How often do you walk?

Options
How often are you able to walk? I try to walk every day. I walk my son to school and back, then walk the dog later in the day. That adds up to about an hour a day, I think. My kids don't love walking nearly as much as I do so I usually have to do a few, short walks with them throughout the day instead of one long walk.

Replies

• Janie11141980
    Options
    I am walking 2 miles 6 days, for right now
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group!

I walk in short stints through my workday. 8-10min per each break, lunchtime I climb the stairs until I get to the equivalent of 12 stories (this building is only 3 stories) and walk around the little trail around the buildings for another 6min.

Then every other day I decide to walk 30-45min before or after work with my 2yr old in his stroller. Having a puppy certainly helps me to get outside too!
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,278 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I go to the gym three times a week. I try to walk the other three or four for an hour. If I can't get outside to walk then I do my steps inside. I am a Fitbit user and love it. It goes everywhere with me except to sleep. I'm a lousy sleeper, so I don't need my Fitbit to tell me that. :huh: My daughter has a cattle dog/lab named Bean who loves to walk with us. We take him over to the grade school and let him run in the big grassy field. He's so much fun! :love:

Chris
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Howdy!

I'm a walker! I try to walk 5 times a day. I do a personal step challenge every month to keep me motivated. This month is 380,000 steps which is 14,615 steps a day, 6 days a week. I have a Fitbit Zip that helps me do my step challenges.
    I walk my kids to school, walk on the treadmill for 60 minutes, another 30 on the treadmill, walk to get my kids from school and lastly walking with DH after dinner. Or, if DH is not feeling well I do another 30 minute walk on the treadmill.

I also do a Toning workout from Tone It Up.com which has a weeks full of workouts Monday - Sunday. I only workout M-Sat. Sunday is my rest day.

ETA - Oops, I forgot to put how many steps I average in a day. I hit between 16-20k. On the days where I'm too tired I hit my minimum number of 14.6k.
  • moparjer
    moparjer Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot at work (5 mile average) and try to walk 1 mile on my lunch hour. On my days off I try to walk around 3 miles on our city's trails with my hubby.
  • Jmetz09
    Jmetz09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've just started my fitness journey and so far I walk a average of 6 days a week and do about
    3 miles a day with my son which usually equals about a hour to do :) I love it. And really hope it helps me in getting my fitness goals.
  • nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Daily, I do an absolute minimum of five miles but it's normally something between eight and ten miles.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I walk daily. I am a fit bit user (anyone feel free to add me, my user ID is 24WS2G).

I go for walks M-F after work for 45-50 minutes. On Saturday and Sunday I walk for a couple of hours.
  • Phanntom
    Phanntom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to walk between 3.5 and 4.5 miles a day, 7 days a week. At present that amounts to about an hour and twenty minutes a day. This of course is in addition to whatever else I walk just getting through the day.
  • catladyksa
    catladyksa Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I try to walk at a minimum of 10,000 steps a day. As a beginner, this is 'good' for me!! I am trying to build up to more....but working full time and we have a HUGE project that we are working on for work...which means I take the work home after work and weekends, until end of October, I am not walking as much as I want to which I would love to get over 16,000 steps per day in...just takes time I don't really have right now....but I am going to build up to it!!! I am determined to get more steps in daily!!! I have a Fitbit Flex and love it!
  • Wow! I am really impressed by how much everyone is able to walk. That's fantastic. It sounds like I need to get a Fitbit, though.
  • smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I walk about 5 miles 5 days a week, I walk to work and back, my job also involves a lot of walking, i'll wear a step moniter tomorrow and figure out how many steps I do.
  • I walk 4-5 days a week, 3 miles at a time. I always intend to walk every day, but something usually comes up with work or life. I do better if I walk first thing in the morning. If I say I'll wait until evening, chances are I won't go.
  • smirf1972
    Options
    Used a pedometer today and logged 14831 steps, it was pretty much a usual day, think I may have figured out why i'm not losing weight though, I read somewhere that you should only be eating half the calories you burn in exercise, not all of them :embarassed:
  • Jmetz09
    Options
    Used a pedometer today and logged 14831 steps, it was pretty much a usual day, think I may have figured out why i'm not losing weight though, I read somewhere that you should only be eating half the calories you burn in exercise, not all of them :embarassed:
    [/quot

Really so how would that work exactly? Meaning you have to literately work out 1,200 calories a day if you eat that much ????
  • forgivensins
    forgivensins Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Started barely dragging myself half a mile earlier in the year, now I make between 4-6 miles a day depending on how motivated I feel in the evening. Hoping to bump this up in the coming months.
  • comback67
    comback67 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I walk on my cardio days (in between lifting days), which is Tues, Thurs, and Sat. If I don't walk on one of those days, I will get on the elliptical machine for an hour. When I walk, I will normally walk for 3 miles. I really need to get a pedometer as soon as possible because I should be taking into account my daily steps since I walk a lot on a daily basis.
  • smirf1972
    Options
    [/quot

Really so how would that work exactly? Meaning you have to literately work out 1,200 calories a day if you eat that much ????

Jmetz09

This is on top of your calorie goal, so if your calorie goal is 1200 and you go for a run that burns 600 calories then you'd eat 1500 calories, where as MFP just adds the 600 to your 1200 and states that you have 1800 left
  • Jmetz09
    Options
    Oh gotcha! Losing weight is so hard! Lol
  • smirf1972
    Options
    Oh gotcha! Losing weight is so hard! Lol

it certainly is! :)
    :bigsmile: