Favorite Kitchen Tools

Options
KBGirts
KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
What are your favorites? I'm curious because I would like to know if I am missing out on anything that would make my life easier ;)

Mine:

Cast iron pan
Mandolin slicer
My favorite knife
Immersion blender (for bulletproof coffee among other things)
Crock pot

I'm actually surprised at how little I use my food processor.

Replies

• mandasue1976
    mandasue1976 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Check out a Vegetti or a Spiralizer-they are both are used to make vegetable "noodles"!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    So many favourites! I'm in love with my kitchen stuff.

New knives! (just had 2 Wusthofs arrive yesterday, waiting for 3 Globals. so sick of junk knives!)
    Cast iron everything (even wok)
    Immersion blender (BP coffee), including small bowl grinder for nuts.
    Vitamix (mostly smoothies for my child)
    Lemon/lime press
    Julienne peeler (like my mandolin but sometimes get very injured so I hesitate to use it)
    Zesting tool
    Pestle and mortar
    Crock pot (mostly only for bone broth)
    Wood bowls, cutting board, utensils etc
    And of course my coffee bean burr grinder.

I want to love my pressure cooker but haven't learned to use it.
    I hate the food processor. Too annoying to get out, assemble, clean, put away. Might try it with my next mayo since I'm having so many fails lately. My Kitchen Aid mixer is a bit annoying to get out too but it has some useful attachments.
  • creay2012
    creay2012 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My veggetti is my new fave
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Vitamix - smoothies, ice creams, sauces, etc. We make barbecue sauce a lot and this last batch was phenomenal, because the Vitamix liquefied all the ingredients, releasing all the great flavors of everything.

Immersion blender - mayo! (That is literally the only reason I have it for edibles right now, I bought it for soapmaking)

Slow-cooker - Stocks, fat rendering, cooking, rebatching botched soap batches...

Kitchen-Aide Stand Mixer - anything that needs mixed without being liquefied

Kitchen-Aide mandolin - I specify it, because it's the best mandolin I've found. It has adjustable depth and several different blades. Great for chips or fries of any sort.

Stoneware baking items - We've had a pizza stone, muffin pan, and bread pans. We recently lost the muffin pan and pizza stone, and we're feeling the loss of the pizza stone (it's good for more than just pizzas!). Stoneware makes hands-down the best baked anything. I personally prefer glazed for everything except the pizza stone, just because cleaning is a lot easier, especially for things like the muffin pan (to be fair, the bread/cake dishes would probably be nearly as easy as the pizza stone to maintain, but the muffin pan? Never again unglazed, it's a PITA to keep even "stoneware standards" clean), but glazed or unglazed, they're awesome.

Once we can actually get it, my fridge - We're looking at something like this beast, because we're sick of our tiny side-by-side fridge (seriously, whoever thought those things were a good idea needs shot), and because we keep more food in our fridge than our cupboards now, and right now, we lose a lot of stuff, because we can't see half of what we can fit into it, so we end up forgetting about it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_551649-49317-LFX32945ST_1z11pm3+2zc5j__?productId=50183341&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=31-35.9 (Yes, yes, I know, we have expensive toys. We've realized that we have expensive taste. We pull it off by saving in other areas and finding ways to allow for such expenses. We save a lot, because I make a lot of stuff myself, work from home, etc. There are some things we feel are worth it to not skimp on quality, even if it means taking longer to get it.)
  • Quinnstinct
    Quinnstinct Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    So many!

I've been using my spiralizer almost everyday lately and love it
    pressure cooker
    knives
    meat mallet
    dutch oven, I brown then slow braise so much on paleo it's unbelievable
    immersion blender
    cast iron skillet and cast iron grill pan

I just got a used smoker but have yet to figure it out- I hope to spend lots of weekend days smoking meats this fall!
    I also use my grill year round- not a kitchen item but I couldn't do without it.
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    ulu
    good knives
    bamboo cutting board
    cast iron skillet
    hard anodized non-stick skillet (I just kill eggs on the cast iron...lol)
    crock pot
    broiler pan
    enameled cast iron dutch oven
    baking sheet with "bacon" rack (really a cookie cooling rack...but who needs that?!?)
    imersion blender
    food processor
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    - Coffee grinder and press
    - set of good knives (Global and Wusthof)
    - garlic crusher
    - immersion blender
    - food processor
    - small non stick Green Pan for omelettes
    - big cast iron dutch oven - probably my most used piece of cookware
    - jar key - seriously one of the best inventions ever
    - digital scales
    - pepper grinder - we go through a lot of pepper
    - silicone baking mat - use it on an oven tray in the freezer to freeflow stuff to put in bags
    - bbq - I cook outside several times a week all year round no matter the weather
    - wine glasses ;-)
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Last weekend I got a new set of Wusthof knives and a food processor for my birthday. Both gifts have been wonderful but the knives have been a revelation. I always thought the knives I was using before were adequate but these new ones make everything a million times easier.
  • KBGirts
    Options

Once we can actually get it, my fridge - We're looking at something like this beast, because we're sick of our tiny side-by-side fridge (seriously, whoever thought those things were a good idea needs shot), and because we keep more food in our fridge than our cupboards now, and right now, we lose a lot of stuff, because we can't see half of what we can fit into it, so we end up forgetting about it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_551649-49317-LFX32945ST_1z11pm3+2zc5j__?productId=50183341&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=31-35.9 (Yes, yes, I know, we have expensive toys. We've realized that we have expensive taste. We pull it off by saving in other areas and finding ways to allow for such expenses. We save a lot, because I make a lot of stuff myself, work from home, etc. There are some things we feel are worth it to not skimp on quality, even if it means taking longer to get it.)

