Weigh ins

Options
Mom2Cubs
Mom2Cubs Posts: 60 Member
How about a thread where we can talk numbers and encourage each other on our losses (and help deal with bumps in the road). Sometimes it is hard to keep up with all the posts on the home page and this way, we will be less likely to miss someone's newest achievement.

Replies

• mikesgirl4evr
    mikesgirl4evr Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Mom2Cubs, sounds like a great idea. While the numbers are reality and what most of us equate with success, we don't want to over emphasis just the number on the scale. We could also discuss losses in inches as sometimes the scale doesn't move but the inches do. Just a thought.

I'll start, I weighed in this morning at 289.4. The scale has finally moved downward!!!! I have been on a plateau for the longest time. I recently did some reassessment of my calorie intake. For the first couple of years post-op, my calorie intake was abnormally low. After a few years my body began to re-adjust to the changes I had made to my insides and began processing foods more normally. I've been following MFP's calorie recommendation with little to no success. I have actually increased my calories by about 600 calories and the scale is finally moving downward. My body had obviously moved into starvation mode and was holding onto every ounce it could. Now I'm feeding it more and it's willing to let go of some.

One more bit of advice for all that are getting ready to have surgery. Take pre-op pictures and then continue to take pictures throughout your journey. There will be times when the scale isn't moving or you just feel like you're not losing but when you compare the pictures you WILL be able to see a difference and it can be the morale booster you need.

Dee
  • Mom2Cubs
    Options
    Congrats on the moving scale. I agree, inches lost is just as important and pounds. I need to redo my measurements and take some pictures this weekend.:wink:
  • original_mami
    original_mami Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Awesome topic! I love to see how much one has lost for me it just inspires me to push myself I love this thread haha

Ms. Dee I agree with your post Pics are very important to have before and through out it's an awesome way to see just how far you've come and not just by numbers. My sister in law says that no matter how much weight you loose you'll still have "fast girl syndrome" so having those pics in front of you will be a good tool to have.

Also how many calories are you allowed to have post-op?

My process so far: 3 week liquid diet lost a total of 16 lbs FP says 15 but w/e LOL 1 inch in waist
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    Your SIL is right. You so always have that "fat girl" syndrome especially if you're not able to have the skin removal surgery. It's a very important part of the mental part of the surgery. That's a huge reason why pictures are SO important. It's also very important to get to the emotional aspect of "why" you turn to food. For me, it was childhood sexual abuse which led to and was compounded by a food addiction. It is so important to deal with these issues in the first two years post-op. That is the time frame when you lose the most. What the surgeons don't tell you is that after that your body begins to adjust to what it considers two years of starvation. The malabsorption of vitamins and minerals is forever but the malabsorption of calories usually only last a maximum of two years. That doesn't mean your doomed to gain the weight back it just means that it is so important to learn how to follow your lifestyle changes and deal with the emotional issues in those first 2 years. WLS doesn't mean you will never have to deal with food issues again. I don't mean to discourage anyone because I'd have mine again in the blink of an eye. It has literally changed my life. The only thing I would have changed is that I would have gotten into therapy much earlier.

