Any triathletes out there?

Options
Has anyone out there participated in a triathlon and have any advice??

I am doing my first this weekend and my plan is to test before the race, have an energy bar that I love that has protein, fat and carbs (32 carbs, not sure if I should have the whole thing - thinking probably 3/4 of it and maybe turning off my insulin delivery all together), test after the swim (storing my pdm at the transition station and hoping nothing happens to it), bring energy tabs for sugar if I need (because they dissolve a lot better than glucose tabs), test after the ride (I will have my pdm in a bag with me if I need it on the ride, but hope to not have to) and then leave it at the transition station for the run.

Distances are 500m swim, 13mi bike, 5K run.

I should say, I am not an elite athlete - I plan on doing mostly the breast stroke for the swim, I have a mountain bike and I'm a decent runner. Any advice would be appreciated.

I know for me, swim will be least likely to cause lows, biking most likely and running is what I do most often so I feel pretty good about it - however it's at the end of a swim and a bike so who knows what will happen ;) I'm not worried about going low when I swim, am actually more worried about being high when I get done so maybe I should have half the bar to start with and the rest before I ride. The high concern comes from the 1 duathlon that I did years ago and I was so worried about going low that I ate way too many carbs and was high when done.

So now I'm just rambling. Any advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also I should say that I cannot find my med alert bracelet but I have a necklace that I've had since I was in grade school and will be wearing it (if it's not too bothersome when I test it on the swim tomorrow). Otherwise, I was just going to write on myself with permanent marker 'type I diabetic' on one arm and maybe IDDM on the other :)
  • forestplay
    forestplay Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hello Carolina,

I'me T1, pumper and and triathlete. I hope your event went well.

My experience is a handful of sprint distance triathlons and one Olympic distance event.

I hope you are able to do some "brick" workouts to figure out how to manage your diabetes when doing the varied sports and long workouts.

I always test before the swim start and then again after the bike. I try to be ~180 at the start of the swim by managing my food intake before the event. It's not easy with the excitement of an event. You'll get better with practice. It truly cannot be simulated. There's nothing like the rush of race day!

I carry both glucose tabs and gel on my bike and when running. I try to drink mostly water at aid stations. I sometimes drink whatever energy drink they serve, but only if I feel like my energy is dropping substantially during the event. I'll sometimes pump a little insulin at the same time (for me, that's 1/2 u, you must figure out what works for you).

I always wear a medical alert necklace, for exercise and for everyday life too.

Managing T1DM costs a little time but so far hasn't taken me out of an event. Since I do it for fun, worse case is I have to stop to increase my BG. Yes, it is disappointed to "waste" time in doing it, but it's a whole lot better than the alternatives.

Ask me anything. And tell us how your you did on your first triathlon!

-Bob
  • sassysarahmary
    sassysarahmary Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with triathlons but have completed a marathon. Agreed, it's important to monitor closely while training leading up to the event, if possible. However, I agree that on the 'big day' sometimes it's a matter of other hormones kicking in that influence how your body responds to insulin, exercise and food. Such a balance! Test frequently, as suggested, and have your gels and glucose tabs on you. Really all you can do. I also have the unfortunate experience of having my glucose rise extremely high at a rapid rate during exercise (intense exercise only)…not uncommon and certainly extremely annoying! Have either of you had that experience before?