Running 1st HM in 10 days....

Options
2»

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, one more suggestion: If you have folks cheering you on, wear something VERY distinctive so they don't miss you going by. Don't wear the race shirt or a shirt with the same colors as the race shirt, and try to wear a hat or something high up that will make you easy to spot. It also helps if you pre-arrange where they will be watching so you can look for them.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's opinion on headphones during a race? (Assuming that they are allowed by the race, of course). I have been switching back and forth during my longer runs with listening to music or not listening at all, but I am not sure what the norm is for a longer race. Do a lot of people use headphones? Put one ear piece in, music on quieter to be able to hear those around you? No music, so you're able to hear crowds, etc.?

Thank you all again for the advice!

In all my local races, earphones are banned. The opinions of the race directors trump the opinions of the racers.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    r
    What is everyone's opinion on headphones during a race? (Assuming that they are allowed by the race, of course). I have been switching back and forth during my longer runs with listening to music or not listening at all, but I am not sure what the norm is for a longer race. Do a lot of people use headphones? Put one ear piece in, music on quieter to be able to hear those around you? No music, so you're able to hear crowds, etc.?

I listen to music and also use Runkeeper to tell me what my intervals are. I use one earbud, and then wrap the other one around my bra strap to keep it out of the way. No problems so far. Can still hear other runners/crowd/etc without missing my music. I use some cheap Panasonic earbuds that do a good job of staying in and letting me listen to what I need.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'll echo the "don't go out too fast" and "get there early." But I think the one about having a good time is the most important. This is a first and you only get one of those ;) Enjoy it!!!! And smile when you cross the finish line!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options

Always do, but not going to for 5K races anymore. I wear Yurbuds because they magically allow me to hear music and hear people around me. The most important thing is that you are able to hear if someone is trying to warn you of something.

Don't be like the middle finger lady - if she wasn't listening to her jam, she would have heard the other lady coming up from behind.

Mp5q4tq.png

OMG!!!!! This is the funniest thing ever LOL!!!!!!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half in July (training for another one in October).

I feel I made one big mistake. Like many long races which start in the canyons here in Utah, a lot of the course was downhill. Once in the valley, other than a few gradual gentle hills, there was a stretch about one block long where there was a steep incline (at about mile 10 or so) which was the only sharp uphill on the entire course. I tried to power up the hill and once I made the turn at the top onto a flatter stretch my energy dropped considerably for the last few miles. Should have slowed down going up as I ended up losing a lot more time over the last few miles then I saved racing up that relatively short hill.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Depending on the HM and if you have to prove a time to get into a category (we really only need to do this for elite status in a lot of ours in the UK), I would put down a faster time than I expect.
    I done The Great North Run on Sunday which is a half marathon, 56,000 runners and I couldn't get a chance to find my stride, people slowing down and walking in front of me, walking in a pack, my legs were done in with having to dodge round them, slowing down to get past them etc, I would rather have put down a quicker time, have people over take me, but still be able to find my stride (I did walk in some sections, but I looked over both shoulders before slowing down to make sure I wasn't in anyones running line)!!
    Extra toilet paper is a good idea, if you're carrying a pack with gels etc, I would see if you can fit in hand sanitiser as well.

You'll find someone to run with on the day, there'll be someone that you overtake, then they overtake you and you end up chatting!!

Enjoy it, it probably won't be your last!
  • K_Emily_Ann
    K_Emily_Ann Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the great advice!

I am feeling much more excited now for the race than nervous now. Can't wait to get this first one done and start looking for others! Who knows, maybe next year I'll be able to amp up to a full marathon. We'll see :)
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Depending on the HM and if you have to prove a time to get into a category (we really only need to do this for elite status in a lot of ours in the UK), I would put down a faster time than I expect.

Please don't do that. It's poor form. We ALL have to bob and dive around people, and claiming to be faster than you are only adds to the problem for everyone else. The first mile or two are always crowded as things shake out, just expect it and keep your pace appropriate or even a bit slower than you want. It will even out in the end.
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lay everything out the night before... get plenty of sleep! I got 3 hours the morning of my first, those nerves. Definitely don't go out too fast, after tapering and the adrenaline of race day you might think you can crush your goal time by 30 minutes but you'll start to think around mile 9 that that wasn't such a good idea! If it's hot, which it shouldn't be, but watch your electrolyte levels if you have those issues.

Best of luck to you!

Just to put things in perspective for you, I walked/ran a half marathon last October. Ran a half in April. And I've got a full in November. So just enjoy this race and you'll be surprised where you are at this point next year.
  • michable
    michable Posts: 312 Member
    Options

I have run 2 half marathons, one with music, and one without. I do all of my training by myself, with music, so when I read that it was etiquette not to wear earbuds/headphones in my 2nd HM, I was devastated. Didn't want to breach etiquette, but didn't know if I could go the distance without music to motivate me. Decided to go without music, and did find that I was more aware of what was going on around me, and did chat a little bit to other runners. I did have one song in my head on repeat for most of the race, however. I'm thinking about making that one song into a 2 hour play list for my next HM.

(Standing in the Ocean by Calling all Cars, if you want to check it out.)

And I definitely second taking your own loo paper, because the porta-loo will be out for sure.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

In all my local races, earphones are banned. The opinions of the race directors trump the opinions of the racers.

This.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    You've got a lot of great advice (I'm running my next half-marathon on 9/20).

In addition to not going out too fast, adjust your pace according to weather conditions. I set a new my PR just a couple of weeks ago in really humid, muggy conditions. It was the first race of the "fall season" so I had not run a half since June. I trained all summer in the heat (I am training for another marathon in November so these halfs are just training/tune-up races for me), but I slowed my pace from the start for the heat and humidity. But where people were fading at the end, I was still going strong and maintaining a good pace (faster than the start). Most fun of all, was the number of people I overtook in the last 3 miles and particularly in the last 1.1 miles.

Coming down the home stretch I chased two people down and a third person caught up with me with about 200 yards to go. But he didn't have anything left and when I accelerated just a bit more, he had no chance of keeping up with me. Sometimes you can make a game of it, particularly when you are running on your own.

I was thoroughly soaked from the sweat (and then it rained after I finished).

On headphones and music, it first depends upon whether the race allows them. I generally do not run with music/headphones and they are just one more thing to deal with. When I do use them, they are bluetooth cordless headphones because I've found that I tend to catch the cord when I'm running.

Personally, I like to get to the race start area about an hour before the race starts. First order of business is the potty line. Might get in line twice just to be certain.

Start your slow warm-up about 30 minutes before the start. I usually do about a 5-10 minute walk to start. Then on to a slow jog with a gradual increase and decrease in speed at about 10 minutes to go. Then after that, its a matter of getting back into position in the start area with a little jogging in place. If you have pacers, get into that pace group or the ones behind them. For example, if your realistic pace is 2:30, I would go out with them, the 2:45 group, or even the 3:00 group to start.

On my most recent race, I went out with the 2:30 group, caught up pretty quickly and passed the 2:15 group in the first mile or so and then ended up tucked in between the 2:00 and 2:15 groups the rest of the way. I could get a sense of where I was relative to those pacing groups because that course had "out and back" legs to it and I could see when those pace groups went by me going in the other direction. I finished in 2:05.

Good luck AND HAVE FUN!
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    All great advise...especially starting slow (make the first couple songs on your playlist slow and soothing--NOT "The Eye of the Tiger"!!...try some classical music that you like or some Barry White).

I highly recommend...f at all possible, go out to the location with the map of the race course a day or two before the race and drive around it so you can become familiar with the layout--parking areas, pottie area, start & finish line. Also drive the 1/2 marathon course (as closely as possible) so you can become familiar with various landmarks and hills and valleys along the run so as not to be surprised by them. It will really help calm your pre-race nerves if you know the lay of the land and can go over strategies in your mind for taking hills and going through more difficult areas or the course. If it's not possible, check out Google Maps to "see" what it all looks like from above and also Google for race reports from others who've completed the race in previous years.

During my first 1/2 marathon I got some bad cramps in my calf muscles at mile #10...I was able to finish the race OK, but I now wear compression calf sleeves on any mileage over 10. During my last 1/2 marathon (my 3rd one) I read that people carry a small packet of salt or mustard to take to relieve muscle cramps. Although I didn't experience cramping in my calves during my 2nd marathon, the night before my 3rd 1/2 I decided to carry a packet of mustard "just in case." It was a HOT day and I was slogging though the race and feeling the fatigue set in.. At mile #10, even though I didn't have calf cramps, I decided to take the package of mustard just before the water station (that I knew was coming up because I "staked out" the course & map ahead of time). I bit it open and squeezed it in my mouth and as I rounded the corner to the water stations I noticed they were out of cups!! They were pouring the water from jugs held high and pouring it into people's mouths as they passed...I was able to get little splash in my mouth and carried on...for the next 3 miles with an awful case of heartburn!! MORAL OF THE STORY: Heed the "nothing new" rule and be careful what kind of "advise" you take at this late stage of the game dealing with any new clothing or nutrition used before or during the race.

Have fun!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO much for this thread. On a whim, after a particularly great 8 mile run I decided to bite the bullet and just sign up for the half that had been taunting me for weeks. I'm running my first 10K on 9/27 and then my first half on 10/19. These replies have been incredibly helpful, and I cannot thank you enough for your advice and commentary.:heart:

On a side note - my first try at a point to point run - a straight line 7 mile run - ended at 6.48 and a call to my husband to come get me when I just couldn't hold it anymore. Had I staked out the run a little better I would have known there was a porta potty at 6.5 miles just down over the hill. :angry:

I found it when I walked down over the hill to the boat launch and into the ocean to clean myself up. Let's just say this -- try to poop first. Then try to poop again. ANd, even if you ahve pooped.... seriously, try again. It was devastating to me, and I did not attempt another run over 6 miles for weeks because I was convinced I would have the same issue. It was the 8 miler referenced above that changed my frame of mind. It was a fluke, and I was not destined to poop on ever run over 6 miles. I was concerned I was going to be destined for 10Ks forever... :tongue:
  • K_Emily_Ann
    K_Emily_Ann Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Had my half marathon today - and it was a blast! Didn't do as great as I wanted to for time (2:38:21), but not as bad as I thought considering it was really cold and raining most of the race.

Took a lot of the advice here and attended the question and answer session that was put on by the marathon committee the night before. It was a lot of fun, and I must say - it has me itching to sign up for another one. Who knows, maybe a full marathon someday!

Thanks again everyone!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    You automatically PR'd, and a 2:38 is nothing to sneeze at. I ran a 2:35 with someone in May, and it's a good chunk of time on your feet no matter how you cut it. Better yet, you had an experience that was memorable enough to make you want to do it again. You have a baseline to work with now - stick with it and reap the rewards (but for now, bask in your post-race glory!)
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your 1st HM! So what tips do you have to pass along to 1st timers based on your experience?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! :drinker:

I'm training for my 3rd half-marathon (in November). Been great to read this thread and get a few tips. Has me more excited for my next one.

Interesting input on the headphones. All the races I've run so far allowed them, but I figure I'll hit a race that doesn't at some point. I train how someone else mentioned...one ear only, leave my second ear free, keep music (and interval feedback) volume low. I have a bluetooth pair so I don't have a cord getting in my way.