Light heartburn coming back

Options
I'm not sure what's going on. I use to have really bad heartburn but since I started keto in June I haven't experienced any and my allergies have stopped too. Last night I had a lil touch of heartburn then again this morning granted it was nothing like before. I've been reading a lot about leaky gut and low stomach acid and would love some advice on fixing my insides. Thank you

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Some people have to take extra hydrochloric acid (HCl). Some people have alterations in their gut/intestinal flora (microbiome).
    At least one study cites where sucralose (Splenda and it's generics) alter the microbiome.
    I would probably start by cutting out sucralose containing products.
    I would then add a good probiotic.
    Some use grapefruit seed extract and oil of oregano to help purge any fungal/amebhoid types of organisms. Obviously, one would want to space this from the probiotic since it might effectively diminish any benefit from the probiotic.
    There are many sites that also advocate for using resistant starches to feed the good organisms in the microbiome.
    Many Paleo sites have these discussion, but YMMV on what you're willing to incorporate or experiment with in your own personal ketogenic diet.
    HTH
  • jessicalewis82
    jessicalewis82 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you ! Do you think it could be the sugar free redbull I need to give up? It's the only thing I haven't giving up ? Everything else I eat or drink is simple and clean. This has been the one thing that has confused me on this diet. I had all the symptoms of leaky gut so is love to fix it. I'll find me some probiotic. I actually went in a health food store looking for one a couple weeks ago but really didn't know what I was looking for and neither did the people working there. Thank for your help.
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    SF Red Bull appears to not use sucralose as a sweetener, so if it's that, it's likely the caffeine. I would do a taper of it over a few days to minimize any caffeine withdrawal symptoms (headaches, especially), then stay off of it for 10 days to see how it effects you before applying other 'fixes' like the probiotic.
    Probiotics are a rabbit hole. Some people believe that soil-based, refrigerated probiotics are the best. Me? I just by probiotics with the highest strain count off the store shelf (not refrigerated) that I can afford. I try not to let perfect be the enemy of good enough.

Do one change at a time or you won't know which thing worked to solve your problem.

Keep me posted!
  • jessicalewis82
    Options
    I do drink a lot of caffeine. I'm pretty sure it's slowing down weight loss too. The last couple night I haven't slept very well either. I love my fat coffee sooo much. I'll get rid of it and let you know how it goes. I'll do two cups a day for a couple days and then one. I think I'll find me some decaf caf tea for my coconut oil.
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    I do drink a lot of caffeine. I'm pretty sure it's slowing down weight loss too. The last couple night I haven't slept very well either. I love my fat coffee sooo much. I'll get rid of it and let you know how it goes. I'll do two cups a day for a couple days and then one. I think I'll find me some decaf caf tea for my coconut oil.
    God, that's such a bummer. I loved my caffeine too and hated *so much* to see it go. 2diqf5u.jpg
    Also, I found that I can't do coconut oil after 5pm and still expect to sleep, so any coconut oil I ingest is done before that time or I'm pinging off the walls into the wee hours.
    My understanding is that with ketogenic diets, serotonin can be effected as well. One of my friends here had good success with a melatonin supplement, so you might find that helpful if sleep is still an issue.
  • jessicalewis82
    Options
    Yes I've been reading a lot about leaky gut and stress hormones and where is carried a lot of weight in my stomach I'm sure these are things I need to work on. Just when I think I understand everything I'm overwhelmed with information again. Lol I believe I'll look into that supplement. I've been stocking your food diary. Lol oh and by the way I know it's only been a day but I've had no heartburn. I only had a cup when I woke up and one after I took my son to school. I was so sad not having one while reading this afternoon but I survived.
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    Yes I've been reading a lot about leaky gut and stress hormones and where is carried a lot of weight in my stomach I'm sure these are things I need to work on. Just when I think I understand everything I'm overwhelmed with information again. Lol I believe I'll look into that supplement. I've been stocking your food diary. Lol oh and by the way I know it's only been a day but I've had no heartburn. I only had a cup when I woke up and one after I took my son to school. I was so sad not having one while reading this afternoon but I survived.
    Stalk away! That's why I have it open! Let me know if you have any questions.
    I also have a blog here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/PatchEFog
    I'm glad to hear that the heartburn is easing up. It can be miserable, and isn't so good for your throat/esophagus if acid is washing back up. It's actually not good for your teeth either.