Fried Foods?

Options
DittoDan
DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
Since flour breading is no good for a batter to fry meat/chicken, is there an alternative low carb breading/batter? Has anyone tried substituting almond flour? Does it work/taste good?

Or, what is some good food to fry for a LCHF diet? I have a small deep fryer. I just bought some shortening (NOT hydrogenated). Please advise. I have only been on the diet for 13 days. read the book by Phinney & Volek, The Art of Low Carb Living.

Thank you for any consideration you give me,

Dan
Rochester Hills
Michigan

Replies

• PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    We "bread" in either almond meal, almond meal with parmesan/romano/asiago and garlic... salt/pepper and paprika.
    I generally dip meat into scrambled egg then into the "breading" and place into heated lard to fry in a dutch oven (to minimize splatter).
    We've found it quite good for frying chicken livers and quartered artichoke hearts.

Some people use pork rinds, but I cannot advise as I have not used them for this purpose... though I'm thinking one might either replace the almond meal in the above method or use mayo in place of the egg and bake the meat on a greased oookie sheet.

I guess I do the first method to maximize the fat.. because I'm like that. :)
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I've also seen crushed pork rinds mentioned frequently as part of a breading substitute. I've made a couple things with almond flour but never used it to fry anything (i've made burger buns w/ it a couple times, and a pie crust once). Almond flour has a TON of calories so I don't use it often.

http://reddit.com/r/ketorecipes and http://cavemanketo.com if you're looking for recipes.

Be careful with artificial sugars if you mess around w/ keto deserts, check blood sugar, etc. I've eaten things that say they only have 1-2g carbs that spiked my blood sugar, either the labels were just wrong, or ti was a reaction to a sweetener that isn't supposed to act like sugar. I've also made things that taste decent and sweet and had no impact on blood sugar at all, its weird.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    That sounds great! I love chicken livers. I will give it a try. And I like the idea of baking chicken too, dip the chicken in egg, maybe put the almond meal in a bag, and "shake and bake".

You said "lard". I went to the store the other night (a small Kroger) and they only had hydrogenated lard. Should I visit all the grocery stores? Or is something that has been "demonized" out of all the big stores?

Thank you,

Dan
  • DittoDan
    Options
    @ radii

I just bought some pork rinds, I'll give it a try.

I also see artificial sweetners did exactly what you said. I actually am thinking about doing an experiment to see if it affects me. Before LCHF diet, I liked Splenda. Bouncing around on Keto sites, I see a mixed bag of for and against it. I'll try it on some strawberries and check before and after so I can see what happens.

Thank you for your input,

Dan
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    You said "lard". I went to the store the other night (a small Kroger) and they only had hydrogenated lard. Should I visit all the grocery stores? Or is something that has been "demonized" out of all the big stores?
    I'm sure it's been run out of the big stores after thorough demonization. ;) We live semi-rural but our IGA has non-hydrogenated.
    Coconut oil (the plain non-hydrogenated variety) LouAna works well too (I buy it at Walmart). It isn't made by leprechauns organically, but it is non-GMO and isn't "virgin" but also doesn't taste like anything at all (no coconut taste whatsoever). I use it and it sends me into ketosis so much I had to cut back to 1 Tbs a day. It says it's good to up to 350 degrees.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Lard in stores is mostly going to be hydrogenated with additives to make it shelf stable. See a butcher shop and ask for some real lard. If they don't have it in "liquid" form already, get a block of solid pig fat and render it yourself. Plenty of DYI instructions online.

I use coconut flour to bread little hammered pork strips I get at the butcher shop locally. The butcher runs center cut pork chops through the 'salisbury steak' machine which tenderizes them. They cook really quickly. I just cut them in strips and bread with coconut flour, then deep fry in peanut oil. Peanut oil may not be the best choice, I'm not sure of its profile exactly, but I like the way it tastes.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I'm sure it's been run out of the big stores after thorough demonization. ;) We live semi-rural but our IGA has non-hydrogenated.
    Coconut oil (the plain non-hydrogenated variety) LouAna works well too (I buy it at Walmart). It isn't made by leprechauns organically, but it is non-GMO and isn't "virgin" but also doesn't taste like anything at all (no coconut taste whatsoever). I use it and it sends me into ketosis so much I had to cut back to 1 Tbs a day. It says it's good to up to 350 degrees.

I use Louana too and no coconut taste. It's also cheaper than other kinds probably because it isn't organic (It's pure but its refined and "not raw") and I've bought mine at Wal Mart.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the fat suggestions. Before I read these posts, I did buy an organic product at my Kroger called:

Earth Balance Coconut Spread. 10 oz.

In the ingredients, it lists extra virgin coconut oil, palm fruit & coconut oils, canola oil.

(1) tbsp. = fat 11g, sat fat 5g, calories 100, from fat 100

It does have a slight coconut taste, but not objectionable to me. I will however, look for the Louana brand today at Trader Joes.

I also saw a website that listed the oils & fats and it looks like coconut oil is the best/highest % of fat.

Thank you all for all the help!

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    BJ's and Costco also carry coconut oil.
    ETA: you can get uncured bacon & save the rendered fat to use for cooking
  • DittoDan
    Options
    @ hookilau

Funny you should mention that. I was at Trader Joe's this afternoon. I was looking a this one pound uncured bacon package and looked like it was solid fat.... : )

And I found some coconut oil there also and bought a small bottle of it.

Then, I went to Walmart and found the "LouAna" brand of coconut oil and purchased it also.

Thanks for all you do,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • toadqueen
    toadqueen Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's also has a pork belly product in a box near the bacon without additives, just pork and salt. I heated it in a frying pan on the stovetop and it rendered a nice amount of fat.
  • MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I live in Germany - one of the most popular dishes is "Wiener Schnitzel", which as most of you know is breaded meat. The cool thing is that I can eat a really big portion of that post workout without being knocked out of ketosis. Of course the typical side orders (potatoes, fries) I replace with salad, but still ... I wouldn't have expected that :-).