Help!!!

Options
Hi peeps,

I'm very confused I started keto about 3 weeks back started mfp after that and have Been trying to track. I am 29, 5'9 and I keep going up and down on this diet right now it seems I'm just gaining weight, I try to stick to 1500 daily and usually go over a bit but considering my size I think my calories are reasonable. Please tell me what I doing wrong I'm getting very discouraged!

Best regards,

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    A lot of people have their scale weight loss pause after 2-3 weeks.
    Start measuring your body: Neck, chest, waist, hips, upper arms, wrist, thigh and calf.

Stay the course. A pause doesn't become a stall until several weeks of no scale weight loss and no measurement decreases (many think 'several weeks' means 4-6 weeks).

I don't make changes to my food until I have lost something on the scale (like adding new foods).
    I have had weeks where I lose nothing.
    I have had weeks where I lose 4 or more pounds.

Hang in there!
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    Atkins would have you limit your cheese to 4 oz a day.
    Likewise, some people stall on dairy (like sour cream and heavy whipping cream).
    If you don't have losses after the aforementioned reasonable period of time, you might want to try cycling those foods out to see if it makes a difference.
    Unfortunately, some people might lose one week eating more than 4 oz of cheese but at another period of their weight loss, stall out with that amount of cheese.
    Also, MFP doesn't do a great job of tracking carbs. You might want to keep a good eye on them aside from MFP. I see you have just 19 carbs, but I'm dubious that you haven't had carbs creep in where they aren't getting captured.
    Edit: Your heavy whipping cream says zero carbs... are you sure? A generic heavy whipping cream has like 3 grams of carb per cup, so a tablespoon is just a fraction... but those fractions can add up. Almost all of my carbs were like that. I refer to it as "death by papercut" counting my carbs... and my personal count vs MFP could have been as much as 7 gm carb off.
    Just something to think about.
  • bobby7829
    Options
    Thanks for the reply:) I really haven't had much loss since starting which has me worried because I went from 200 down to around 194 then back up to 197 ish. Most people say there's a big loss of water weight the first week or two then it slows down which I get. But it's the gaining back that has me doubting the diet.
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    There's only a really big loss when you have a lot to lose.
    As you're closer to goal weight, this number is less.
    I think the range is something like 5-10% of your original body weight, but again, I would think since you have less to lose that the number would be smaller. Glycogen is lost and along with it, water. Generally about 3 pounds on average is related to that specifically.

Keep in mind also that as we lose fat from cells, our bodies replace it with water. It is variable as to when our bodies release water, but they hold the place of the fat for a while to achieve stability. Water weighs more than fat, so you're bound to weigh more at some periods than another, especially initially.

Measure your body, seriously. I have noted a trend in myself where I lose meagerly for 3-4 weeks then have a bigger loss. It's all very weird, irregular, inconsistent and not linear at all.
  • bobby7829
    Options
    Okay thanks again for taking the time to get back to me, I will start taking measurements as well as tracking my weight. I guess I'm just being impatient as my 3 weeks effort is all ready starting to feel like a life time since I gave up carbs & sugar!
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    I understand.
    At least you have a course of action now. Just don't change anything too soon or you may wind up chasing your tail trying to figure out what works and what doesn't.
    Again: Hang in there! :)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Looking through your diary, I would recommend you try to be a bit more strict, at least early on, with keto. Consider the carb count a strict goal that you must never go over. After months and months on keto you can slip a bit and get back into ketosis immediately. In the first few weeks though, any day where you go noticeably over may be enough to knock you out of ketosis and cause you to need to take a couple days to get back in.

Tuesday: Nativa Organics - Dark Chocolate, 1/2 Bar - Looks like you had 50g carbs this day, I can't see how much of that is fiber, but 24g sugar from the dark chocolate. I think the people that splurge with dark chocolate here and there do so a square at a time. :)

Sunday: Sugar Free Ice Cream - still says 13g carbs, but, is that a sugar alcohol or fiber or something? I would still cut that out if you're concerned about a stall.

Saturday: Leclerc - Choco Max Chocolate and Caramel Bar, 32 g - Ditto that.

