Public's General Lack of Knowledge of Keto Diets?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
First, I have been talking to friends, family and co-workers that last couple of weeks about the Ketogenic diet.

Secondly, I have been bouncing around on the internet for the last two weeks and am AMAZED about how much info is out there on this diet.

What gets me is how IGNORANT I was. I am an engineering type and love technical things. No matter what I get into, I read everything I can get my hands on about a subject, hobby, engineering thing, etc. I can't believe I didn't find this faster. I had heard about Bariatrics and know/knew 4 people that had the procedure (and that's the path I recently chose before I started this Keto diet).

YES, I heard of the Atkins diet. I think I even watch a 60 Minutes show on it, but for some reason unknown to me, I didn't follow up on it. I guess I didn't "get it" ~ the scientific principles of the Atkins diet. I do know one person that tried Atkins diet. Yes, we all hear about people that "say" they were on an Atkins diet, but when you query them as to their "macros", they look at you funny and can't answer you. I am struggling a little keeping the carbs down, and I am trying real hard. So I think some of the people that "say" they are on the Atkins diet, probably aren't getting "keto-adapted", especially if they aren't tracking very carefully what they eat.

My question to you, when you talk to your friends, family & co-workers, have they heard about, or tried (successfully) this diet?

Dan the Man from Michigan

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    First, Atkins didn't talk about macros. He talked about counting carbs and that calories can matter.
    The goal of Atkins Induction is to get into ketosis to control appetite/hunger, lose water weight and give a mental boost that the way of eating can work. Atkins then suggested OWL as the next steps and extended induction if you were still metabolically compromised after a trial of OWL. Therefor, the goal of Atkins isn't really to remain in any sort of high level of ketosis since you're supposed to be advancing in the diet by adding in more carbs via the OWL as weight loss tolerates.

Nutritional ketosis as covered by Phinney and Volek puts some macro numbers to this ketogenic diet business of Atkins. They then futher state that optimal ketosis for fat burning occurs between a certain range of beta-hydroxybutyrate in blood (blood 'ketone'). This range is 1.5 mmol/l to 3.0 mmol/l. People who follow macros are more following nutritional ketosis guidelines since Atkins had none.
    If a person has a calorie goal and is doing Atkins, they would really be eating whatever they want that is on the plan but only eating when they're hungry, then logging their food. If those macros happen to fall into the range of optimal ketosis, so be it, but there are no guidelines for ketosis or macros in Atkins. The goal of Atkins was never to be keto-adapted as it is for nutritional ketosis.

My DH consults and only a handful of people understand this way of eating.
    His sister and her husband were Atkins followers, so they get it, but find it too restrictive for them.
    So there's a blend, but most people are oblivious to the fact that there is a different pathway for energy (aside from burning glucose) in our bodies or how to eat in order to tap it. Since it isn't taught and isn't the national guideline, the ignorant among us label it as "bad" and "wrong" instead of understanding it is merely different. Most would rather vilify than learn. Change is hard.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've talked about it with my immediate family, that is the ones in my house. Not any others. Not a lot of sciency folks in my extended family, its just not worth it. Similarly, some of my tech oriented friends i'll talk about it with, but only after they asked me about my weight loss since I'm down 50 pounds. A couple even in the face of huge weight loss and drastically improved medical tests have a really negative reaction. I don't really care, I'm not trying to influence anyone, so I just don't bring it up again. Others are interested or at least curious, one friend of mine is now also doing keto and has lost a good bit and we talk every few days to help each other stay on track.

In some circles some folks get very cult-like about keto and very upset at anyone who doesn't "see the light" or whatever. I try to stay far away from that. I don't have anyone who is very close to me (ie in my own house where there could be consistent conflict or push-back), so I'm good.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    @ PatchEFog,

Thanks for the history of Atkins. I haven't read the book. I assumed they explained it. I can see why people fail on it. With tracking your macros, it is pretty strict and technical. A slightly overweight person probably wouldn't go to all the trouble to lose 10-30 lbs. But people like me, where I have to do something or I will be dead sooner than I would want to be. Morbidly Obese means what is says. When my doc pointed out to me that you don't see heavy people lie me grow really old, that scared me. I just couldn't find a way to lose the weight and keep it off. I think I have found it, and have a long way to go.

