need help with training for Quadzuki

pobalita
pobalita Posts: 741 Member
I don't know what possessed me to sign up (probably the cool medal and bragging rights that come with the shirt), but I am doing Quadzuki this year - a Seattle event that involves running 4 half marathons over the 4 days of Thanksgiving holiday: There's also Quadzilla which is four marathons in four days...maybe one day.

November 27: Wittle Wattle Half (flat, road)
November 28: Grandpa's Wishbone (trail run)
November 29: Seattle Ghost (mostly flat, road)
November 30: Seattle Half Marathon (some hills, road. I've done this one twice already)

How should I train for this? I'm currently running about 40 miles per week (35 mpw to 50 mpw range). I'm running the Chicago Marathon on Oct. 12, so I will have 6 weeks to get ready for this. I'm fit and expect to finish Chicago with no problems and I've done back to back halfs before with no problem. I have no injuries right now. I'm slow and not competitive. My only goal is to have a good time and not die.

I've heard that the Grandpa's Wishbone run can be a muddy mess, so I expect that run will involve a lot of walking.

Would it be better to keep up a single long run on the weekends, or maybe train more like for an ultra and have a long run on both weekend days? Right now, I generally run 6 or 7 miles 3 to 4 times per week, plus my long run of 15 - 20 miles.

Any advice appreciated.

Replies

• DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    I would go with two long-ish runs on the weekend just to get your body use to doing 13 miles a day for multiple days in a row. Unless the course has changed the half portion of Ghost is flat, the big hill on the course is only part of the 50k.
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    That sounds like a lot of fun. In November I'm doing the Quad Dipsea. November and things named "Quad". lol

I would agree with doing back to back long runs as well, like a 10 mi / 10 mi on the weekends perhaps. Or maybe even three 8 milers back to back. You want to try and simulate the multi-day race conditions. It goes without saying to pay attention to how your body is reacting to this so soon after Chicago. Rest, eat, and recover between races. Go have fun.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    I would go with two long-ish runs on the weekend just to get your body use to doing 13 miles a day for multiple days in a row. Unless the course has changed the half portion of Ghost is flat, the big hill on the course is only part of the 50k.

Pretty much this. Training for this is really just about running on relatively tired legs. And I haven't heard if Grandpas' is back on the trail or if it's on the sidewalk/trail they had it last year. It was flat too so not too hard.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    I did 4 halfs in 4 days a few years back. Assuming you're in marathon shape already, it isn't that hard. At that time in my marathon training, I would run long on Saturday (16-20) and then run an easy 10 mile recovery run the next day. So 4 halfs really just became a "front loaded training week" if you will.

FWIW - I do recall day 3 being the hardest for me.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!