Visiting SideSteel: Oh my god..look at that...Boom...BOOM!

Options
Sarauk2sf
Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
As you may be aware if you have seen SideSteel’s thread, we decided to each make a post about my recent visit to see him and his family, both because we thought it may be fun for the readers, but also because we wanted to document all the fun we had for lulz reading later.

After much discussion for a long time about me visiting, I finally booked my flight, the timing was initially decided with the expectation that I would support (and handle…giggity) Patrick (SideSteel) during his first power-lifting meet, and possibly compete myself. As it turned out, neither Patrick nor myself ended up competing due to him tweaking his back. However, from a purely selfish perspective, it turned out fortuitously as it meant that we got to lift every day I was there.

Before I get into the shenanigans of my trip, I thought it a good idea to explain how we first ‘met’ as some of you reading may not be aware.

I joined MFP at the very end of February 2012 and started lurking on the forums a few months after that. I noticed Patrick’s posts and realized that he knew his shiz about fitness and nutrition, and his, and others’ posts got me interested in learning more. So I started looking at fitness and nutrition from a science based perspective, researching claims made on MFP as best I could and trying to get a better understanding and to sort the wheat from the chaff so to speak. I remember my first interaction with Patrick on the forums – it was about peanut butter as a source of protein believe it or not. I made a joke in response to one of his posts – he answered me in all seriousness. At that point I was…this guy has no freaking sense of humor…how wrong was I!!. Anyway, after that I recall I had a question about creatine so PMd him – he responded in his usual pragmatic and logical way. At this point I feel the need to post this:

241jbk6.jpg

Anyhow, we started PM’ing each other noodz…wait, I mean questions and discussions regarding threads in the main forums and positions on them as well as just chatting in general. After a while we realized that we pretty much had the same viewpoint on just about everything. So, while most people saw outrageous comments on each other’s walls (and still do), we actually were having a lot of nerding out conversations behind the scenes. After a while, we had the idea to start the Eat Train Progress group to avoid much of the derp in the forums. We started the group in December of 2012 and now have a facebook page as well (which Patrick actually runs mostly – I am just there so it looks like there is someone who lifts involved in the group).

Up until this trip, while we chatted via phone and Skyped (a lot), we had not physically met – so, meeting up in person was well overdue.

Onto the actual trip now I have sent you all to sleep with my long winded introduction.

My flight landed in MN mid-afternoon on Tuesday 12th. I first saw Patrick when coming down the escalator and while I was ranting at my phone as I could not get my texts to send. He should have known the trouble he was in then…. Hugs and squee’s (that was Patrick) ensued. We had to wait for my check-in bag to come out - I think I may have got a latte while waiting. I had a small computer wheely bag and backpack that I took as carry-ons and the checked bag was slightly over-weight as it was full of lifting and workout gear and all teh foodz. After I pulled it off the carousel, Patrick picked the small carry- on bag and started walking to the car. When we got to his car, he put the small bag into the trunk and left me to hoist the big arsed heavy suitcase into the trunk, only realizing what he had done after the bag was safely in the car! Then again, it’s not as though he does not know I lift a bit!

One of the first things I noticed (other than, yes, his biceps are that big, and that he picked the small bag to put in the car), was that it was very warm. The only pictures I had seen of MN were of texts that Patrick had sent me earlier in the year where there was at least 3 foot of snow!

So we got back to Patrick's house and did the introductions to his wife, Jennifer and his kids. I had 'met' Jennifer via Skype but that had only really been passing 'hello's. I would like to take this opportunity to say what a great hostess Jennifer was. There are not many women who would be cool with another woman monopolizing so much of their husband's time but she was totally fine with everything and even took a bunch of the pics for us. Also, I have to say how freaking cute his kids are - his 3 year old son, Isaiah, is adorable (and this is from someone who is not a d'awwww or 'kid' person) and his 2 month old daughter, Audrey, is so mellow - she just seems to take everything in her stride - plus her hair is just like her Dad's.

After the introductions were over, we chilled for a short while, drank some coffee, and Patrick made pancakes which were delish.
2362b894-2b4d-4013-a8c3-d77f8904c00a_zps4cc1e326.jpg

After eating a bunch of them we then got changed to go to the gym.

