On my way to Keto........

Options
Morning All, (UK local time )

I have been following this thread for some time now with some partial interest (you know, the one foot in one out kind of way) and I have decided that Keto is the way I would like to go. After having done lots of research , I feel that this could actually work for me with the right support.

My basic story is that I have in the past 2 years been in and out of Dukan where I successfully lost weight kept it off until I just got too tired of low fat....that's where the 'extended cheat' days would come in. I loved the low carb aspect however struggled with the low fat side of things and always felt like I needed to snack despite eating my way through my low carb fridge. Not to mention the fact that I would OD on low fat yogurt daily which would of course increase carb macros. I am now at my heaviest since Dukan as I am back on refund sugars and grain carbs and my lifestyle has just got to change.

Some of my favourite foods are usually indulgent in nature for eg. butters, oils, avocados, cream and anything real which we are usually told to avoid in life......so this just makes sense ! I can put some of my recent failures and weight loss down to diet, change of lifestyle, living with a super fit partner who eats anything and still maintains 10% body fat but for how long ?? I need to take ownership and decide what it is I want inside and out. Simply speaking, I want wellness, energy and a balanced weight which will allow me to do anything that I desire within my physical possibilities.

Anyway, enough rambling as I just wanted to introduce myself and reach out for some new friends to help support me along my journey. I am 36 yrs old and yet to have children so I hope Keto takes me to a healthy place ready for motherhood. I do like to exercise and I travel for work on a monthly basis. I plan to start in 2 weeks and the reason being is that I will be travelling until this time however, I will be progressively lowering my carb intake and upping my fats until my actual start date.

A few quick questions :

- anybody following Stephanie Person's approach to Keto...she looks fabulous and always full of energy?
- did many of you cut out caffine at all? I have read conflicting opinions on its effect during early ketosis phases
- any recommendations for 'helpful' products to purchase either UK or USA (think I might be stateside next week)
- how long on average did it take you to show ketosis during tests ?

(Things I have ordered already ):
- coconut flour (for later stages of diet used by Stephanie Person)
- coconut oil
- Himalayan salt
* everything else will just be fresh fridge protein and fat products

Looking forward to hearing from you all :)

Replies

• MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Hi! I like Stephanie's "Pep Talk" videos, but her approach is entirely unscientific. Himalayan salt looks cool, but the cold hard chemical reality is that there's not much trace minerals in it except for salt, which is simply sodium and chloride. You get your trace minerals from stuff like bone broth, vegetables, liver, nuts.

Also, her caffeine phobia is ridiculous. Caffeine helps with fat burning, and as long as you don't overdo it, there's nothing wrong with it.

Generally, beware of all kinds of bogus information around low-carb and keto. Use the keto calculator (google) to determine your macros, and then implement them using natural, whole foods, make sure that you're eating enough salt, minimise sweeteners - and your good to go!
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mike, your advice is spot on and my gut feeling on a few of Stephanie's 'no go' items were a little dubious. I have already used the calculator and altered my settings for my month end launch date haha . It's funny how that now the numbers are fixed, my carb/sugar excesses are completely highlighted !

I love coffee by the way, not a super addict but enough that I like to enjoy a cup from my beautiful Nespresso machine daily.....with cream.....even better :)

These were my results however I have set MFP to 5/35/65% respectively based on the same calories. I am 176cm tall with a CW of 192 lbs (GW 168 lbs)

1344 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    25 g Carbohydrates (7%, 100 kcal)
    100 g Protein (30%, 400 kcal)
    94 g Fat (63%, 844 kcal)
  • MikeEnRegalia
    Options
    Lol - that's very close to my ratios:

1461 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    50 g Carbohydrates (14%, 200 kcal)
    125 g Protein (34%, 500 kcal)
    85 g Fat (52%, 761 kcal)

Perfect for weight loss - but according to the calculator I will need to increase my calories in about a month. :-)
  • LatinaGordita
    LatinaGordita Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    - anybody following Stephanie Person's approach to Keto...she looks fabulous and always full of energy?
    Do not know of her. I have read books and their is a ton online from Volek and Phinney, Peter Attia, Dana Carpenter, Jimmy Moore, William Davis. I would also reccomend http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/ Read the Keto in a nutshell document it would really get you started.