We are in the market for a new fridge as well. We are moving and need one. We currently have a side-by-side, and yes.... worst idea ever. I followed your link and this is pretty much what I want too! Can't wait!
  • KBGirts
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I can't wait to update my kitchen. I've been wanting to replace my knives. Sounds like the Wusthof knife is the way to go! And i need to get a spirelli!!!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My favorite things are my Pampered Chef stoneware pans, Pampered Chef Santoku knife, and my crokckpots (I have 3). I am awaiting a black steel frying pan to be delivered, can't wait to try it!

I have a french door refrigerator, I love it! Even at the smallest width, since I have limited space, it holds a lot!
  • HestiaMoon1
    HestiaMoon1 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    We are at the tail end of finishing our home, so I finally have my dream kitchen being built (24 years after culinary school) with all my favorite toys.

6 burner Wolf stove and oven
    Sub-Zero refrigerator
    Deep freezer
    Lodge enameled cast iron dutch oven
    Ninja Mega with lots of attachments, especially the single serve cups
    Espresso machine
    Slow cooker
    Knives - a 24 year old set of Henckles
    Wusthof carver
    Boning knife
    Meat grinder attachment to Kitchen Aid
    Dehydrator
    Wine cooler
    Bamboo steamer
    Meat mallet

I have space for a convection oven, but that's down the road a bit.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    So many favourites! I'm in love with my kitchen stuff.

New knives! (just had 2 Wusthofs arrive yesterday, waiting for 3 Globals. so sick of junk knives!)
    Cast iron everything (even wok)
    Immersion blender (BP coffee), including small bowl grinder for nuts.
    Vitamix (mostly smoothies for my child)
    Lemon/lime press
    Julienne peeler (like my mandolin but sometimes get very injured so I hesitate to use it)
    Zesting tool
    Pestle and mortar
    Crock pot (mostly only for bone broth)
    Wood bowls, cutting board, utensils etc
    And of course my coffee bean burr grinder.

I want to love my pressure cooker but haven't learned to use it.
    I hate the food processor. Too annoying to get out, assemble, clean, put away. Might try it with my next mayo since I'm having so many fails lately. My Kitchen Aid mixer is a bit annoying to get out too but it has some useful attachments.

My last two batches of paleo mayo have been the "no fail" recipe I found by googling. It's worked well both times. I love that I don't have to let the egg come to room temperature. I make it in the jar I'll store it in.

1 egg
    Juice of 1 lemon (or 1-2 TBS vinegar)
    Salt (I forget how much)
    (Optional: I add 1 tsp Dijon mustard. You could also add roasted garlic, and/or herbs)
    1 cup light olive oil

Add all ingredients to tall, narrow jar. (I use a one pint straight-sided canning jar.)Let egg settle to bottom. Insert immersion blender. Turn on, blend bottom of jar a few seconds. Mayo will begin to form almost instantly. Slowly move blender up. Don't take it completely out of the liquid (Mess!). Contents will transition to mayo as you move blender up. Takes less than 20 seconds. Maybe stir in any remaining oil when you're done -- there won't be much.

Has worked perfectly twice so far.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    mandolin slicer was but I have cut 3 finger tips, so it had to go :(….really want the veggie spiraller though!!
  • carrieann8
    carrieann8 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Mine:

My 12 inch round skillet.
    My ceramic knives
    My recycled paper cutting boards.
    Immersion blender
    Crock pot ( large and small)
    the 50 million containers I know use for prep
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ^^ I use that same method to make mayo. Fool proof, so far.

I love my: cast iron skillits, varying sizes, knives, digital food scale... my pride and joy is my Thermador dual-fuel range.
  • Clothwright
    Options
    some favorites:

cast iron skillets with lids
    cast iron dutch oven
    parchment paper (ok, not a tool exactly, but...)
    immersion blender--lived without it for a long time, love it!
    food processor--mine lives on the counter.
    small coffee grinder for spices
    citrus zester
    food mill
    apple peeler
    loud timer (I have a habit of multi-tasking and the buzzer has saved me from many an over-cooked meal)
    3-c measuring cup with handle and pouring spout. This gets used for mixing everything from scrambled eggs to salad dressing.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I make mayo all the time in my blender and have never had an issue. I have never tried the immersion blender, maybe I will. I have one, but it sits in the cupboard unused for the most part.
  • msnucerity
    msnucerity Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I love and could not live without:
    -my amazing knife set and sharpener
    - crock pot
    - cast iron pans and grills
    - food processor (especially for making my own almond meal)
    - tassimo for the coffee portion of bullet proof coffee
    - good cutting boards
    - stock pot

These are a few of my favorite things (along with snowflakes that land on my nose and eyelashes)
  • MaegK
    MaegK Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love

My kitchen aid mixer-especially the attachment that shreds
    My small pan
    My slow cooker
    My pairing knives