Carbs - Diabetics - Surprise

Options
kikih64
kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
I'm not exactly sure I have a point to this post, but just wanted to express surprise.

I have a diabetic relative, and I will admit to not knowing much about the disease. We went out to lunch last week. I am currently trying to stay lower carb (and gluten free) , so I ordered a bunless burger. She's diabetic but she ordered a burger with a bun and proceeded to eat all of it, along with a veggie soup and some fries. Out of curiousity I asked her how many grams of carbs she's "allowed" to have each day. She said 40 per meal. 120 grams a day???

After reading Keto Adapted, Grain Brain and Wheat Belly, I'm working at keeping mine under 50g to hopefully prevent nasty ailments and she's allowed 120? What am I missing here? Does this sound accurate to anyone out there with some knowledge? I've learned my lesson about "preaching" my health choices to others, so I didn't really say or ask anything more.

Wow.

Replies

• 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Sadly that is on the lower end of how many carbs diabetics are told to have in a day, and her number of allowed carbs might be higher then that as it is not counting any snacks she might have been told to have as well.

The one place I have the hardest time eating low carb and grain free at is at the home of a person that is diabetic and is considered having their disease under control. As at every meal is some combination of grains, potatoes, and/or legumes and if the "veggie" isn't corn, peas or potatoes it's some sad looking iceberg lettuce in low fat dressing.
  • ortega1990
    ortega1990 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    That's conventional medicine for ya! Heart-healthy diet and all that crap.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    That's conventional medicine for ya! Heart-healthy diet and all that crap.

This.

Most of the recommendations that I have seen given for diabetics are very wrong. I also know diabetics who ignore good advice and continue to kill themselves with food.

Yup, don't say a word. She's likely run across good advice but would rather do what she wants.

(I have a friend who is diabetic, almost blind, close to losing his feet/legs and is still having Coke for breakfast every day.)
  • deoxy4
    deoxy4 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I imagine the ADA is the first place the newly diagnosed diabetic goes for advice. For years the ADA has been giving out really bad advice to diabetics. They did not endorse a low carb diet for diabetics but a slightly modified food pyramid diet..

I had heard they had endorsed a low carbohydrate diet plan recently which would be a departure from their previous recommendation of 6 servings of "healthy grains". Your post had me search their site. If you search "diet plan " on their site you can find a daily meal plan. No one meal consisted of over 50 grams of carbohydrates BUT the total carbohydrate load for the day was 189 grams, certainly not low carb. They should be ashamed of themselves and exposed. Pharmaceutical and processed food companies fund these associations. Follow the money.
  • itzbebe
    Options
    I am what they call pre diabetic and was told I needed to start meds to control it. I refused the meds after discovering that I could control and reverse it with my diet. My A1C went from 6.7 to 6.0. After reducing carbs. Now I'm on a zero carbs and the diabetes is reversing. Carbs turn to sugar. So doesn't it make sense that removing sugar from your diet would help type 2 diabetes to reverse?. Have a new Doctor and she support my plan 100%. Check out Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. Daniel Amen web page on the subject. Type 2 diabetes is curable.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options

(I have a friend who is diabetic, almost blind, close to losing his feet/legs and is still having Coke for breakfast every day.)

This is my FIL.
    Then complains about how awful his feet and hands feel while drinking basically NO water.:noway:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    I am what they call pre diabetic and was told I needed to start meds to control it. I refused the meds after discovering that I could control and reverse it with my diet. My A1C went from 6.7 to 6.0. After reducing carbs. Now I'm on a zero carbs and the diabetes is reversing. Carbs turn to sugar. So doesn't it make sense that removing sugar from your diet would help type 2 diabetes to reverse?. Have a new Doctor and she support my plan 100%. Check out Dr. Joel Fuhrman, Dr. Mark Hyman, Dr. Daniel Amen web page on the subject. Type 2 diabetes is curable.

AWESOME that you chose to change diet to prevent diabetes. That's what I chose too. :flowerforyou:

How are you managing to eat "zero carbs"? That shouldn't be possible as vegetables contain carbohydrates and small amounts of sugar. I am definitely a fan of low and very low carb lifestyles (for people with metabolic disorder, which is most of us these days) but not ZERO carb lifestyles. There's no need to avoid most vegetables! And even low sugar fruits! Yum.

Absolutely, diabetes is preventable and curable (with lifelong commitment to a healthy diet and lifestyle).
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options

This is my FIL.
    Then complains about how awful his feet and hands feel while drinking basically NO water.:noway:

Nobody in the office wants to hear anything from me on health and nutrition anymore - I only ever offered positive info and possible ways to solve specific issues that were being discussed... but it's completely unacceptable to offer solutions.

But I am expected to listen, and sympathize, with all of their constant complaining on how sick they and their family are. And never point out that the loads of junk eaten in the office every day might be part of their problem. So I stay in my office because I am so sick of hearing everyone's health woes when they have no intention of doing a single thing about it.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    ^ Oh yeah, at work I get accused of "gloating" and trying to be superior. All I'm trying to do is tell people how much better I feel and that gluten-free, lower carb might help them too. I'm not nearly as strict as you are, so I do occasionally participate in the food-related celebrations. Then I practically get taunted about how I'm a failure. Sad.