- did many of you cut out caffine at all? I have read conflicting opinions on its effect during early ketosis phases -I actually developed a love for coffee doing keto. Look up Bullet Proof Coffee (BPC). I add heavy cream, coconut oil/mct oil and torani syrup. Others add kerry gold butter to there BPC.

- any recommendations for 'helpful' products to purchase either UK or USA (think I might be stateside next week) Bacon, hamburger meat (the higher fat content), eggs, avocados, cream cheese, heavy whipping cream, etc.

- how long on average did it take you to show ketosis during tests ? urine test or blood test? Urine test are not very accurate, however I did use them and it took me about 6 days. Blood test are more accurate but the strips are very expensive. If you are going to ease into low carb you may not show ketones in your urine if you have not lowered your carbs enough.

Good luck!
  • MikeEnRegalia
    Options
    "bulletproof" coffee ... IMO Asprey is a leech in the keto movement, looking to make a buck while adding nothing of substance. For what it's worth, I like the taste of coffee with butter blended in, but especially if you're looking to lose body fat, hands off. In maintenance, I don't think it hurts, but personally I prefer to eat my calories.
  • globegirl08
    Options
    "bulletproof" coffee ... IMO Asprey is a leech in the keto movement, looking to make a buck while adding nothing of substance. For what it's worth, I like the taste of coffee with butter blended in, but especially if you're looking to lose body fat, hands off. In maintenance, I don't think it hurts, but personally I prefer to eat my calories.

Lol Mike @ Asprey analysis

Just clarify what you mean about BPC and it potentially hindering weight loss in early stages .....is that because of 'empty ' calories ? Or rather high fat content ? As I thought I was aiming for as much fat as possible ? Sorry for the Q , just want to make sure I understand everybody's input

Thank you Latina for the advice :)
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Welcome globegirl08,

I remember you from the Dukan forum. I have found this way of eating so much easier for my preferences. I wish you well with it too.

I think your macros are excellent.

I do not test for ketosis, but I am sure that I am in it. I find the urine tests unreliable because they get diluted if you drink a lot of water. I do not drink coffee, cannot have chocolate :( so I am not the best to speak about caffeine except to comment that it is a diurectic.

I would add ghee, pork belly, and poultry skin to the food list. You can make th ghee from butter (much cheaper) and might be able to get purchase the poultry skin from your local butcher. I render the fat from it and then crisp up the skins - so yummy. I like them better than pork rinds.

Best wishes,

TQ
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
    Just to answer some of your questions I definitely did NOT cut caffeine out. I have cut down, but I still drink diet sodas and coffee (Bulletproof coffee!). It may affect people differently, but I have had no issues.

I see you bought coconut oil, this has been a big help to me to reach a better fat ratio. I sometimes am a little higher on protein than I'd like to be, and coconut oil in my coffee or using in to cook has been a good way for me to reach my goals. I would also look up some recipes for fat bombs and find one that you like. This can also help meet your goals for the day and have a little treat. I like sugar free jello made with cream cheese topped with whipped heavy cream. I make it in a muffin tin into individual servings.

I sometimes test, sometimes don't. If I want to get into keto fast, I use some of the foods you eat if you would go on a "fat fast" (which you have to be careful with). For example, add cream cheese or sour cream to a meal and skip the chicken/protein or make sure the meat I eat is 73% ground beef (which is cheaper and would have more fat than 80 or 85!)

As far as what Mike said, I don't really understand what he means. I know some people just have BPC for breakfast. I know plenty of people that drink it and are losing weight. If you do prefer to eat your calories, then I can understand. I don't add butter to my BPC, I just have coffee with a tablespoon or so of coconut oil. Like a pp, you can add heavy cream and/or butter. I personally don't care for the butter in it.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    As I thought I was aiming for as much fat as possible ?

The general aim with keto is to stay under your carb goal, to meet your protein goal (exactly in an ideal world, in the real world being reasonably close to it is just fine), and to eat as much fat as you need to be satisfied. So its not exactly "eat as much fat as possible" :) but it is a very high amount of fat compared to other ways of eating.

I don't drink coffee or much caffeine at all (the occasional green tea), but not because of keto, I just don't like coffee. Tons of people love their BPC and are losing weight with it as a regular part of their daily routine. That its become a bit of a fad outside of LCHF diets is odd to me and I'm not at all convinced its some awesome thing that everyone would benefit from or anything like that, but if the stuff you put in it helps you hit your macros on keto then its just fine, and as long as you're not getting caffeine too late in the day for it to impact your sleep, then that's just fine too.

Your original post asked about helpful products. There are tons of different ways different people hit their macros on keto, I prefer to just make simple things with meat and dairy and eat some green vegetables. I'll occasionally experiment with some kind of keto desert or almond flour creation but I think a lot of people get hung up on recreating stuff they "can't eat anymore" to their detriment, instead of enjoying all the things you can have on keto, like that bulletproof coffee. So for food I don't do anything special at all. I do take Magnesium Citrate daily to make sure I'm getting enough magnesium, and I use "Lite Salt" instead of regular salt because it has potassium in it, and the foods I like to eat on keto don't have tons of potassium.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    Options
    Lol Mike @ Asprey analysis

Just clarify what you mean about BPC and it potentially hindering weight loss in early stages .....is that because of 'empty ' calories ? Or rather high fat content ? As I thought I was aiming for as much fat as possible ? Sorry for the Q , just want to make sure I understand everybody's input

It's bad because of the calories, which come from the fat. I know there are many people here which take "eat fat to lose fat" literally to mean that the more fat you eat, the more body fat you lose. That's not how it works. You can use the keto calculator, and it will tell you that for body fat loss you keep carbs low, protein constant, and then create a caloric deficit by reducing the fat intake.

In short: To lose body fat, get most of your calories from fat, but make sure you create a caloric deficit. You can do it with BPC, but weigh the butter and coconut oil you use. For a mug of coffee, I find that I only need 15g of butter and a tablespoon of MCT oil. That's fine for body fat loss and totally in line with the "eat fat to lose fat" advice as it is meant to be understood. :-)
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Stephanie and for all I know she is awesome .

However my rule of thumb is to avoid anybody trying to sell me something.

Keto is pretty simple if you stick with whole foods and avoid any packaged or processed food, especially if it is advertised as low carb. To me that just means they have found a way to cheat the labeling requirements through clever engineering.
  • globegirl08
    Options
    Fantastic advice everyone and Mike thank you for clarifying.

Although I haven't started yet, I am checking the forums daily and slowly moving mating towards lchf menu choices. Yes I agree about the fad recipes that get the attention on low carb diets, I much prefer real food where possible and one of the reasons I switched from Dukan.

As for offee, I think I will stick to my daily cup and just switch the soya lattes to my nespresso with cream perhaps (as long as it fits macros ) . I don't want to get too hung up but I want to tune it all around me instead.

You are really an inspirational bunch ........thank you
  • globegirl08
    Options
    So it starts today everybody......back home and ready to keto transform. Oh the last 2 weeks have been so enlightening and the support and advice has been tremendous....what a cool crew you all are :)

Over my recent times of travelling, I have discovered that restaurants and supermarkets are so much more keto friendly stateside....keto heaven! I mean Houlihans restaurant (in NJ, USA) served the most amazing dish with a side of mashed cauliflower loaded with cheese. In Montreal, I ordered my keto style breakfast of eggs and sausages and the waitress didn't bat an eyelid when I pulled out my avocado and then requested heavy cream for my coffee.

I travel every month to random destinations so it won't be an easy challenge but I now know how to prepare myself and of course to say 'no' when it just doesn't fit into my eating lifestyle.