We met Patrick's cousin Kate there (CallMeBacon) and started lifting. The session involved a bunch of shenanigans, which ended up with me falling on my butt after locking out one of a series of 275lb pulls and cackling loudly. Half the time I was doing a lift or showing Kate something (hip thrusts spring to mind) and I would look up/over and find that Patrick is video'ing me. It is a bit of a blur but I think we both did some squats, bench and deads. I do recall I started off with front squats and Patrick was helping me with my bar and hand placement as they have been giving me issues recently. I, like the dipsy bish I am, forgot my charger for my phone and so did not take any pics. Patrick luckily had his phone so took a bunch...many from a high angle, which may have had something to do with a slightly bad decision with my workout attire...! After my rather loud dropping of the bar and laughing (or cackling actually) we decided to call it a day and headed back to Patrick's where I think we ate ice cream and chilled for the evening (although it's a bit of a blur). While we were actually doing some focused lifting, most of the session was of us messing about and laughing...a lot. I think some people at the gym may not have approved!

The next morning, Patrick woke me up and I think was kind of shocked when I answered his question as to whether I was up yet - let's just put it this way - my nickname became Ed (the Trucker) for much of the trip as I kind of sound like a smoking, whisky drinking dude first thing in the morning. Anyhoo, after coffee and changing into gym clothes we took his 3 year old son, Isaiah to school and headed to the gym. We both squatted and benched. I had a really good session and matched my paused bench PR (which I was really happy with as I have been pretty detrained recently). We left when it was time to pick his son up and for lunch Patrick has some hyooge burger...what did I get...a salad....!!! He then has some calls with some of his clients, which I sat in on which was fun. [In case I forgot to mention it, I had a great time chatting to everyone *waves hi*].

We then get ready to go to a pizza place and after a wardrobe malfunction (which Patrick explains in his thread...but put it this way, he did not quite look at me the same again when I wore yoga pants and it was the subject of a lot of jokes.). Patrick had no problem scarfing down a 16" pepperoni!

We had loads of fun chatting over the food and nerding out about...yep, lifting and shiz as well as chatting about other stuff.

We then waddled back to the car and drove back to Patrick's where we chilled for the evening. Patrick asked Jennifer and I if we wanted some ice cream. We both said yes. So a bit of back story here...I think it was the first day I arrived, Patrick noticed my um...less than delicate hands in a kind of abject horror way. I have quite a few callouses from lifting and bite my nails (and skin around them) so the front and back are pretty beat up and gnarly. Add this to the fact that I have very large hands for a female, they are not exactly my best feature, which he repeatedly pointed out (coz he is mean like that!). They became the source of quite a bit of humor, especially when coupled with my Ed the trucker morning voice. So anyhoo, he dished some ice cream out for Jennifer and then walks over with a 1/2 gallon of Edy's (cookie dough which is my favorite) with a serving spoon stuck in it. It was about 2/3 full. At first I thought it was some more taking the piss out of my hands - insinuating that I needed a serving spoon to be in proportion with my man hands. I then asked if it was all for me. He kind of smirked and said yes. So...the challenge was on and I finished the whole thing...using my man hand spoon in my man hands! I did have to make up for the salad earlier...right?

After that we waddled off to bed...separate beds for me and Patrick btw to clarify for those kinda confused about us!

The next morning, after Patrick taking the piss out of my Ed voice, drinking lots of coffee and dropping his son off at school, we headed to the gym. He was training some clients so I lifted, all the while hoping to catch him stick someone on a bosu ball...alas, it never happened. He did ask me to demonstrate a few lifts here and there to his clients he was teaching some of the compounds to, so that was fun.

After we picked his son up from school we went back to Patrick's, faffed around on MFP and he took a few mall Skype calls with clients, who I also got the chance to chat to for a short while, we then got ready to go out. He was working that evening (he does close up magician gigs - that evening at a restaurant in the Great Mall of America) so I met up with Kate (CallMeBacon). After grabbing a coffee we headed out on a mission to resolve my packing snafu and then went to dinner. Kate exposed me to something akin to manna....deep fried cheese curds...holy shiznit, they are good. After eating those then creamy mashed potatoes and creamed corn (which, to someone who as only had it from a can before was something of a revelation) plus 3 spears of asparagus lol - we met back up with Patrick and headed out. On the way back I think we grabbed some more ice cream and coffee. The trip back was hysterical, the reason for which is not really for public consumption, suffice to say we were crying with laughter for most of it and the topic at hand remained the source of a lot of hilarity for much of the rest of my trip.

The next morning, we started the day off in the usual way....coffee, some MFP, some insults, dropping his son off at school then on to the gym. This day was a fantastic day at the gym. We got some great lifting in and had some fun on the main floor and in the closet (giggity).

