Job titles and running ultras

Options
I'm interested in what types of jobs everyone has or has had while training for an ultra? Have you tried and maybe over trained? Or Your circumstances changed and made it difficult? I really wanna do a 50km in 5 months but I'm not sure it's do-able with my situation.

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I am a divorce attorney and run my own solo practice... I have to get up very early to get my runs in and always fighting to find time to get my long runs in. I am new to ultras having done my first (50k) in April. I am currently training for a 50 mile race in October and because of my schedule will probably be more under-trained than over. I'm getting most of my weekly miles, but not so many of my long runs...
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't work, so I'm able to run/train whenever I want to, for the most part. Most of my training takes about 12hrs per week, sometimes a little more when I'm closer to my peak miles.

Most training plans that you can find (including relentless forward progress) have adaptations for your normal weekly mileage. I'm on the low end, and probably someone with a demanding career would be also. I can't image working 40-50 hrs per week and then also finding time for more than 12-15 hours per week of training. You have to eat, sleep, socialize, interact with friends/family, too.

Despite running whenever I want to, I still do my long runs on the weekends so I'm more likely to be able to run with other people. Sometimes for longer runs (like 22+) I can convince people to run half of it or more with me so I don't have to do all those miles alone, and I bribe people frequently with cupcakes. :D

Everyone I run with has a job, they just schedule carefully and don't freak out if they have to miss a run (well, I don't freak out either). Stuff happens, people manage. Try it!
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Project Management in the survey & civil domain. I work 40-50 hours a week.

I do most of my runs/training pre-dawn (I'm usually out for 4am). I can usually get as much as 12 mile runs on weekdays and save my long, 20+ runs for the weekend.

I find it's pretty easy to get 60-70 miles per week on this schedule. I used to ride 200+ miles a week cycling which requires much more time, so training for the ultra has been easier in time constraints.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I am an accountant. Luckily I'm a government accountant & generally work a strict 40 hour week schedule.. No kids.. Life is pretty easy for me. However, it is hard to get the runs in. However, weekend mornings are my prime running time for long runs. During the week, I run at lunch & after work.
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    Options
    I am a school superintendent and a recent empty nester. My wife runs with me several times a week. I run marathons and 50ks. Training is part of life. I don't know how other people spend their lives. When I am not training specifically I do other things like chop wood or cross train. I think jobs that require travelling would be the biggest detractor. Mine works out pretty well.
  • ludgerclay
    ludgerclay Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    In 2011 I ran 43 marathon+ distance runs, including several ultras and a 100 miler. Also during that year I changed careers from a service manager with an industrial company to project admin with a fire pump company, finished renovations and sold my house and my mother-in law's house and moved into an apartment, and had two vacations. I MADE the time, running was (and still is) an important part of my life.
  • tappae
    tappae Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I ran my first ultra last year (trail 40 miler) while spending 7-8 hours every day as a stay-at-home-dad and then 4 nights a week working 8-10 hours as an emergency vet tech. I was only able to train to finish, with my biggest week being around 50 miles. I had to do a lot of miles with my son in his stroller and then did the long runs on the weekend when my wife could stay home with him.

I'm hoping to train for another one starting in about a year. It would be easier if I could switch back to part-time at the vet clinic by that time. My wife just started a new business so hopefully it will be taking off by then!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I have run several marathons and one ultra - a 55km mountain trail run. As an executive director of a medical clinic, we work Mon - Fri 9-5. I usually run after work and long runs on weekends.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Two words: Run commute.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Assistant Manager in a Risk Divison (also work part time in a restaurant on a Friday/Saturday night), not done any ultra's and would have to say it's the not knowing if I can commit to the training that's making me hesitate to enter (there's one at 69 miles that I REALLY want to do).
    I was running 4 time a week, saving my long runs for the Sunday (didn't want to do a 20 mile run and then be on my feet in the restaurant for hours), I must have become a really boring person, the whole eat, sleep, train, repeat was me for 18 weeks, people asked me what I was doing at the weekend, I would reply in miles!!!
    Think if my pace had been quicker or I was training on different terrain (on hilly/slippy forest trails) it would have made a difference as I wouldn't have been out for as long on my long runs, just got to work with what we've got!!