Wish me luck!!!!

p.s. so the boyfriend is joining me on my journey, he just called me from work after having just discovered a keto recipe online, he wants me to make that for dinner tonight.......thats just too cute lol
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Good luck. I'm surprised it took you this long to jump all the way in. It's such a delicious way to eat.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

- did many of you cut out caffine at all? I have read conflicting opinions on its effect during early ketosis phases
    - any recommendations for 'helpful' products to purchase either UK or USA (think I might be stateside next week)

- coconut oil
    - Himalayan salt

first off, would like to compliment you on your photo - you are so pretty!

welcome!!! :flowerforyou:

i am glad you found this place, i have found alot of great info here. i am new to keto but learning alot.

it took me about 3 days to get a really dark line on my keto sticks. i did NOT cut-out caffeine, i still drink caffeinated tea, but no sugar or sugar subs. just regular tea (either hot or cold) but i do not drink diet soda (because i don't like the taste) and i have never been a coffee drinker. i have not heard of stephanie, but like i said, i am new so will be researching that for sure.

:smile:
  • vampy0611Raquel
    vampy0611Raquel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I done Dunkan before and i lost a lot of weight but get bored and i put them back,i started 70 days ago the Keto diet and i love it ,i drink plenty of coffee without problem and also i have a piece of dark chocolate everyday for my sweet teeth.Good luck
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options

Keto is pretty simple if you stick with whole foods and avoid any packaged or processed food, especially if it is advertised as low carb. To me that just means they have found a way to cheat the labeling requirements through clever engineering.

i think this is a very wise way to approach things. good advice!
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Morning All, (UK local time )

A few quick questions :

- coconut oil
    - Himalayan salt

Hi and welcome,
    Hope this approach works out for you.

-Stephanie Person is very cool bit I wouldn't use everything she says as gospel. She does make entertaining videos and the motivation is awesome.
    -I did not cut out caffeine. It did not seem to affect me at all. You will discover that some things just seem to be very specific to you with keto. I did remove the milk though and drink it black with stevia. Some people seem to not tolerate stevia well In keto but I do fine.
    -Pick up some potassium and magnesium supplements and a good multivitamin. If you are counting calories and doing keto you will probably not get enough.
    Early on make sure you get some broth in you from time to time.
    -It seems to be different for everyone but I was in full ketosis after about 4 days.

Good luck!
  • middleagedmeh
    middleagedmeh Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Didn't realise this was from September 13th....oops.
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Keto lifestyle is great. I know not everyone does this but after 10 weeks and 43lb down I went for a meal out with friends Sunday lunch and had a full roast dinner and cheesecake pudding without worrying about macros. I was a little worried it would set off cravings because higher carb treats always have in past on any other plan. Amazingly I was very full after my meal and had no cravings. I used estimates on food log but did try best to log it all and think it was in reality around 200g net carbs. Sunday evening I had very low Ketone reading. By monday evening I was back to moderate ketone reading. I was very tired sunday afternoon and had a late afternoon sleep for few hours but no other ill effects.

I am very pleased with that as usually carbs make me crazy ravenous after eating them but I guess being fully keto adapted offered me some protection and I was able to enjoy my time with friends without being distracted or over excited eating. That was a big relief as I want to be able to sometimes have something different for a change when out with friends and not have to think too much about meals. I also had one meal out weeks ago that was keto friendly so I know staying keto while eating out can be done. It is just nice to know that i can still have the occasional pile of roast potatoes and sweet pudding without being faced with having to conquer cravings all over again. I guess it is individual but for me the experience affirmed how well my body has adapted to Keto lifestyle and that it so prefers it that a high carb meal did not cause me much disruption and went back in to ketosis quick and easily.

My meal out although high carb relative to my usual level now, some of the things i used to eat were probably way higher carbs and i am not going to kid myself that i could eat like i used to without suffering for it. I won't make a habit of having high carb meals but I am impressed how much my body has adapted to Ketogenic lifestyle. With a long history of having eating disorders for me personally I know saying to myself i can never have xyz ever again. If i do that i tend to focus on wanting what i have told myself i can not have. I have been conscious this time of thinking of it differently and always telling myself I am choosing to eat this way but nothing is forbidden and I can choose to eat what I like as long as it feels safe to do so. I did feel safe to have my meal out but there was that tiny worry in back of my mind that cravings might be re-activated. The best thing about Keto for me is that it has killed my constant ravenous cravings that i have had my whole life. I am so happy that stayed the case even during and after my higher carb meal out. I just think keto is wonderful