How hard do you push yourself?

Options
Jmetz09
Jmetz09 Posts: 33 Member
Hey everyone,
So I just started my walking to fitness 2 weeks ago. So far I walk a average of 2 miles maybe a little more.
How hard do you all push yourself ? I know the first week I could barely walk a mile now I am up to two miles ????????
What keeps you going?

Replies

• nentecular
    nentecular Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For me it's still the thought that the more I walk, the more yummy food I can eat.
  • Jmetz09
    Options
    ???? very true! How many miles do you walk a day? On average ?
  • Congrats on your progress, Jmetz09! I don't track mileage, I just set a goal to walk at least 30 minutes a day, if not 60 minutes. When I walk, I try to walk fast enough that I am breathing heavy and would be unable to carry a conversation (If I can hold a conversation with someone, I'm not walking fast enough).
  • Jmetz09
    Options
    Congrats on your progress, Jmetz09! I don't track mileage, I just set a goal to walk at least 30 minutes a day, if not 60 minutes. When I walk, I try to walk fast enough that I am breathing heavy and would be unable to carry a conversation (If I can hold a conversation with someone, I'm not walking fast enough).

Thanks so much???? I try to get in 2 miles at least so it averages out to about a hour a day. :) for me right now that is just enough.
  • nentecular
    Options
    I aim for an absolute minimum of five miles but it's normally significantly more than that, anything from eight to ten miles most days.

In fact, I can do an average quite easily from the figures on the FitBit site.

3,337.48 miles over 422 days. That's an average of 7.9 miles per day!
  • Jmetz09
    Options
    I aim for an absolute minimum of five miles but it's normally significantly more than that, anything from eight to ten miles most days.

In fact, I can do an average quite easily from the figures on the FitBit site.

3,337.48 miles over 422 days. That's an average of 7.9 miles per day!

I am working my way up there :D the day I hit three miles I will probably cry , when I hit two miles I was really
    Proud of myself and I have done even 2 1/2 but being inactive for so long as far as excerises goes the small goals help me so much.
  • nentecular
    Options
    It won't take you long to build up. I remember the first time I hit four miles in one session, my back really hurt the next morning and I could barely move. I think it took me a couple of months to work up to being able to regularly walk five miles a day but now I can do that without even thinking about it.

Take it easy and just build up gradually. You'll be surprised how quickly it happens.
  • nentecular I would love to hear more about how you built up your mileage. Did you just try to walk a bit further each day? Congrats on your success!
  • nentecular
    Options
    nentecular I would love to hear more about how you built up your mileage. Did you just try to walk a bit further each day? Congrats on your success!

Yes, pretty much just that. I started off (for example) walking into town and back at lunchtime. Then I extended it to walking into town, strolling one way up the high street and back, then going a bit further each day.

It doesn't take long to increase, it's just building stamina and strength all the time.
  • smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    For me it's still the thought that the more I walk, the more yummy food I can eat.

I couldn't agree more :drinker:
  • smirf1972
    Options
    I walk 3 miles to work and about 1 1/2 back(I get a lift down the hill on the way home most days), because my job is very active i'm pretty knackered by the end of the day :yawn: I also have a hip problem so I try to keep as active as possible without putting too much pressure on it, so i have taken up swimming.

Well done to you guys on building up your walking, small goals work best for me too. I'm building up my swimming lengths gradually.
  • Jmetz09
    Options
    I walk 3 miles to work and about 1 1/2 back(I get a lift down the hill on the way home most days), because my job is very active i'm pretty knackered by the end of the day :yawn: I also have a hip problem so I try to keep as active as possible without putting too much pressure on it, so i have taken up swimming.

Well done to you guys on building up your walking, small goals work best for me too. I'm building up my swimming lengths gradually.

Its totally crazy how fast your body builds up stamina to do more. I was able to jog half my mile today which is something I haven't
    Been able to do in year! There is no way on day 1 I could have ran. And today I did???? felt awesome.
  • Congrats Jmetz09! Love to hear your progress! :smile:
  • smirf1972
    Options
    Well Done Jmetz09, hitting targets gives such a thrill doesn't it :bigsmile:
  • Jmetz09
    Options
    YES! It is totally crazy....I just felt the need to run like my body could actually do it and for the most part it did....it did Burnnnn lol but I pushed through it???????? blood sweet and tears going into the new me.
  • Woo hoo, Jmetz09! Congrats on your accomplishment!