Video of Patrick looking sexay deadlifting in his hose...

http://youtu.be/3LhErbYm02s

We mainly worked on deadlifts. I started trying out a grab and go type set up which felt really good as I got some stretch reflex that I do not with my current set up. We worked up to about 275lb and pulled a bunch of back to back singles. Patrick then carried on working his way up and ended up pulling a really purdy looking 405 for a sumo PR. This was huge as he has been having problems with his deads - between injuries and not 'feeling it' with his prior set up (a fact he has been whining to me about for the last year). So we finished up on a bit of a high.

At some point in the session, we went back to the 'closet', which is where the staff keeps their gear when working. Patrick wanted a banana...in the following clip, he was taking a pic of me taking a bit of the banana (which he did not expect me to, hence his laughing) while I was video'ing him (or the floor actually for most of it as I was laughing so much and trying not to choke on the banana - no that is not a euphemism!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIJVnuAUvIg&feature=youtu.be

For those who do not want or cannot watch the video, here is a still of the highlight of it:

56547a08-e6e1-471f-b895-0ace4d099cb8_zpsd324b886.png

I have to say, there are some characters in Patrick's gym, as you usually find anywhere. One who was particularly amusing/annoying was 'the grunty guy'. I am sure you have seen and heard his type - counts out his reps really loudly, sings along to the music coming through his earphones, badly, huffs and puffs making a big show of things and grunts really loudly towards the the end of his set (he also wears these really large fingerless boxing glove type things...odd). He was there quite a few times that I was there, and while filming Patrick with some practice pulls, he does a couple of his really loud grunts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IsaeuBOwZw&feature=youtu.be

Anyway, after a really good lifting session and shenanigans in the closet, we left to pick Isaiah up from school - on the way, Patrick popped my cherry - my Blizzard cherry:

28a83cd5-9b73-4056-8f2c-f09f42c9bd64_zps7a4c2462.jpg

I would like to point out an amusing fact, with the knowledge of which, this picture highlights....Patrick's habit of shoving me out of the frame in videos and in pictures....He acts like such a gentleman (ok, that was challenging to type with a straight face)...well, well mannered and considerate anyway for most of the time, but when it comes to videos and pics, he is all, get out of my way bish!

After dropping is son off at home, we faffed around a bit, and then went out to eat. I had a cheese quesedilla and he had a a big arsed burrito. He then tried to sabotage me more by 'making' me get some cheese 'n' mac from where he was picking his wife's food up from.

After getting back to Patrick's, we got ready to go out. He had another gig at the Mall of America [SIdenote: he wears a suit for his magician gigs...he looks great in it, but it's odd seeing him all snazzed up and wearing clothes that cover everything]. I met up with his cousin Kate and her husband CJ to do some shopping while Patrick worked. We had a great time and I want to thank CJ for being so patient with 2 women shopping! We met up at the restaurant, where Patrick had his gig, to eat dinner. We had a great time with lots and lots of laughs. Patrick's meal was almost paleo...mine, was not quite lol. Moar fried cheese curds...jalapeno this time.

47955b07-4181-4c64-966c-4aafa84bb9a4_zps01669aa3.jpgcc9276b7-2340-4b26-89a0-87e82a5bdce3_zps9c4375f6.jpg

Most of the time, Patrick was taking the piss about how I eat - I was eating fries with a knife and fork (they had cheese on them, so not conducive to eating with fingers). So I decided to explain a theory to him (I was pretty much joking btw, just to clarify and had a hard time keeping a straight face). If you listen, Kate (sitting opposite me), got what I was trying to explain...Patrick however....well, he was confused, bless him (and why the hell did he video so close....not fair to someone of my advanced years lol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXmlofTIOxQ&feature=youtu.be

We then shared a delish and very large brownie for dessert. The whole evening was a load of fun and I laughed so much, Kate and CJ had to use their napkins as guards as I was risking spitting out my food through most of the meal.

The next day was Patrick's 50th birthday and in the morning we were off to watch the powerlifting meet that he was originally supposed to be competing in. We had our usual pot of coffee, got ready and headed out. We expected to have a full day of it and therefore not lift ourselves that day. It was a USAPL meet, and me, being all 'experienced' and shiz with my sum total of one USAPL meet under my belt lol, was all 'The women will lift first, and they will start about 9:45am and the guys will lift after - probably in the afternoon'. Ummm...nope - they got it underway really quickly and the guys lifted first so we got there when the guy's squats were well under way. Two of Patrick's friends were lifting - one of them totally smoked all his lifts, PR'ing in them all, with a back to back PR for deads. It was a really fun event to watch.

During the event, I apparently gave Patrick a lot of unintended amusement by my obliviousness. I was wearing a T-Shirt that had, in large writing "My *kitten* Makes My *kitten* Look Big". There were a couple of times where I was kind of joking around twerking/shimmying and some guys were staring, which was noticed by Patrick, but not by me. I, as is usual, was oblivious until I ask him what he was laughing about.

