Ketone Levels Question

Options
toadqueen
toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
I do not test my ketone levels. I am not as much concerned about being in ketosis as I am in reducing inflammation, treating thyroid, leaky gut and other physical issues.

I just got back some lab results which showed that my ketone level was +1 one in my urine. My doctor asked me if I was starving myself, but I have not been. I used to fast a lot in the past to deal with the inflammation but stopped once I learned that my kidneys were failing.

She said ketones are usually a negative number. Should I be concerned about the +1 or does this just mean that I am ketosis? She was not very concerned. We were both just thrilled that my kidneys are functioning better. I told her I would eat more vegetables.

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Are you eating low carb?
    This article talks about urine ketone testing: http://ketopia.com/why-you-need-to-stop-worrying-about-the-color-of-your-ketostix/
    Essentially, after a period of several weeks of being in ketosis, one may only see urine ketones if one is not burning them for fuel... so sometimes one person might see them while another doesn't. It's all very unique to the individual.
    1+ urine ketones equates to something like "trace" ketones on the KetoStix. (see chart here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketonuria)

Urine ketones are more pronounced before one switches over completely to fat burning.

I had been keto-adapted for a while but throughout I could never get my KetoStix to register anything but small/moderate, so I just gave up using them altogether.

All in all, to be expected with someone on a ketogenic diet.
    If this fits your scenario then it seems normal to me.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating low carb/keto then you should have a checkup for diabetes. Diabetic Acidosis is dangerous. Ketosis is not dangerous when you are there because of a ketogenic diet.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that I was not clear in my post. I have been eating low carb for several months. I switched from high protein to high fat a couple of weeks ago when blood tests suggested that I was in acute kidney failure. Just found out last night that my kidney are working fine again and that I must have been dehydrated. However, I love this way of eating even more than high protein so I am sticking with it.

I am a former diabetic but have not been so for four years after weight loss eating keto. Fasting BG was 70 on Monday's test.

Thanks for the responses and the information. It is a great relief and great to have something normal...