Daily Calories

Options
VastBreak
VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
Hypothyroid and Hashimotos patients, care to share your daily calorie goals??? Ideally this should be different for us all based on height and activity, yes?

When your meds are adjusted and working correctly, how many calories do you consume?

Do you adjust and eat less calories when you are trying to find the correct med dose?

Just saw a new Dr yesterday because now apparently I have gallbladder sludge? Yes that is really the term that was used!
Also mentiond that for my height of 5'2" I should never eat over 1200 calories regardless of how much I exercise! Maybe less since I'm hypothyroid.

A few other things were mentioned and my head is still spinning! Now I'm curious of others that are losing weight, what is your daily calorie goal??

Replies

• walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and 57. I try to keep at that 1200 calories. I definitely eat more if I burn extra calories with walking, strength training, etc. I was told by my thyroid doctor that the strength training was more important than my walking or biking. I am on Armour as I could not do the synthetics. Good luck to everyone!
  • Janette3x4
    Options
    I am at 1200 too. I do eat some or all of my activity burns though. I use a fitbit, and for instance yesterday I was very active and ate almost 1700 with a net of 1179. I am not losing a lot this way but not gaining either! I know if I just ate 1200 (and netting 800-900) calories everyday I would lose more but I like to eat. And I have less than 20 pounds to lose so going slow is OK. It took me months to get used to this idea.
    I also eat lower carb. Between 70-100 grams per day.
    Good luck to you! ????
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Interesting that you are both at 1200, I'm at 1420 without exercise and I usually eat back some exercise calories!

I completed c25k back in the spring and consumed closed to 1600 calories a day when running but lost no weight. Over the summer I cycled several days a week and did a good deal of hiking but didn't track calories much. Now for a few weeks I've started lifing, no program yet just getting some strength back doing some basics, squatting, overhead presses, bicep and Tricep work, lifting heavier each time and going till fatigued. I've also started attending some classes like Bosu and HIIT.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Right now, I shoot for 1200 and eat back some exercise calories. I am only 5"1 or 2" and older. Loss is very slow now. I hope I can eat more on maintenance.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7'', 39 and seem to more or less maintain at 1800 kcal when my thyroid is not doing so well ( I have Hashi's ). When it is functioning properly, I lose about a pound a week at this calorie allowance. I spend about 50 mins a day on my bike ( commute to work ) and exercise 30-40 mins six times a week ( weights or own body weight exercises ).
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have post-surgical hypothyroidism and 3 years later my levels still are not quite right, almost, but not quite. However, I can lose weight as long as I don't average more than 2300-2400 cals per day. Anything over that tho and I will gain very rapidly. I l also never try to lose more than a pound a week. I've lost a good deal of weight and done it very slowly and think that's the reason I've been able to keep it off. I struggled the first year after my thyroidectomy and then menopause hit. It's only been in the last few months that I've been able to come up with number that works.

If you really want to know how much to eat, try to see a nutritionist who will test your RMR. That gives you a good base to go from.
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I have recently diagnosed Hashimoto's. I am not taking any meds for it - doctor says to wait and see. I am getting a second opinion in November. I am 5'3" and trying to lose weight eating keto without success. I need to lost about 50 lbs.

I was eating 1000 cals per day, but was not getting enough protein so I upped it to 1200 cals which is a struggle. I am seeing a nutritionist on Monday.

I only seem to lost weight on a VLCD under 600 cals, but I know that is not healthy. I also used to fast.

I walk at least 1/2 hour briskly each day but do not count that against the calorie count.