Hat vs. Visor vs. Sunglasses

Options
I'm just wondering what everyone uses when running outside on a sunny day. Do you wear just one of the above three, or a combination? Also, do you have any suggestions of brands/models of hats/visors/sunglasses? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I wear sunglasses when its sunny. I usually only wear a hat if it is rainy to keep rain out of my face. A hat makes me too hot otherwise.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I wore a straw hat for a race as a joke; I actually liked it! Kept the sun off my face and ears! I always wear sunglasses if the sun is out.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Just sunglasses. I have a hat but even though it's intended for running I feel too hot with it on. Haven't tried a visor.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Halo headband and sunglasses
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    BTW...OP... if you are in Minneapolis do you even get sunny days??
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Breathable ball cap, keeps my short hair covered so I don't look like a total dork.
  • suetorrence
    suetorrence Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Nike brand visor (lightweight model) and sunglasses.
  • Kupe
    Kupe Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Nike featherlite cap in summer, I found sunglass bounce and get really uncomforatble.

Beanie in winter
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    Hat always - great for sun or rain, keeps the sweat and my fringe out if my eyes. I find sunglasses either bounce of my nose and irritate me or start to hurt somewhere after an hour or so. The only time I would really like them is on sunny days when the pavement is wet - the reflection from the ground hurts my eyes!

As for type of hat, I wear a running cap from Adidas - super lightweight and washes and dries well.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I wear Glasses, so my running glasses are also sunglasses. On hotter days or rainy days I wear a running hat, ball cap. It helps keep the seat from dipping in my eyes or the rain off my glasses.
  • sgonzalezblanco
    sgonzalezblanco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    BTW...OP... if you are in Minneapolis do you even get sunny days??

LOL! My husband and I actually got really sunburned on Sunday!
  • jstrun
    jstrun Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I wear a hat only when its raining, usually I wear a lulu lemon headband, i find it absorbs my sweat better and i get less salt in the eyes! I never wear sunglasses either...i guess the sun just doesnt bother me, i'd rather have nothing on my face to be honest
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    hat and sunglasses with a strap for me so if it gets overcast I can let them hang down

29509743.png
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Almost always wear a peaked running cap. Before I began doing so I was concerned it would make me hot, but it's breathable and I don't feel any discomfort.

Aside from keeping rain off the face in the wet and sun out of the eyes during the 2 weeks of English summer, I also find that it acts as a bit of sweatband and keeps the sweat out of my eyes. This has probably become the main benefit for me.

One slight negative, when running 2 hours or more, the cap does get pretty wet (sweaty) and the benefit stops. I intend having someone swap it out for me half way thru my marathon next month.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hat. Does many things. Keeps rain out of my eyes. Sun out of my eyes. Sweat off my face. Good stuff. Though I look like a moron in a hat :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Hat only if it's raining.
    Sunglasses always.
    Visor if I'm ever an Ironman finisher.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Sunglasses will also keep bugs out of your eyes.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Hat in the rain, or for runs where I know that my run will outlast the sunlight so sunglasses just become something I have to carry.

Sunglasses for daylight runs.

No to visors.

In the cooler temperatures I wear my Buff as a headband/ear warmer, or around my neck/mouth. . . when it's really cold but still sunny, I wear my sunglasses under my balaclava.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Pretty much always wear a hat. That way my bald spot doesn't get sunburned. I have prescription running glasses that darken in sunlight; I wear those all the time unless it is raining; then I wear contacts. But I still wear the hat.

edit: Oh, and suggestions: I like Brooks running caps, and my running glasses are Rudy Project Horus -- I believe you can get them as "just sunglasses" as well. There is never any problem with bounce or sliding off with these glasses.
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    None of the above a hat sometimes if it's raining or I'm having a bad hair day. It's about just running and getting it over...lol