Figuring Macros - personal info alert!

Options
Hello!
So I've been trying my hand at low carb for awhile now. When I stick with it, it's great! I am the variable...

Anyway, I am trying to refigure my macros because I can no longer afford the doc I was seeing who was providing a low carb/keto diet plan. My main concern is when I input my macros into settings, it tells me I should have 158 g of protein daily! I think that will be quite high. But I don't see any way around this other than to increase my carbs or fat. My doc wants me on about 1400 cals per day but could go as low as about 1300 as an average. I'm a 43 year old female and weigh around 250 lbs. I'm more sedentary than not but looking to fix that soon.

Can anyone chime in on:
1. Is the protein MFP is setting for me too high
2. What is a good ratio of carb/fat/protein to be low carb but not necessily in keto.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hi :)

I just assisted someone with this here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1433429-profile-help
    Hopefully, this will help answer some of your questions or someone else might chime in (especially since I am not the end-all-be-all embodiment of all answers).
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1. The protein setting does seam a little high for someone that is not looking to build muscle mass. If you are eating low carb then the logical thing to do is up your amount of fat, to fill in the extra calories that you have.
    2. I would suggest using http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to get an idea of the ratio of carbs/fats/protein that you want to have.
    If you don't want to do a keto diet just up the carbs to something above 50 to start.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    (especially since I am not the end-all-be-all embodiment of all answers).

Lies. all lies.

:wink:
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    (especially since I am not the end-all-be-all embodiment of all answers).

Lies. all lies.

:wink:
    Yikes! If it's true, we are truly in trouble!
    Be afraid, be very afraid.
    atqi4k.jpgejws8w.jpg
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Go to Home - Goals, scroll down, Change Goals. Set your macros here. I'm 40, 104kg. Mine are set at 21g Carbs, 151g Fat and 65g of protein to make up 1700cals.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    1. The protein setting does seam a little high for someone that is not looking to build muscle mass. If you are eating low carb then the logical thing to do is up your amount of fat, to fill in the extra calories that you have.
    2. I would suggest using http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ to get an idea of the ratio of carbs/fats/protein that you want to have.
    If you don't want to do a keto diet just up the carbs to something above 50 to start.

I use the same calculator and I really like it.
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I weigh 154 and I need 103 grams of protein a day. . I had to learn the hard way of not eating enough. . During my weight loss, for a few months I was drinking the bullet proof coffee (2 a day) and only eating one meal a day and lost all my muscle mass and strength..
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    150+ g of protein is over kill unless you are trying to bulk up while lifting. I had no problem losing weight and adding muscle with 80-100g of protein per day. Just stay consistent every day.