Kettlebell training when pregnant, anyone?

Options
Hi, I've been training with a kettlebell trainer for the past 20 months, 3 times/week. I am currently 22 weeks pregnant and continuing to train with few modifications needed so far. I do take more breaks, drink more water and occasionally use less weight. My belly is just starting to get in the way of things like snatches and cleans, so I have been doing them beginning with the bell on the outside of my legs - which admittedly feels a little awkward.

Just wondered if anyone on here has trained with kettlebells while pregnant. Any tips?

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I would be a little cautious with changing form swinging on the outside of the legs - the trajectory changes and as I understand it pregnancy makes the joints more hyper mobile - adding that to a potentially wider swing arc - if your snatch lock out becomes wider you will loose stability and possibly pull muscles - a friend of mine was training almost to the moment she gave birth she just dropped certain exercises as they became impossible to execute safely - I have a video of her doing pull ups 2 week before she gave birth !
  • halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I worked out with kettlebells until 38 weeks. I just made sure not to do any exercises laying on my back or any exercises that involved twisting. I mainly used lauren brooks pregnancy dvd 'baby bells' when the exercised became too difficult, I used less weight...nothing below a 12kg though
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I would be a little cautious with changing form swinging on the outside of the legs - the trajectory changes and as I understand it pregnancy makes the joints more hyper mobile - adding that to a potentially wider swing arc - if your snatch lock out becomes wider you will loose stability and possibly pull muscles - a friend of mine was training almost to the moment she gave birth she just dropped certain exercises as they became impossible to execute safely - I have a video of her doing pull ups 2 week before she gave birth !

Very good point. I definitely don't want to pull anything. Pulled a groin earlier in the pregnancy and it was rough not being able to take ibuprofen. Ouch.

I feel like cleans on the outside have been OK as long as the weight is low. But snatches really felt awkward - so that could be a recipe for injury.
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I worked out with kettlebells until 38 weeks. I just made sure not to do any exercises laying on my back or any exercises that involved twisting. I mainly used lauren brooks pregnancy dvd 'baby bells' when the exercised became too difficult, I used less weight...nothing below a 12kg though

That's awesome. I will have to check out that dvd too.
    I was mainly training w/ a 12 kg (26 lb) pre-preg or sometimes a 30 lb or 35 lb (not sure the equiv in kg). I tend to use the 20 lb bells now, mainly because I feel like my cardio endurance is less, not necessarily because strength has decreased. Overall, I'm just trying to listen to my body.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I was looking into getting "Baby Bells".
    I finally started feeling normal again at 11 weeks and need to do something to stay in shape and offset some of this eating lol

I am not fond of DVDs, but I stink at making my own routines.