Decisions Decisions....ugh

Options
Hildabean
Hildabean Posts: 71 Member
I have see the WL Dr now 2xs and he did an EGD on me and found that I have over a 100 polyps and I have a haertal hernia. With this finding he is suggesting Bypass instead of sleeve. This he says due to the polyps. This is due to they weaken the wall of the stomach and the soochers will have a higher risk of loosening and leaking. Also I have GERD bad and sleeve makes it worse where the bypass cures it. I was dead set against the bypass but now it looks like it is my only good choice. I like my Dr. He acts like he has all day for you....that helps. I start my classes on Sept 18. I see the Dietician and Exercise Dr's then in October I see the Dietician and Mental health Dr. Shooting for Jan/Feb for the surgery. Hubby has a better chance of being off work then to help. I really wanted the sleeve but leaning toward bypass now due to the complications told to me. At least I don't have to make that decision yet I have up till surgery to decide. Decisions Decisions

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    You can be successful with either procedure, but do what is best for your health! About 6 months before I had the sleeve surgery, my sister in law had gastric bypass. We have both done great. She even ran a race this past weekend, and a couple of years ago she never pictured herself running. It's really all about using WLS as a tool to help you achieve your goal, and if you do the things you are supposed to do, you can and will be successful!
  • Victoria5639
    Victoria5639 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Things have come along ways. I'm very glad I had mine.. It has just been 14 months since mine but it has made a wonderful difference in my life. Follow your heart and you can't go wrong.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have reflux too and had the sleeve. However, I didn't have the other issues. Garbeth is right, WLS is a tool, period. So you can be successful with any of the WLS tools, you just have to use it and keep using it even after you reach goal.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your doctor has given you great advice. He's the expert.

There are two people in my support group that have issues similar to yours, and they insisted on getting the sleeve instead. After almost two years, they both had to revise to bypass. They wish they had just done it the first time, instead of needing two surgeries.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Sounds like bypass is your only real option. It may not be what you wanted, but it is going to help you accomplish your goals more safely, and will address medical problems that you are having. This process is all about getting healthier. So life gave you lemons? Make lemonade, sister! I know you are going to do great!!