Are those 24/7 gyms any good?

Options
I'm debating about joining a gym as I've decided I want to do obstacle courses next year - tough mudder, spartan etc. I accept that at present walking and swimming are not suitable preparations lol.

I want to do classes e.g pilates/yoga, boxing, cycling etc, pt sessions, and be able to shower there.

I do think I need structure otherwise I will slack off, which is also why I started with walking just to form the habit, and I think I am mentally ready to take it to the next level.

I checked out fernwood - ridiculously overpriced (imo), curves - idk enough to form an opinion, my local healthworks is in a mall - which I'm not comfortable with- please don't ask :) Idk anything about pop-up gyms like jetts, snap etc. Of course I would prefer a womens gym with all the comforts, however if I can find a cheaper one that's mixed AND have the comforts then yay for me.

I welcome your feedback about any gyms :)

Replies

• DeeBee042
    DeeBee042 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I go to Fernwood and don't find it overpriced at all. $37.50 a fortnight for all the classes you choose to go to, 24 hour access ( not at all Fernwoods), conditioner, deodorant, hairdryers and most of all its clean. Yes the PT sessions are more but that's up to you if you want to purchase them. They don't hassle you either. Not real sure what other gyms charge now days though as I have been using Fernwood for years.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I have been to jetts and now with snap which I'm going to give the flick as well. I've asked multiple trainers at them both to teach me to lift free weights and they wouldn't and just pushed me towards the weight machines. I'm going to try Genisis next, at least they have classes unlike the other two here(Jetts did at least have a couple of classes but not much to choose from).
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I went to Zap for a couple years. Suited me in a lot of ways. 24 hour access, multiple locations, cheap etc. It didn't have any classes though. I'd say check out the one you plan on joing and see if you can do a free trial. You want to check that it has all the equiptment you need (some don't have squat racks) and isn't too busy in the hours you plan on going. Keep an eye out for new locations because sometimes they offer special rates for foundation members and then you can use all locations.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    I went to Zap for a couple years. Suited me in a lot of ways. 24 hour access, multiple locations, cheap etc. It didn't have any classes though. I'd say check out the one you plan on joing and see if you can do a free trial. You want to check that it has all the equiptment you need (some don't have squat racks) and isn't too busy in the hours you plan on going. Keep an eye out for new locations because sometimes they offer special rates for foundation members and then you can use all locations.

Thanks... that's a great idea :)

I think I will probably bite the bullet and go with fernwood at a basic membership, then see if I can book pt sessions when it suits.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

I think I will probably bite the bullet and go with fernwood at a basic membership, then see if I can book pt sessions when it suits.

Keep an eye out for joining specials at Fernwood too. If they don't have a current special it's worth at least trying to negotiate down the joining fee or see if they'll include a couple free PT sessions. Tell them you're weighing up going with a 24/7 gym for leverage
  • DeeBee042
    DeeBee042 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Keep an eye out for joining specials at Fernwood too. If they don't have a current special it's worth at least trying to negotiate down the joining fee or see if they'll include a couple free PT sessions. Tell them you're weighing up going with a 24/7 gym for leverage

Just tell them to waive the joining fee.. or you will consider going to another gym that you have been investigating. I did when I joined up. I just told them they are always advertising no the joining fee. As for PT, they are always having specials on sessions if you book for a block.
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    I did end up goin with fernwood... My first pt is tomorrow. Yup, no joining fee so that was a bonus, Really awesome tips though ladies, thanks :)
  • Tigs2614
    Tigs2614 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That is great you paid no joining fee. I'm not a fan of the 24/7 gyms like Jett only because they are not always staffed and I often wonder what would happen if you injured yourself and you were the only one in the gym?
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I pay $27.80 a fortnight and I get all the classes and gym equipment access for that. :)
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    Options
    I pay $27.80 a fortnight and I get all the classes and gym equipment access for that. :)

geez that's alright! Hubby told me I should've gone to anytime fitness because it's cheaper and more local. I then told him I don't want to be alone in a gym with a strange man at 1 in the morning (I work a/noon shift), and I can only imagine the fiasco if I befriended that said man..... Hubby is now ok with ME paying more to go to a womens only gym... Aww bless him lol
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Lmfao. I go to anytime fitness and I love it! I usually go there straight after the school run (8.30ish) do a 45 minute weight sesh and then do a class at 9.15. I'm quite often the only one there. It picks up at 9ish and the meat heads are only there in the afternoons.
  • maccarossi1
    maccarossi1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I pay $20.95 a fortnight for all all casses and 24 hour gym access but my gym is a fairly small chain with most gyms located in country Vic. Definitely worth it IMO I go in late at night quite often.
  • Fridge67
    Fridge67 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I attend a 24hr staffed gym call Revolutions in Emu Plains , cost is $12 a week, full access to all classes, plenty of free weights, machines, and cardio equipment. The staff are great , trainers will update programs, teach you everything and are just out and out helpful . I was always intimidated by going to the gym, but I am enjoying it immensly. They also have another gym in Western Sydney which your membership gives you access to. PT sessions are available at a cost
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Fridge67 wrote: »
    I attend a 24hr staffed gym call Revolutions in Emu Plains , cost is $12 a week, full access to all classes, plenty of free weights, machines, and cardio equipment. The staff are great , trainers will update programs, teach you everything and are just out and out helpful . I was always intimidated by going to the gym, but I am enjoying it immensly. They also have another gym in Western Sydney which your membership gives you access to. PT sessions are available at a cost

What an awesome deal! Sure pays to shop around

• NowyTends
    NowyTends Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I go to plusfitness and if the other local gym had 247 trading or even longer hrs than 4hrs a day, i'd definately go there instead!. Closest power lifting gym is 45 mins away and thats just not doable for me.
    Plus fitness: $24 per fortnight, poorly maintained equipment, minimal facilities... but its open at 2am so, thats good!!
  • amelialoveshersnacks
    amelialoveshersnacks Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I pay $44 a fortnight. Reasonably well maintained equipment, 'free' breakfast, toiletries provided, 24/7, and 10 minutes drive from home.