Tips

Options
I've just starting swimming again after years away from it. I used to swim competitively in high school which was about 10 years ago. Sadly I've grown to be very overweight/obese and out of shape. I joined my local gym and have been swimming laps for about 35 minutes each day. Just curious if you all had any tips for someone like me who is using swimming as their primary weight loss tool and is just getting back into it.

Replies

• Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use swimming as my only exercise. My L) knee will need replacing and I find swimming the only sensible way for me to exercise.
    I couldn't even swim one lap when I started back in the pool (after 40 years of never swimming a lap) in January.

http://swimming.about.com/od/sampleswimworkouts/a/8_week_plan.htm

This guys web pages are useful and there are many more I'm sure.

I like long distance swimming so I now freestyle (crawl) 3kms 5-6 times a week. I use fins and a snorkel. The snorkel made life easier as I was getting a stiff neck from only being able to breath on one side and the fins make me use my leg muscles more.

:flowerforyou:
  • AquaticQuests
    AquaticQuests Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Gradually increase distance covered and speed!
    Think about and refine your technique each time you swim!
    Swimming is great and my primary exercise too!
    :-)
  • Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've just starting swimming again after years away from it. I used to swim competitively in high school which was about 10 years ago. Sadly I've grown to be very overweight/obese and out of shape. I joined my local gym and have been swimming laps for about 35 minutes each day. Just curious if you all had any tips for someone like me who is using swimming as their primary weight loss tool and is just getting back into it.

I'm similar to you. I swam on summer teams growing up but hadn't swum since I was a teenager (I'm 45 now). I started swimming again in April as soon as I was no longer in the "morbidly" obese category and had dropped down into the obese category. I started by swimming 25 yard sprints followed by 25 yard slow and easy. I would do that about 15 times and call it a day. After a month or so, I started adding distance swims into the mix. I would do 25 yard sprints + 25 yard slow and easy and then do 100 yard intervals for the remaining workout time. Over time, I would increase my intervals from 100 to 200 to 300, etc. Needless to say, my workouts got longer - from 30 minutes to 45 minutes, an hour, and now I swim between an hour to an hour and a half doing 500, 1000, 1750 (mile), 2500, and 3500 yard intervals (not all of them in the same workout, of course). My weight really took off between the time I started swimming and now (I started at 163 in April and am down to 120).
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    just keep at it.
    you will find you increase time/ distance naturally as you get more proficient thru regularity.
    i have gone from 600 metres to a regular 2k plus daily in 9 weeks.
    g luck.
  • Leaping_Lemur
    Leaping_Lemur Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    As you'll swim more, you'll find yourself swimming longer distances without realizing the progress you made. Keep a log of your laps or your time -- it's nice to look back and see how far you've come! I nearly always swim 40 laps (2000 yards, or 1.14 miles) whenever I get in the pool. A year ago, I was usually swimming 25 or 30 laps. Two years ago I was usually swimming 15 laps. I had not idea I'd gone up so far; swimming 40 just feels natural to me know, and I'd forgotten that I haven't been doing this forever!
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    All of these responses are on the money. Having been a swimmer before, you will get back into the habit pretty quickly - just keep pushing yourself to go & to increase your workouts as you shake the rust off. Your form will also come back fairly quickly, try to remember the things you used to work on at practice back when you were on the team. Should you have any questions, post them in the Swimmers' forum - there are plenty of knowledgeable people on here......

Welcome back to the pool & happy swimming!!!
  • PoesyP
    PoesyP Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You probably won't need this tip if you used to swim competitively but it's my best one! Always remember that "swimming" means as many different things as walking/running. If you're doing it for exercise, the key thing is how much effort you're putting in - it can be very easy to slip into "walking around the park smelling the flowers" type swimming where you won't actually burn very many calories - especially as you get better and better at it and doing the same thing takes less and less effort.