Running 1st HM in 10 days....

Options
I am running my very first half marathon in 10 days, and the nerves are starting to creep in. I have been training since May, and am not a very fast runner by any means - but from my training runs I am looking at about a 2:30:00 time for me. Which considering I couldn't run 3 miles without stopping 6 months ago, I'll take it. I have been trying to be as educated as I can throughout the entire training time, but I am honestly starting to freak out a little bit about this race coming up so quickly. I have done well with sticking to my training plan, and I am confident I can run the entire race...but alas, I am turning to all of you much more seasoned pros for some advice!

What are things that I should know going into the day of the race? That morning? Any tips or things you wish you had known before your first race? I have done other 5k and 10k races, but never a HM.

Any and all advice is appreciated :) Maybe some day I'll join the group of marathon runners, but quite a bit more training before I can hit that level. A girl can dream, right?

Replies

• smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Plan where you are going to park. Plan where you are going to meet up with anyone afterwards. Physically go there if possible before race day and get the lay of the land. Expect your phone to die/have lousy reception. Relax and trust your training. Eat like you would for a long run, or maybe something light and bland. Don't carb load the night before, but having an extra serving of pasta 2 days before won't kill you. Don't give into the temptation to race out of the gate, slow and steady keeps you from dying at mile 10. Walk through the water stops. Skip the first water stop. Have a cup of coffee in the morning to move things along before the portapotty line. Get in the portapotty line anyways. Sunscreen. Brimmed hat. No new gear.

A pull on sundress and dry underwear in your gear bag will make you so happy, as will some baby wipes. Seriously, pull on the sundress, pull everything off underneath it, slip on new underwear = new woman and no need to revisit the portapotty to change.

If there is beer at the finish have someone watch your split time and have one waiting for you so you can just enjoy the glow of accomplishment without standing in line for that damn beer ;)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Bring some spare toilet paper in case the portaloos have run out.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Lotta pressure. You gotta rise above it. You gotta harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. Feel the flow Happy. Feel it. It's circular. It's like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse, it goes up and down, and AROUND. It's circular. Circle, with the music, the flow. All good things.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    The start and finish lines are a heck of a buzz. You'll love it.

You'll already have read the more obvious items I am sure:
    - try nothing new on race day
    - don't go out too fast at the start
    But they are worthy of repeating because each one can lead to a miserable experience.

I'd suggest:
    - if it's likely to be raining that day, have a throwaway poncho (or make one from a large rubbish bag) to wear before the start
    - also if its going to rain take a peaked cap to keep it off your face
    - prepare all your kit the night before, pin on your race number etc
    - if planning to wear headphone, make sure they are allowed
    - get up early, good breakfast 3 hours before the start (but not something you don't normally have), good bowel movement
    - drink a good amount of water
    - leave the house early in case of traffic - expect parking to be a bloody nightmare
    - stop drinking water about 1 hr before the start
    - have a little bit of water 15 mins before start time
    - pee before the start. If you haven't pooped already, try again.
    - some races have pace board markers. Others you have to ask around. Be in the right zone for your pace. It's demoralising to have 500 people overtake you in the first 5 minutes - but uplifting if you are overtaking a few people yourself
    - enjoy yourself. It's a heck of an achievement and you're going to love it.
  • smarionette
    Options
    Oh yeah. Lotta pressure. You gotta rise above it. You gotta harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad. Feel the flow Happy. Feel it. It's circular. It's like a carousel. You pay the quarter, you get on the horse, it goes up and down, and AROUND. It's circular. Circle, with the music, the flow. All good things.

:tongue:

I was mentally streaming this in my head https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwVVpwBKUp0

/edit for linkage to explain my brain dump
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options

Psycho!

/edit I have bad speeling.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options
    Give yourself extra time to use the bathrooms before the race. There will most likely be a decent line.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to enjoy yourself during your race. Smile. Say thank you to the Volunteers. High Five a kid on the sidelines. Give the ol' gun to the head pose when you pass a photographer on the course.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    Don't forget to enjoy yourself during your race. Smile. Say thank you to the Volunteers. High Five a kid on the sidelines. Give the ol' gun to the head pose when you pass a photographer on the course.

