Hypothyroid-- Questions about supplements

Options
Neeters1969
Neeters1969 Posts: 53 Member
Hi,

I am new to this group, but not new to Hypothyroid. I have been Hypothyroid for 20+ years and on 25mcg of Synthroid. A recent trip to a Rheumatologist for follow up on pain brought some interesting facts to light.

First of all, she told me that my Vitamin B12 levels were low and that I needed to be taking a minimum of 1200mcg daily. Also recommended EFA Omega 3, Glucosomine and a multivitamin.

I picked up a copy of Mary J.Shomon's Book, "The Thyroid Diet Revolution" and her evidence seems to jive with what the Rheumy told me. But specifically, I am interested in what supplements others are currently taking to improve thyroid function and health.

Specifically, Milk thistle, Zinc, and Selenium. Does anyone have any thoughts on these. Just curious.

Thanks

Replies

• kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D is especially important for you (you are on a very low dose of the synthetic hormone, and need vitamin D for proper conversion of synthetic T4 to the useful thyroid hormones T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin).

I also had low vitamin B levels and take a sublingual supplement in the morning (it doesn't taste great) along with an iron supplement (chelated iron seems to not upset my stomach) and L-tyrosine (another thyroid hormone pre-cursor). Be careful not to take iron or calcium supplements within 4 hours of taking your meds, and birth control pills should be taken as far between thyroid doses as possible. My doctor has me on an Omega 3, but I can't tell that it's doing anything "productive".

Hope that helps...
  • Neeters1969
    Options
    Great, thanks for the information on the Vitamin D. Any particular amount that you take? I already take my thyroid first thing in the morning 1-2 hours before any other supplements, and then the Vitamin B12. Multivite taken toward the end of the day. Birth control meds aren't an issue, but I am wondering if there is any interaction with chloesteral meds.

FYI, the benefits of Omega 3 and the thyroid are to help reduce inflammation which is a cause of hyperthyroidism.
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    She has me on 10,000 IU of D3 each morning. *DISCLAIMER* my Vitamin D levels were the "lowest anyone at her practice had ever seen", which was 10 ng/dL. I have had skin cancer (squamous) and I'm super pale/ on the red-haired spectrum, so I cannot go outside too much. I also sit at a desk inside all day. I'm not sure how much a normal person would need... Too much can give you a nasty headache.

Interesting side effect of the D3 was that it helped with my Seasonal Affective Disorder a bit last winter (I live in Arizona, so I was surprised that even here I'm having issues).
  • Neeters1969
    Options
    Thanks. I started the Vitamin D this morning. My mother is Vitamin D deficient and also suffers from SAD. We live in Canada though and the winters can be harsh. She finds it helps. I will look into it further.

Thanks for your help.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Like others I also take b12 and vit D. I also take selenium and magnesium. Upping my omega 3 was also recommended but I drink hemp protein instead of taking a supplement, it also is a fiber and protein source!

I do feel best when taking all these supplements but it is difficult when im not in a constant routine to get everything in. I try to space things out and take 1-2 supplements at a time every 3 hours or so. If I take iron, I take it at night when going to bed so it does not interfere with any other supplements. I also take my thyroid meds about 3-4am so that nothing else interferes with absorption.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My doctor has me taking D and Iron as well. I take D once a week (it's 50,000) and iron at night with a vitamin c (because I've read it helps with iron absorption). I take my Armour first thing in the morning, and everything else before I go to bed at night.
  • Betti2
    Betti2 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My Doctor has me on Vitamin D & a multivitamin. Funny thing my iron levels are really high so i dont need to worry.
    I take my Medication at approx 0600 every morning then vitamins at lunchtime or whenever.