My post was really to see if people on this list also have run into people that have never heard of this diet.

Oh, what is a, "DH"? (I did find OWL on Wiki, Ongoing Weight Loss). DH means, "Designated Hitter" to me.... : )

Thank you,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Not many people in my circles have heard of keto. I do not bring up keto unless they ask me specifically how I am losing weight. A couple of co workers asked and I gave them some resources, they followed it and got great results. Others ask me about it and quickly say "i can't live without bread, pasta or rice"--so I leave it alone never push my way of eating.

My doctor asked me about my diet, he had not heard about keto just familiar with atkins. I told him about my fat consumption -- especially about all the bacon, pork chops and chicken wings I was eating-- he was so amazed not just by the weight loss but by my blood results that he started to google keto while I was in the office. He told me to keto on.

Many people are not ready to accept that saturated fats are actually good for you and carbs are causing more harm than good.

Success speaks for itself -- do not feel that you have to tell them your new discovery, because more than likely they will tell you something negative about your new way of eating.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    @ Radii,

I get what you're saying about the cult like mentality and agree with you. Even though I am new to the diet, I think I could explain it on one page of paper. I hope I lose the weight, cause I know a lot of fat people, including my immediate family. My two brothers and sister are both like me, more or less. They have tried all kinds of diets like I did and failed at all of them. My brother got one of the first Bariatric procedures in the 80's ~ stomach stapling. It failed. He is 300 lbs or so now.

I am convinced that most people, that are fat like me, think that all diets don't work or at best are not sustainable. I think technology is making a diet like this easier to do. As a matter of fact, I doubt that I would do this diet IF I didn't have my I-Phone and MyFitnessPal app. It would be so much trouble to track the macros.

Anyway, when I go anywhere now, and see a big person like me, I want to tell them that there is hope and a diet that can help them. But until I lose the weight, I will mind my own business.

Dan the Man from Michigan (who used to be a Texan)
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My post was really to see if people on this list also have run into people that have never heard of this diet.
    My intent was to give you background should you encounter others of the various low carb genre so you understand the nuances of the plans. It helps to understand where everyone is coming from when we speak of 'low carb'. Low carb means a lot of things to a lot of different people.
    As for not pushing my way of eating, I'm with the others. They're quite right. If someone asks, I try to gauge their interest and talk to them about it accordingly, but then again, I've worked in the medical field and information technology, so I've seen the "glazed over dear in the headlights look" before and know when to stop before saturation (most of the time).
    Oh, what is a, "DH"?
    A frequently used internet acronym for dear husband. :)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I don't discuss it with anybody who isn't doing keto outside of MFP.

I think it's something best found by attraction rather then promotion.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    In the past I tried to explain to friends and family what a ketogenic diet is, most people don't understand. They just jump to conclusions and end up telling me how unhealthy it is and how my cholesterol will go thru the roof. Most people are ignorant and will not take time to research things, they will just blurt out stupid *kitten* they hear on TV or what they hear from their aunt uncle, brother, sister, you name it. My circle of keto friend on MFP is the only source of communication and support that I have when it come to keto. Thanks to you all, I am achieving my goals.

