Another newbie, another question

Options
Pete1964AK
Pete1964AK Posts: 85 Member
Hi all

I've been looking into DDP for the last few days and questioned a couple of people and also read a fair bit.
So, I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and order this and get stuck in.
As someone just starting to lose weight, and who's idea of flexibility is being thankful I can get my socks on every day, I'm a little daunted by the thought of it.

My main question is - is an HRM required, agood idea or not really necessary ?

Oh and a further thought - dynamic resistance ? I've seen the trailers and I've tried clenching my muscles and doing a movement - I can do one of those things but not both at the same time.......... I hope that is something that is well explained and gets easier to do.

Replies

• thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    The whole dynamic resistance thing is explained well. I'm sure you'll pick it up quickly. The program did wonders for my flexibility.

HRM's seem to be suggested, but I never picked one up, so I can't claim they're 100% necessary. What they are good for is helping you remain within your target heart rate zone.
  • Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I got a polar ft4. I don't always hit my target yet but working on it :)
  • Pete1964AK
    Pete1964AK Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    So, I went ahead and ordered the dvds, and as chance would have it, I managed to convince myself that a Polar FT4 heart monitor would be useful for this and my (infrequent) bike rides.

I've been watching the Diamond Dozen a fair bit and it wasn't until I started using the HRM I fully realised how little I must actually have been engaging.
    First work out down, and I can confirm, I have a scary lack of flexibility and startingly poor strength. Plus, I still haven't fully worked out how to engage, breath and do the move all at the same time.

On the plus side, even if I actually only expended relatively few calories doing it, I definitely felt like I was stretching "things".
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I saw the Diamond Dozen as a practice session. I don't wear a HRM, but I do tend to get hot and sometimes breathless doing the workouts, which didn't happen with the Diamond Dozen. I'm still working on the breathing, to be honest, about 6 months in, but there is a lot of repetition and you do get used to engaging and moving at the same time.
  • 1RadChick
    1RadChick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've been doing DDP Yoga for about 14 months, and I DO use a heart rate monitor, religiously. I am able to keep in my fat burning zone and, even though I was really athletically active when I was younger, it's been very helpful in not having my heart rate go too high. I recommend it, you really learn a lot. :) Hope this helps!