High carb Paleo foods?

Options
ila212
ila212 Posts: 1 Member
Hi everyone,
My fiance and I are paleo people most of the time, and I really believe that a primal lifestyle is the healthiest. My fiance is currently doing a cyclic ketogenic diet to build muscle mass, though, and part of that program involves one heavy carb day a week. It's working well for him, but he treats his carb days like a total cheat day and gorges on awful, nutrition-free food.

I'm not living with him at the moment, but we are moving in together in a week. I'll be able to make him nutritious high-carb food on his carb days so he won't be eating nutritionally void store-bought pasta and pizza and poptarts all day. I'd love to have some idea for good high-carb and high protein recipes I can use, esp involving sweet potatoes or white potatoes, without having to resort to grains, sugars, or legumes. Thank you :D

Replies

• HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Well, I love 1-pot meals so the first thing I thought of was a stew. Brown a shoulder of beef or venison and slow cook it with beef broth, sweet potatoes, white potatoes, carrots, parsnips, onions - lots of carbs and protein there. You can thicken the sauce with a nut flour for traditional gravy type of sauce, as well as extra carbs.
    I also make protein bars with nuts, dates, figs, cherries, and chocolate.
    Have you ever had pemmican? It's dried fruits, nuts and dried beef.
    Guinness Stout. High in protein (for a beer) and carbs and a great substitute for broth in slow cooker recipes.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Bananas are fairly high in carbs so I'd say if you can include those in breakfast it would help. There are pancakes you can make that are pretty simple. I can't get them to flip into perfect pancakes, but they're still very good. With that in mind, make the pancakes a smaller size. They can be made with protein powder (if you eat that) and an egg mixed all together with your fruit of choice. Banana plus egg mixed together only. Or canned pumpkin with egg mixed plus fruit, etc, you get the idea.
  • alexotica
    alexotica Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fruit's often a good option.

I don't know whether you're dairy free, but I like to make a big pot of mixed mash potatoes (sweet potato and white potato) and then freeze them in a big silicone ice tray (IIRC they're 1/2 cup each "cube"). Take out a cube anytime I need to add some carb to my meal.

I'm a fan of the Perfect Health Diet, and Jaminet recommends white rice and potatoes as safe carbs. If you trust your local Chinese restaurant, next time they give you more rice than most human beings can eat in one meal, freeze them in small batches and, again, take out a bag or whatever when you want to up your carb.
  • KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I was training for triathlons and needed some high carb options. Check out this link for high carb foods: http://balancedbites.com/2011/08/paleo-diet-carbs.html
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Plantains and Yuca. I have been trying to cut my carbs and am alarmed by how many these have! I made plantain tortillas and liked them a lot until I got a load of the carb count! Same with Yuca. There's a lot of great looking recipes, and I actually have some, but it is very high carb.