Run commute wouldn't work for me, I'm over 20 miles away from work, running home in the dark (Scotland in winter it gets dark at about 3pm) on the road I would have to use, would have probably resulted in an injury (getting run over), same with the other job, I ain't running 4 miles home at 1am (no dedication I know)!!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Not interested in an Ultra, but as an IT Manager working about 45 hours per week, I was able to run up to 92 miles per week in my last marathon training cycle. Was it tough? Oh yeah. Was I tired? You bet. But, it can be done.

My kids are 16 and 18, so they are self sufficient. Were they still in middle school or younger, there is no way I could have run that mileage.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Well, as of this moment, I am an unemployed IT professional. But, when I was training for marathons and ultras, I was running about 45-55 miles per week. Sometimes I would have to do doubles to fit it in - sometimes before work, during lunch hour, after work - whatever had to be done. I was doing Software Quality Assurance that required weird hours working with my offshore team so I had to work around that. It helped that I was able to work at home sometimes. Plus I was able to do a run commute sometimes since I lived so close - and we had a gym there where I could take a shower.

I also did IT Project Management stuff and worked on an MBA while racking up my highest mileage weeks. On the flipside, I am a single woman with no kids but a very active social life.

Edited to add: there was never any problem over-training, but you can bet I took whatever time I could to sleep and cherish my rest days!

It's hard but do-able.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    For right now, I'm just "someone who did an ultra," but I plan on getting #2 in this year. Anyway, I work for corporate Air Force in an AAD (advanced academic degree) position overseeing repair network integration - a fancy euphemism for "downsizing." I have a self-sufficient kiddo and YOLO (yep I said that) office culture. I'm probably on the more privileged end of the spectrum, but my previous job I did have to get creative to make it work, and it was difficult at times.
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do space planning and interior design and typically work 40-45 hours/week (8am to 5-6pm) with the occasional days of working to 7-8pm. It can be tough.

As hard as it is to get into the habit of it, I've found I'm most consistent with mileage when I run in the mornings - it's a lot easier to get it done - and then if I have to work late one night I don't have to worry about it. As weird as it also sounds, this is generally easier for me in the winter as well - to get into the habit of going to the gym every morning during the week and doing the Treadmill (even though I hate the treadmill).

That being said, I have typically always ran on the lower end of the spectrum for mileage for most marathon & ultra runners - I typically do 35-45 mile weeks with the exception of a couple of 50 mile weeks right before my first Ultra (I've done 2, 50K's, 6 marathons, and am hopefully doing my first 50 Miler at the end of this month - all in this past year).

I will be attempting my first training plan that has me over 50 mile weeks this coming winter as I train for my first attempt at trying to Boston Qualify - so it will be interesting to see how getting 12 milers in on weekdays goes...I'm a little nervous about it!!!

As for Long runs - since I don't have any kids yet, I've never really had an issue getting these in other than the occasional weekend where I have a commitment such as a wedding or family event etc - but that's not that often.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I am retired and am now a housewife. My time is kinda my own. Kinda. One of the things I do is run. It is scheduled into my day. I average close to 50 miles a week, that is when I don't have a silly concussion.

I've only run one 50K so far. Planning on my second this coming March. Throw in a few marathons here and there and I'm content.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home mom, I have four kids under 9, 2 of which are still home full time. I have no interest in doing an ultra but I do want to do an Ironman so that takes the same level of commitment if not more. My husband also is a marathon runner. So basically 7 days a week one of us is up at 4 am to get a run in. We alternate long run days on the weekend. We aren't very social people to begin with, we like to stay at home with our family so there haven't had to be too many sacrifices made. My point is if it's important to you you will find a way to make it work. The only thing that has really changed is we watch a lot less TV now. And that's not a bad thing.:drinker:
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I coach figure skating and am self employed. Work weekdays 530-9am and for about 4h in the afternoon/evening (3-7, 4-8; it depends) as well as all day Sunday. Competitions frequently pull me away for the weekend, but other than that, Saturdays are usually free. I'm extremely fortunate that I can run in the daytime hours, especially during winter. The downside is that I have feel guilty when I take time off (my skaters are very dedicated and I want to show them the same sort of dedication) and have no paid vacation. Typically my races involve working until 7pm Friday night, getting up early to head to the race venue, then going to work first thing Sunday morning. Next weekend I have a 12h ultra; in November I have two 50 milers on consecutive weekends. I anticipate that the 6h on my feet Sunday following the second 50 will prove, uh, interesting...