We decided not to stay and watch the women lift as 1) I would get pouty as I was not competing and 2) we decided we wanted to go to the gym and lift...again lol.

So, we headed back to Patrick's house to change and then out to the gym. We had a great session - mainly working on deadlifts..again.. Patrick had a really good session, especially considering his PR the day before. I pulled a bunch more singles at 275lb. I had failed to break the floor with 300lb the day before (which is off my best, but as I was detrained and trying a new technique I was not too bothered), so I did not try to go any heavier, but was happy with the way the pulls were going. We then goofed around and I got him to 'train me' for pull throughs....

ckUndh.gifJPWOzh.gif
...and yes, I am not doing them properly as I am laughing too much. And yes, mine is sideways ... because Patrick had a derp.

The video that the gif of Patrick is from (linked below) is the source of a lot of jokes between us, and the inspiration for the thread title!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTAYONHgKdM&feature=youtu.be

we also need to do a mix of the soundtrack of mine, that of Patrick's and throw in the grunty guy.....

Anyway, we finally finished up with our shenanigans and left to get ready to go out for all you can eat sushi. Myself, Patrick, Jennifer and their little one, Audrey went as Isaiah was with his grandparents. The selection was fantastic - they had a lot of different tempura, tofu and vegetarian sushi selections. Plus, ice cream, where I demolished Patrick's prior PR with 11 scoops! It was a great evening out and I enjoyed the chance to spend more time with Patrick's wife - we had been on the go so much that we had not spent much time in each other's company. Audrey slept through the whole event I think! My only complaint (apart from the server who got pissy when I asked for moar ice cream), was that they did not serve coffee so I had to have diet coke, with teh toxinz!!. During dessertl pic:

8432ac9b-4978-4fb3-b526-56613966b9b3_zpsb57d54f2.jpg

End of dessert pic:

95c498da-1fdf-4f7e-afe9-b82bd7590ac2_zps9cf26cab.jpg

So Sunday was our last lifting day and we planned to make it a long session. After the usual coffeepot, Patrick made pancakes and scrambled eggs. Sidenote: Trader Joe's Cookie Butter is freaking fantastic on pancakes. Pics of Patrick being all domestic and shiz...

6640e580-9298-4a0c-a241-b1a2ca301ed5_zpsecfba914.jpge78c972c-46c1-4618-ba18-c23718d2fac6_zps0072a7a0.jpg

You will also note him trying to lolflex while cooking and basically just ending up looking like a dork!

Patrick's parents arrived while we were finishing up. I say hi to his Dad, who says hi back. As I had just eaten the pancakes I mention that 'Patrick is keeping me well fed". His Dad looks at me, and I am sure he looked at me as if to take stock, and then promptly says..."I can see that". I managed to keep a straight face until I saw Patrick to tell him his Dad insinuated I was fat where we promptly cracked up - like father like son!. I should however mention that I did have a last piece of pancake in my hand so I am assuming he was referring to that....right?...right???

Anyhoo, as it's our last day, we don the ETP tanks tops I ordered and headed out to the gym. We had a great time again. I think we both benched and pulled. I am not sure if Patrick squatted but I managed to squat 260lb, which is more than I have been able to do for a while. The bar speed was pretty good so I tried for 270lb but was unbalanced so rather than try to grind it I bailed. All in all though it was a very pleasing session and we had a lot of fun as usual.

I managed to get Patrick in the slut machine, - I think it was on the last day (I get confused as he changed his ETP top - it was a large and apparently he is not...lol):

Ladies....you are welcome...

b2jsM4.gif

We then picked up pie and pizza for dinner (with a latte stop in between for me). After pizza, Patrick made me do cardio by going for a long arsed walk so I lost all my gainz from the lifting I had done. We chatted and laughed about the trip and nerded out about other stuff - it was great to spend time just shooting the shi!t before I left, even though he was making me do lolcardio!