Yep! Have fun, enjoy yourself :)

H20W4lml.jpg
  • K_Emily_Ann
    K_Emily_Ann Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Plan where you are going to park. Plan where you are going to meet up with anyone afterwards. Physically go there if possible before race day and get the lay of the land. Expect your phone to die/have lousy reception. Relax and trust your training. Eat like you would for a long run, or maybe something light and bland. Don't carb load the night before, but having an extra serving of pasta 2 days before won't kill you. Don't give into the temptation to race out of the gate, slow and steady keeps you from dying at mile 10. Walk through the water stops. Skip the first water stop. Have a cup of coffee in the morning to move things along before the portapotty line. Get in the portapotty line anyways. Sunscreen. Brimmed hat. No new gear.

A pull on sundress and dry underwear in your gear bag will make you so happy, as will some baby wipes. Seriously, pull on the sundress, pull everything off underneath it, slip on new underwear = new woman and no need to revisit the portapotty to change.

If there is beer at the finish have someone watch your split time and have one waiting for you so you can just enjoy the glow of accomplishment without standing in line for that damn beer ;)

Great advice! I am definitely going to use the sundress idea, I thought about having a change of clothes waiting in the car, but if my family can have a sundress in tow for me at the end, just to avoid portapotties as much as possible, I'm doing it.

Beer?! After all the calories I just burned running?! SERIOUSLY?!

I kid. I didn't even think about that when I was determining which HM I wanted to do, but I am thinking free beer will influence my decision on any future races. :)
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the moment :) It will be a great sense of accomplishment.

Good luck!!!!!
  • smarionette
    Options

I kid. I didn't even think about that when I was determining which HM I wanted to do, but I am thinking free beer will influence my decision on any future races. :)

One of the running groups I run with is called the Fishtown Beer Runners, and honestly a LOT of the races here in Philly end with free beer. It is wonderful. I don't recommend an IPA/DoubleIPA/Stout after a half, but a nice pale ale? mmmmmm

Also, I seriously felt like a genius when I first figured out the sundress thing.
  • K_Emily_Ann
    Options

This is the greatest. Thank you. I just replayed this about 5 times in my head :)
  • K_Emily_Ann
    Options
    I am also doing this race by myself, so that's new for me too. Usually always have a race-buddy, but will have to try and hold my own!
  • K_Emily_Ann
    Options

Absolutely this! Thanks for the reminder :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Great advice! I am definitely going to use the sundress idea, I thought about having a change of clothes waiting in the car, but if my family can have a sundress in tow for me at the end, just to avoid portapotties as much as possible, I'm doing it.

So I'm not a total slore for doing the sundress thing at the beach? Awesome!
  • K_Emily_Ann
    Options
    What is everyone's opinion on headphones during a race? (Assuming that they are allowed by the race, of course). I have been switching back and forth during my longer runs with listening to music or not listening at all, but I am not sure what the norm is for a longer race. Do a lot of people use headphones? Put one ear piece in, music on quieter to be able to hear those around you? No music, so you're able to hear crowds, etc.?

Thank you all again for the advice!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    Options
    What is everyone's opinion on headphones during a race? (Assuming that they are allowed by the race, of course). I have been switching back and forth during my longer runs with listening to music or not listening at all, but I am not sure what the norm is for a longer race. Do a lot of people use headphones? Put one ear piece in, music on quieter to be able to hear those around you? No music, so you're able to hear crowds, etc.?

Always do, but not going to for 5K races anymore. I wear Yurbuds because they magically allow me to hear music and hear people around me. The most important thing is that you are able to hear if someone is trying to warn you of something.

Don't be like the middle finger lady - if she wasn't listening to her jam, she would have heard the other lady coming up from behind.

Mp5q4tq.png
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options

I think if you are comfortable doing long runs without headphones, you'll have a much better time during the race without them. You can interact with the other runners, hear when people are cheering for you, and just enjoy the moment you've been training so hard for.

Otherwise the advice I've seen here is pretty good. I prefer to stop drinking water about 2 hours before the race, but 1 hour would probably work too. You don't have to overload on the water: If your pee is clear, you've had plenty to drink.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,983 Member
    Options

I always do. And I second having earphones that allow you to hear ambient noises, such as the Yurbuds. I also keep my music low enough so I can hear it but still hear the ambient noises.