Keto is like any other diet, if you eat few enough calories you should lose weight. But in some ways keto is very unique. If your goal is to get into, and stay in ketosis, because of the benefits that gives you towards insulin resistance and the way your body reacts when its releasing lots of insuln to counteract carbs/sugar, the 20g carbs must be a strict, hard limit. One day of 60 or 70g carbs has a much bigger impact than just the calories.

On your food page, you may want to replace sugar with fiber in terms of what data you track. Total Carbs - Fiber = net carbs, without knowing the fiber counts in things its harder to be accurate, since "net carbs" is what you really care about tracking on keto.

Try to stick it out without the sugary treats/cheats and you will get headed in the right direction soon :)

If you haven't read it: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq -- one of the best resources out there for someone new.
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for about the same amount of time as you. I've done a lot of research, and thought I would drop a big amount at first from water weight too, but each person is different, and like the other said it depends on how much you have to lose. I've started dropping inches, over lbs. I can tell a difference in my clothes, and my energy. Don't give up. I don't county calories. Only carbs. I try not to go over 25 Net Carbs a day. Also have to watch your protein intake.

This website has some good info:

http://www.jaxlabyrinth.com/eating-low-carb-but-not-seeing-results/
  • twineclipse
    twineclipse Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    After reading your post, I conclude that there are hidden carbs that you haven't accounted for. It's hard to escape from sugar because it's pretty abundant. However, as long as you stay true to vegetables, high fat proteins, and some coffee here and there, I'm positive you will see results.

You can get extremely full from high fiber veggies like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and the like. I like baking them with cheese to increase the flavor and satiety. I also like sauteing them with ghee, but coconut oil works wonders as well.

If you want to eat more carbs, why not have a nice walk afterwards? Make a playlist of your favorite songs and powerwalk those carbs away. As long as you stay under 50g carbs(average), your weight won't increase.
  • PatchEFog
    Options
    As long as you stay under 50g carbs(average), your weight won't increase.
    Unfortunately, this generalization is not true for everyone.
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Looking through your diary, I would recommend you try to be a bit more strict, at least early on, with keto. Consider the carb count a strict goal that you must never go over. After months and months on keto you can slip a bit and get back into ketosis immediately. In the first few weeks though, any day where you go noticeably over may be enough to knock you out of ketosis and cause you to need to take a couple days to get back in.

Tuesday: Nativa Organics - Dark Chocolate, 1/2 Bar - Looks like you had 50g carbs this day, I can't see how much of that is fiber, but 24g sugar from the dark chocolate. I think the people that splurge with dark chocolate here and there do so a square at a time. :)

Sunday: Sugar Free Ice Cream - still says 13g carbs, but, is that a sugar alcohol or fiber or something? I would still cut that out if you're concerned about a stall.

Saturday: Leclerc - Choco Max Chocolate and Caramel Bar, 32 g - Ditto that.

Keto is like any other diet, if you eat few enough calories you should lose weight. But in some ways keto is very unique. If your goal is to get into, and stay in ketosis, because of the benefits that gives you towards insulin resistance and the way your body reacts when its releasing lots of insuln to counteract carbs/sugar, the 20g carbs must be a strict, hard limit. One day of 60 or 70g carbs has a much bigger impact than just the calories.

On your food page, you may want to replace sugar with fiber in terms of what data you track. Total Carbs - Fiber = net carbs, without knowing the fiber counts in things its harder to be accurate, since "net carbs" is what you really care about tracking on keto.

Try to stick it out without the sugary treats/cheats and you will get headed in the right direction soon :)

If you haven't read it: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq -- one of the best resources out there for someone new.

I echo all the advice everyone has given you here, especially this from Raddii... Last Friday I decided to go over my carbs from 20 to 60 and I am just not getting back into ketosis. Some people have a higher threshold of how many carbs they can eat and still lose weight... I'm not one of them. I use to have my one square a day of 85% dark chocolate and lost weight fine, however sometimes it is hard to stick to the one little square. Same with peanut butter, I will over due it so I know now that it is a food that I have to be careful with.

Also when I exercise my weight stalls however I lose inches and my clothes are looser (I try not to weigh myself often). Doesn't matter what the scale says as long as you are looking hotter than ever! :flowerforyou: