). I just don't like to talk about it. I don't want to draw attention and I don't like to be the center of attention and I really don't like it when the conversation revolves around me and my weight.

I haven't gone out for a meal with anyone, but I recently attended a wedding and a funeral in the same weekend. The wedding chicken was dry and all white meat. I took one bite and couldn't eat the rest. I ate the vegis and called it a night.

The next day after the funeral, there was a lunch buffet. I had a scoop of egg salad and a scoop of tuna salad and that was lunch. And, it's true, no one notices what you eat.

When I re-enter the real world, I plan to eat appetizers like shrimp cocktail or chicken skewers and a side salad. If that isn't available, I will stick with fish and only eat until I am full.

It's amazing how no one really notices what others eat or IF they eat. it's way more important to us than to anyone else. Good luck and be proud!