Welcome

Options
natvali
natvali Posts: 3 Member
Before Ankylosing Spondylitis became an issue, I relied tremendously on workouts, especially cardio workouts, for losing weight. I used to jog 5 miles at a time pretty regularly.... Currently I can only walk for about 5 minutes before needing to sit, which is actually a great improvement from when I could walk no minutes, zero. And with no kids, and no longer being able to work, I often spend most of my time in front of one screen or the other trying to entertain myself until my husband gets home. If that's not enough of a recipe for weight gain, tasty food is that much more exciting when the rest of your life gets so boring.

If you have A.S., maybe you are going through or have been through some of these same challenges. If not, maybe you will. I hope this group can be a good place for those with AS to discuss what obstacles you have faced and also which obstacles you need help with. I hope to see encouraging words and success stories from those who have been there too.

That said... Lets track our meals and any workouts we are able to do, and lose some weight! :smile:

Replies

• nekomeishi
    nekomeishi Posts: 11
    Options
    Ranting here...

So tired of dealing with this. Not that my irritation is going to change anything, but sometimes I just want to give up. Can't sleep more than 2 hours at a stretch because moving hurts, every time I get into an exercise routine some odd extremity injury (torn ACL from walking uphill...seriously?) occurs, Etc. At least the crushing fatigue flare got better, but I'm still not real full of pep. Very depressing.

Just wanted to whine a bit to some folks that I am sure understand where I'm coming from. How are you folks doing?
    :-)
  • edeubanks
    edeubanks Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi guys,

My A.S. isn’t as advanced as yours seems to be, but I sympathize. Man, so sorry that you guys are struggling the way you do — and proud of you for resolving to lose some weight anyway!

I was a 3-sport varsity athlete in high school — cross country, track, and basketball. Needless to say, I can’t do any of those anymore! But I am able to ride my bike a good bit, which I love (except at this time of year, when Tucson hits 110 degrees regularly!). And I get to the gym to work the weights once or twice a week, too.

My hope is that, with a fairly early diagnosis of A.S., and diligence on this end with weight loss and exercise, I might stem the symptoms for a good while before it keeps me from doing these.

I’m glad to find this group!

Ed
  • nekomeishi
    Options
    Hi Ed,
    Keep moving is the best advice I can give you. The more you move and stretch, the better. I'm glad you caught it early, and I hope you can keep it under control.
    Best wishes!
  • PetiteTattoo
    PetiteTattoo Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi all.

I'm 40-something with 40+ pounds to lose. The inflammation, excess weight and advancing age are wreaking havoc with my body. I'm finding it difficult to find exercises I can actually do as I have cervical stenosis, peripheral neuropathy, facet joint disease throughout my spine, a shoulder impingement and, (since February) crazy burning heels - and that's just what I'm choosing to share. Truly no complaints here, though, I'm blessed. I'm alive, happy and enjoying my life. I have a treadmill at home so I'm going to start with walking slow on that, as well as taking walks with my dog. I have hand weights so I'll see how that goes. I don't have access to a pool, which would be most beneficial. Wondering what type of exercises you do. Maybe I can find something to incorporate into my own day.

Sending you thoughts of peace and bliss. Namaste.
  • tam8374
    tam8374 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    HI All,

I am almost 40 and I am about 115 lbs overweight. I was diagnosed with AS in July of this year, after 20 years of back issues. I haven't been able to walk or exercise for more than 5 minutes with my back. Also, just as soon as I start a workout routine, something comes up. First it was knee issues, no exercise for awhile. Then I had knee surgery. A week after that, I was put in ICU with blood clots in my lungs. The docs said with the surgery and having AS put me at a higher risk of developing those. Now I sit, uncomfortably, day in and day out right now. I'm still on sick leave at work. I was just discharged from the hospital Nov. 3. I want to lose the weight because I am told that it would help alleviate some of my AS symptoms, even though I'll probably never be pain free.

I'm looking for other AS friends.
  • laurawalker357
    laurawalker357 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    we have a lot in common , as and over a hundred to go. ill be your friend,:smile:
  • passifloraFoetida
    Options
    Hello everyone! It's good to see a few other Spondys on the site. I imagine that my AS related issues are pretty similar to everyone else's. I'm kind of to the point where I'm trying everything in my power to stay mobile. I think the hardest part for me is feeling as though I'm losing my independence. I'm lucky to have a great support network, but it's difficult to have to rely on others to the extent that I do. I want so badly to be happy, active, and productive.