As for the amount of calories am "allowed" post-op, that's a tough one. For me personally I just recently upped my calorie intake. I have been stuck at a plateau for over a year and I was eating 1600 calories a day. After doing some research, eating that amount was actually sending my body into starvation. I have upped them to 2000 and the scale is moving down again. I know that will probably sound like a lot of calories to you. But you have to remember, I am 8 1/2 years post-op and I still weigh 290 pounds. Much better than 500+ pounds but still technically morbidly obese. That's a very depressing though if I ponder on it too much.......lose over 200 pounds and still be morbidly obese. So I guess the short of it is that your calorie consumption years post-op will depend on your body and how it reacts to the calories you take in and burn off. It's very individual. I know people who started out at a lower weight therefore they reached much lower weights in the end and they are only taking in around 1000 calories a day. Hope I didn't confuse or discourage anyone. It was not my intent.
  • original_mami
    Options
    HELL NO Ms Dee. that is a HUGE loss and don't you dare take that away from yourself you deserve to be just as excited about your loss as anyone else. Everyone hits a block when it comes to loosing weight and this is great information to know. To not expect for the pounds to drop off but to see the WLS as a tool and not a all fixer upper because with out the hard work we won't get far. I'm very proud of you ms. Dee I sure hope you don't get discouraged.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    Oh no, I'm not getting discouraged. I have no intent on giving up. I have made a complete lifestyle change. I'm not always perfect, but hell, who is? The loss might be slow (sometimes way too slow) but I have to remember I did this entire journey to get healthier. Losing weight is just a side effect. I'm off my high blood pressure and high cholesterol meds, I can move around and do so many things I couldn't do before and I'm not living the life of a hermit anymore. Even if I wasn't to lose another ounce, I still consider my WLS to be a success. After all, I'm 8 1/2 year post-op and and I have lost 70% of my excess weight (I set my end goal as 199) and I have lost 58% of the person I used to be. Like I said, a complete success!!!!!
  • Mom2Cubs
    Options
    I don't think there is a set number of calories you should have. Your diet progression will be based on your doctor and each doctor has different ideas. So far, I have a hard time getting in 500 calories. There is literally no hunger, so I have to remind myself to eat (and remind myself to fix food for my kids! I don't want them eating junk all the time.) I think the main thing is to focus on getting enough protein (60-65 grams per day), which I have yet to come close to doing. You will find your taste will change so you have to find foods or protein drinks you can tolerate to get the required nutrients.
  • Marlene5280
    Marlene5280 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    As for post-op calories for me, I have been told by my doc and nutritionist not to think about calories but to focus on getting 60-85 g of protein per day. It is a hard concept to grasp for me because I've been so focused on calorie intake in the past when trying to lose weight. I'm failrly new to this and so I am still adjusting my mind set to using my sleeve as my tool and not a diet per se.
    My daily focus in not on the calories, it is on protein, water and exercise. (I'm 7 weeks post-op)
  • Mom2Cubs
    Options
    I agree with Sleevie. I am trying increase my protein and my water intake. (and exercise)
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    PLEASE keep in mind when reading about my "allowed" post-op calorie intake that I am 8 1/2 years post-op, I would never suggest that someone who just had surgery eat like this. Of course, when you first have surgery you won't worry about calories. You are more worried with getting your protein and water in and you should be. Just wanted to make sure no one misunderstood me.
    As for the amount of calories am "allowed" post-op, that's a tough one. For me personally I just recently upped my calorie intake. I have been stuck at a plateau for over a year and I was eating 1600 calories a day. After doing some research, eating that amount was actually sending my body into starvation. I have upped them to 2000 and the scale is moving down again. I know that will probably sound like a lot of calories to you. But you have to remember, I am 8 1/2 years post-op and I still weigh 290 pounds. Much better than 500+ pounds but still technically morbidly obese. That's a very depressing though if I ponder on it too much.......lose over 200 pounds and still be morbidly obese. So I guess the short of it is that your calorie consumption years post-op will depend on your body and how it reacts to the calories you take in and burn off. It's very individual. I know people who started out at a lower weight therefore they reached much lower weights in the end and they are only taking in around 1000 calories a day.
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    OMG, I'm doing the happy dance!!!! I am down to my lowest weight in over a year!!! Who knew that eating more calories would cause me to lose weight? Just doesn't make sense. In 9 days I have lost 6 pounds!!!!
  • original_mami
    Options
    I've moved the notch I am so happy it felt FOREVER to get there! Fit Pal says I lost 3lbs always taking that 1 pound from me LOL but it doesn't matter I moved that notch down! woo woo time to celebrate with a big ol' juicy hamburger j.k
  • mikesgirl4evr
    Options
    Awesome Michelle!!!! I am so happy for you. I can't wait till I hit that 250 mark again
  • original_mami
    Options
    thanks Dee! I'm so proud of you for how much you've lost keep up the great work!