When we got back, we put on our ETP tank tops again to take some pics, and then it came out what a total pussy Patrick is. We had agreed earlier that it would be fun to have pictures of each other picking the other one up. I cannot quite fully explain what a palava he made of it. I mean, ffs, I can deadlift nearly twice his body weight and squat about 100lb more than he weighs, but he was such a wimp and worrying that I would drop him. Initially, he had the bright idea to sit sideways in the 'thinking chair' (as Isaiah calls it) - this comfy recliner armchair...with the logic that he would not hurt himself if I dropped him...ummm...so you think it's a good idea for me to bend over and pick you up from there, especially as the chair stops me being able to even use my legs??? I suggested, if he was going to be a total p[url]ussy about it, to gently lower himself from standing in a chair - for some inexplicable reason he takes that to mean stand on the table. At this point me and Jennifer are rolling our eyes and wtf'ing. Eventually I told him to man up and just hop into my arms like a normal person. He did and lo and behold, I could carry him with no problem, well other than the fact that I am trying not to laugh too much and make myself lose strength and drop him. Also, who looks like who is straining the most, so who should have been the most worried?:

4f862e030f887ef86b3daceba6686b683d65_zpsafdfdbee.jpga3f6912e086616f1b7785c034b5f959a920c_zpsef11284d.jpg

For the record, and while his belly looks enormous in that pic...its actually not at all - the shirt...being large, and Patrick, being not, as I mentioned. lol. My *kitten* on the other hand...

After that, we ate more ice cream, had some spotted d!ck (lol...I bought it with me so I could say Patrick ate some), chatted some more and then called it a night.

The next morning was full of teh sadz. We did the usual morning routine - made and drank a pot of coffee and took Isaiah to school - this time though we had to go to the airport rather than the gym. We were able to spend some chatting and reminiscing (and laughing) about the trip while waiting for my plane, which was delayed (yay). We took a few video's - where Patrick did his usual trick of cutting me out of the frame...I may post later. I have to say that I was very sad to leave. I had so much damn fun, it should be illegal. It was all in all, a perfect trip. We lifted...a lot, we ate....a lot, we nerded out and chatted a lot and we laughed...a whole lot.

It was also great to meet Patrick's family. I loved the time I got to spend with his son Isaiah (nothing negative about Audrey - she is lovely - but at 2 months old, there is not a lot of interaction. you can have). Isaiah is totally adorable and I was able to spend some time playing and interacting with him and I got a kind of ridiculous amount of pride when I taught him to him to spell L_E_M_O_N. Banana was more of a challenge (it's a tough word as he says) and that is next trips goal!! I also got kind of choked up when he was all "Sara is my friend'. Ok...enough of that, or I will ruin my hard arsed bish image...

Before I sign off, I thought I should share this. My suitcase...you know the one that was really heavy and that Patrick left for me to put in the trunk or his car when I arrived. Well, it was full of goodies. I packed a load of English chocolate bars and biscuits (cookies) as well as a bunch of other stuff to sabotage his gurney.

This is a pic of about 75% of it (as we had eaten some and some more were elsewhere):

937c3d2f-3f6f-48ae-940c-c3c0a9064dc9_zps0fbcb746.jpg

and this is the picture the evening before I left

92f97446-3bfa-4611-922b-28bb12b3c886_zps49ae8ca6.jpg

My suitcase was 11lb lighter when I left than when I arrived!

Anyhoo....I am coming back...in fact, my flight is already booked for the end of this month...and I maaaaay have booked a second one!

TL:DR....soooo much lifting, eating, laughing and having fun that I am coming back.

BOOM!![/url]

Replies

• SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • CallMeBacon
    CallMeBacon Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Lol awesome. Love this.

But how the hell did I miss all the food?

And PS I'd like to note, I popped your cheese curd cherry. You're welcome.
  • bimmer2331
    bimmer2331 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sara! This is hilarious!
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I love reading all of your adventures! It's great to have excellent friends!
  • Spaghetti_Bender
    Spaghetti_Bender Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    That was a pleasure to read. Glad the two of you had an awesome time.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    this was full of awesomeness.. thank you for sharing your time with us.. love it!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Epic post! Sounds a like a great time had by all. Lots of lifting, eating and laughs. Perfect!

I honestly thought Pat was about 35. Seriously don't look your age mate :smile:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Oh my god, look at that....

BOOOOOOOOM
  • engian
    engian Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness

Elia
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    This is filled with awesomeness
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    *kitten*!
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    50th birthday.

Lol!
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Fun!!
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    :happy:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    50th birthday huh? I thought he was only 48 or 49 or so...
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    :heart: luv'd ever word :wink:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :love:

I may be new to lifting, and have some guts, but no BOOM BOOM from this girl :embarassed:

So glad y'all had fun. (BTW Sara, you have a sexy voice :blushing: ) :drinker:
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I may be new to lifting, and have some guts, but no BOOM BOOM from this girl :embarassed:

In that pull through video she does, but in the morning you'd swear James Earl Jones possessed her.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    So fun reading about your adventure! Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Thank you :blushing: :flowerforyou:

However, SideSteel is unfortunately correct - my nickname of Ed the trucker is well deserved.