Calories, Time or Distance

Options
Hi all. When you exercise to you track calories, time or distance. I was doing time, but as I loose weight :love: the calories burned are going down (naturally). So, would you up the time to burn more? I only have so much time in the day. I have increased the intensity and that has helped a bit. Any advice would be helpful!

Hope you are all having a GREAT week!

Darlene

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    How do you determine your exercise calories? I have used a HRM for cardio and more recently a Fitbit for steps. Both of these align pretty well with the calculator I found on a website (shapesense.com) and so I also use it a to double check. Mostly this is because I like numbers, but the truth is you have to do an awful lot of exercise to burn many calories. The database here way overestimates, I've found.
    I do really like the calculator on shapesense.com. Take a look!
  • thin4me59
    Options
    I use the settings on my treadmill. I have to enter in my weight each time. I have an HRM and the machine and it align really close. What I am trying to figure out is: do I burn the same calories each workout, meaning as my weight goes down, I need to workout more, or should I just not look at calories and go for time? i.e 45 minutes
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I misunderstood the question.I think it's really a matter of personal preference and the amount of time you wish to spend on working out. I track the activity and log the calories, whatever they are. If you are losing weight and becoming stronger, then you may be able to increase the intensity and burn the same number of calories as you could before. Have you tried doing intervals on the elliptical? That can make for a greater calorie burn in fewer minutes, and it seems to make the time pass faster. Whatever you decide, the activity is what's going to keep you healthy!
  • thin4me59
    Options
    Thanks. I guess that is what I have been feeling to; increase intensity etc. I workout at home and only have a treadmill, but love the idea of the elliptical. Maybe I will join a gym - nope not for me! :laugh: