Suggestions for Work Snacks?

Options
I was adding my food to the tracker last night and upon clicking save, my sense of accomplishment was quickly shanked by the judgy fitness wizard. My so-called "Pal" smugly pointed out that I did not consume enough carbs, ate too much fat, and fell shockingly short of my calorie goal for the day. WTF? I gotta be honest, those all seem like contradicting statements, Fitness Fuehrer.

First off, I was under the impression that Paleo discouraged carbs, right? Secondly, I'm not at risk of starvation like Mr. Pesky Pop-up Box inferred; I am NOT one of those girls that brags about how little they've had to eat for the day, seeking a pat on their bony brainless heads. I understand that my body needs fuel, but I get super busy at work and eating takes time that I can't seem to find. But when I'm not on Paleo, you can bet your bouncing booty that I have been known to make quick work out of a block of gouda and a bottle of malbec once I get home. I get it. I need to eat little healthy snacks a million times a day in order to lose weight. I understand that. However, I have no idea HOW to do that. Anyone have any advice on a system that works for corporate minions? What do you eat and how do you remind yourself to put it in your mouth? I'm serious. If I'm going to sacrifice personal joy and subject my husband to Richter scale mood swings, you bet your *kitten* I'm going to do this right so my next bod pod doesn't feel like a cow off to slaughter.

HELP ME!!!! I'll buy you a pony.

Replies

• Arobeson
    Options
    Alpaca Snacka:

I'd pay attention to the carb intake and the sugar intake - those should be low if weight-loss is your goal. Don't get hung up on this aps suggestion of what you should be eating - as we discussed it's not really geared for paleo-type diets. I would suggest a couple of books for educational puposes - "It Starts with Food" and "The Paleo Diet Solution". Also, when I first did this the challenge was really a learning curve - this record of your intake can provide a good review at the 30 day mark if you don't feel like you're seeing progress.

As for snacking throughout the day - I eat when I get to work, I eat lunch early, I have an early afternoon snack, and I eat supper. Nothing fancy, no timetable or anything like that.

This challenge I am trying fasting for 12 hours per day - not eating after a certain time at night and before a certain time in the morning. I think MJ did/does this, she may be able to give you more info about that.

No pony needed.
    Aimee
  • MindtheAlpaca
    Options
    Thanks A-Robes, you're a honky gem. Pony's in the mail.
  • Pecantan1
    Pecantan1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    What time in the morning should you eat? Also, I am getting little "baggies" to store my 18 planters with sea salt whole cashews and unsweetened coconut. I want to get raw cacao to go with this mixture if it's alright with paleo. I'm allergic to everything and at least this snack works for me.

It appears after my fruit and veggie smoothie (spinach and kale), I've gone over my sugar....not sure how to adjust because breakfast is a breaker for my sugar intake (frozen pineapple and blueberries w/greek yogurt and a splash of orange juice and coconut water).
  • kaylacalhoun9
    Options
    Last night while watching my friends all drink and eat pizza for a birthday party, I snacked on beef sticks and pistachios. I've also noticed that snacking really helps with being hangry (hungry and angry). I've never experienced being hangry before, and laughed about it until this week, when I was cooking dinner and it all of a sudden hit me.

I portion snacks out as soon as I bring them home from the grocery store. So when I go to pack my bag for the day I can grab my snacks and lunch and keep going. I do two snacks a day also.

After last night, tonight when my friends are getting burritos and margaritas (for people that want to work in the healthcare field, they sure like to have events surrounding food) I'm packing more snacks, water and gum....no chips for me!

Sugars will help with carbs too, the natural sugars in there are proceeded by the body the same as grain carbs. (actually faster, so less is saved for later). When I pick out fruits, I look at sugar content right now, because I'm having a good sugar detox. So for now.

http://thepaleodiet.com/fruits-and-sugars/ this is one of the sources I've used, otherwise there are graphics that include fruit and sugar content I've used in the past
  • Arobeson
    Options
    Hello...I was just reading your post and I saw your statement about sugar. I would suggest eating fats and proteins for breakfast, those last a lot longer and you'll feel full. I usually eat some bacon or sausage, some eggs, maybe an avocado and some veggies. I'm not sure if you're an egg person - I have a love/hate relationship - but I definitely try to start with protein and fat. As far as the smoothies go - they're great to help with sugar cravings and you're eating them early in the day, so you have all day to dispense with those calories. If you're up for suggestions in the smoothie department try this: 1 frozen banana, frozen cherries, frozen pineapple and full-fat coconut milk. It's my favorite!

Good luck!
    Aimee