myo inositol vs d chiro inositol - ALL LADIES PLEASE READ!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Michelle_MyBelle
    Michelle_MyBelle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but has anyone tried Pregnitude? It has 2000mg of myo-inositol, as well as 200mcg of folic acid. Thinking of ordering (only available online through the pregnitude website, amazon and the walgreens site, for about $40 for a 1 month supply).

That's pretty expensive for a one month supply of two vitamins IMO. You can buy the myo-inositol off Amazon for $55 for a huge tub that lasts me almost 3 months and you can buy folic acid for dirt cheap at any drug store/walmart, etc.

I thought the same thing! I'm super cheap, and I was trying to research if taking just folic acid supplelent + a myo-inositol supplement would be the same thing (since this apparently all that Pregnitude has) and some of what I read was that you would have to take large amounts of the myo to get the equivalent of the amount in that product (2000mg) and that in the long run, you end up spending the same, or more. I'll have to do some more research before ordering. Thanks for the advice! :)
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old post, but has anyone tried Pregnitude? It has 2000mg of myo-inositol, as well as 200mcg of folic acid. Thinking of ordering (only available online through the pregnitude website, amazon and the walgreens site, for about $40 for a 1 month supply).

That's pretty expensive for a one month supply of two vitamins IMO. You can buy the myo-inositol off Amazon for $55 for a huge tub that lasts me almost 3 months and you can buy folic acid for dirt cheap at any drug store/walmart, etc.

I thought the same thing! I'm super cheap, and I was trying to research if taking just folic acid supplelent + a myo-inositol supplement would be the same thing (since this apparently all that Pregnitude has) and some of what I read was that you would have to take large amounts of the myo to get the equivalent of the amount in that product (2000mg) and that in the long run, you end up spending the same, or more. I'll have to do some more research before ordering. Thanks for the advice! :)

You might want to start with less to see how you react also. I started taking only one scoopful everyday and it shortened my period to a 22-25 day cycle. Now i take one scoopful every other day and i'm at my normal 28-30 day cycle. 2000mg might be way too much for you and your body chemistry.

Just a thought, as always you have to do what you think is best for you.
  • yksin
    yksin Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello all. I was researching d-chiro way back in 2008 & then life intervened & I forgot all about it — but I remembered it just yesterday & have been updating my research. So, I have some possible good news for those of you investigating this track who have been worried about its cost.

Per http://examine.com/supplements/Inositol/#summary7-0

"Other studies have noted improvements in androgen and glucose metabolism (the main concerns with PCOS from a health perspective[138]) that exceed placebo with 12 weeks usage of 1,200mg myo-inositol,[135] 8-12 weeks usage of 2,000mg myo-inositol,[134][146] up to three months supplementation of 4,000mg myo-inositol,[147] and :smile: combined therapy with myo-inositol (550mg) and D-chiro-inositol (13.8mg) over 12 weeks.[3] :smile: "

(Those numbers in brackets refer to scientific studies.)

Read the rest of that section as well, as it says more about COMBINED THERAPY for various issues that come up with PCOS (such as fertility) using both myo & d-chiro-insoitol, generally in about a 40:1 ratio (myo to d-chiro) — and in this combined therapy, the dosage for BOTH is far lower then when either is used on its own. Basically, they have a synergistic effect. I spent some time on Pubmed today locating studies, including some quite recent, and some of these appear to confirm the 40:1 synergistic ration between myo & d-chiro. I'll be glad to share the citations & abstracts if you're interested.

In practical terms, best I can tell nobody is making a supplement with this ratio, so at this point one is stuck buying both products & figuring out how to mix them at that ratio. Well, that's what I'm going to do. I just ordered two bottles of Chiral Balance's DCI (600 mgs d-chiro-inositol, 60 pills per bottle). Those pills appear to be pure d-chiro-inositol in a vegetarian capsule, which means they can be opened up & the powder spilled out. I will simply start by measuring out around 14 grams on my counter scale & mixing it with the 550 mg of myo-inositol. Thus, one 600 mg pill from Chiral Balance will supply 42 doses of the d-chiro-inositol needed for this combined therapy.

Edit: Brain flatulence! My scale measures grams, but not milligrams, so I'll either have to find a finer measuring system, or just satisfy myself with larger than ratio dosages of the d-chiro. Not sure that it has to be at such an exacting ratio in the first place....

— Mel in Anchorage, AK
  • Michelle_MyBelle
    Michelle_MyBelle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing that info, yksin! :)
  • MacguyverMommy
    MacguyverMommy Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    From what I've been told in the past, I'm not insulin resistant. I have some of the typical symptoms of PCOS, though - hair loss where I don't want it, hair gain where I don't want it, constant hunger, mood swings, etc. If you're not insulin resistant, though, is this still potentially beneficial?
  • sunmaid_1985
    sunmaid_1985 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MissRaeFaye
    Options
    I'm so glad you posted this!! Thanks for all the info and links!! You already answered a couple of my questions too. This is awesome!! :)
  • littleklee
    littleklee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I see that this thread is pretty old but I wanted to share my success story with myoinositol! We had been ttc for 2 years and I was at my witts end with everything, I had only gotten two periods the whole time and was very frustrated. I found out about myoinositol and decided to try it. In just 3 months it had given me two periods and my BFP! We then found out that we were pregnant with twins! Unfortunately we just lost them at 12 weeks (chromosomal issues, nothing to do with the pcos) I am devistated but SO hopeful that I will have another bfp soon thanks to this amazing supplement! Never give up hope ladies!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @littleklee - I'm incredibly sorry for your loss, but I'm thrilled for your progress and successes, too. Sending all my best thoughts and hopes for another BFP for you ...
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @littleklee thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry for the loss of your babies. Glad the myoinositol seemed to help you though; hope you get a sticky rainbow baby soon! <3
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I bought a container of inositol (I think Jarrow brand?) months ago but haven't gotten around to experimenting with. Too many various meds and supplements to experiment with!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I took your advice and bought a container of inositol. I just started it 2 days ago so this may be coincidence but I just got my period! (if I don't take hormones my body normally doesn't produce a period so this is really exciting news). I'm looking forward to seeing how else my body reacts to inositol, but so far it's looking really good.
  • ayaanakhtar2010
    ayaanakhtar2010 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi

Just want to know will taking 1200 mg of dci and 2000 mg of myo work for anyone? Or is it too much? Thanks
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have a tub of myoinositol but have not taken it regularly. I think I took it consistently for two weeks, and then stopped. I did not feel any different on vs off.
    I have been on metformin for about 6 months and if anything, my libido is kaput.
    Nada.
    Zip.
    Zero.
    Zilch.
    Nonexistent.
    I'm stopping the metformin and will start taking myoinositol tomorrow and see what happens...