BTW, if any of you that are not my friends on MFP now, and what to share ideas and support, you are welcome to send a FR.
  • mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I also don't tell anybody unless they ask how I'm losing weight. So, far nobody has asked what in the world I'm eating and I generally tell people that I "don't eat breads". And they leave it at that. I only talk about it here on MFP or on ruledme.com forums. People simply don't know what it is and I don't bother to inform them unless they ask.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I don't discuss diets or preach whats good for others. However, after the success I had, I do get asked a lot about my diet. I point them to Dr Attia and the Art and Science of Low carb living by Dr Volek. There are couple of my friends who lost ton of weight after going low carb. There are few who didn't really do well on low carb. The reality is that science currently is incomplete at best, may be one day people will have a good answer to the diet and health.
  • ajax041813
    ajax041813 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love hearing my co-workers say "You can eat that!?!" when I pull out pork rinds, pepperoni or pudding (made with avocado) on my "diet." I just say "yes, I can." Not sure what they are thinking as they leave it alone. I have lost about 15lbs in 2 months so the weight loss is visible to me, maybe not everyone else. I do know that there is a lot of "well, I can't live without ....." fill in the blank. I was that way as well. This journey has taken me over a year to make small changes and eventually find the ketogenic way of eating. I was finally able to explain to one co worker how bulletproof coffee works. She kept saying it sounded like she would get heartburn. I don't have issues with that so I didn't get it. She worked at Starbucks for awhile so once she realized I blended the butter with the coffee and that makes it foamy yumminess, she connected it was the fat that did that. It's the fat from milk that does that too so it made more sense to her. I just share what they are interested in and leave it alone. Even my fiancée has been eating 1-2 yoyo cookie sandwiches from publix a day for several weeks and I say nothing. It's his choice, we all have a different journey with food. I am more motivated this time around since I have already lost weight, my energy is up, and I want to achieve my goals and be able to tell people I got there by eating bacon, pork rinds, pepperoni and pudding!!! No bland, monotonous foods up in here!!!! LOL!!! What's even more amazing is the amount of drs who don't have a clue about this!!!!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I don't discuss it with anybody who isn't doing keto outside of MFP.

I think it's something best found by attraction rather then promotion.
    Same here. Because I'm a gym-regular most people assume that I maintain my weight by doing tons of cardio. Not even true. I eat low carb and lift weights. I do some cardio just for the health benefits.
    But there's so much misconception out there and that, coupled with the fact that if people DO ask what I do or eat, etc. all they really want to hear is that there is some magic pill or secret that they don't know about yet. I don't talk about myself at all, really. (except for here)
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    No one I have spoken to knows anything about it or has ever heard of it. I am like you, when something catches my interest I am there communing with google reading up everything I can find and watching youtube videos too.

I think the lack of general knowledge about it is down to most people not wanting to contemplate letting go of sugar and so many processed foods. I love it though as do many others fortunate enough to discover it. On the main forums people seem to often get torn to bits and treated like nutters for suggesting Keto, paleo , low carb, low sugar, avoiding processed foods. There is a lot of hostility and fear towards those concepts from most people. Shows how powerful Junk foods hold is on people I think.

I am going to have a bar of chocolate, pie and chips etc at times but I definitely now view those things much more as a rarity rather than something i need in my day to day life.

The rest of the world will catch up eventually I am sure, it is just going to be a slow change of tide.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    <snip>

I think the lack of general knowledge about it is down to most people not wanting to contemplate letting go of sugar and so many processed foods. I love it though as do many others fortunate enough to discover it. On the main forums people seem to often get torn to bits and treated like nutters for suggesting Keto, paleo , low carb, low sugar, avoiding processed foods. There is a lot of hostility and fear towards those concepts from most people. Shows how powerful Junk foods hold is on people I think.
    <snip>

I think you hit the nail right on the head there! Its the addiction to carbs. They are in denial. They don't want to give it up...

Dan the Man
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    i have been paleo for a long time, so everyone i know kind of already knows i don't eat bread, etc. so i haven't had to bring it up. yesterday i had breakfast with my parents for the first time since starting keto and i had eggs, bacon, sausage. no one said anything, and i passed on the biscuits (which i used to do anyway) this was at a restaurant.

anyway, i doubt anyone i know has heard of it because i hadn't. my DH got the diet from his co-worker.