How does one get started again? It has been a decade...

Options
Hello All - I'm turning 50 in November and am scared to death. I haven't excersized in years. The weight is coming on quickly and my body doesn't feel like it used to. In the last 5 months, I didn't understand what was happening to my body. All of a sudden I would break out in a sweat for no apparent reason. I've always had a great sex drive and since April, it is non-exsistent. I've never felt old but all of a sudden, I look old. I am scared to death to get old! I realize it is going to happen whether I want it to or not; howver, I don't want to feel like I feel today. I feel like a fat blob with NO energy.

I thought about all the food plans, exercize and activites I've done earlier in life. I went to the internet searching for a plan. Now I am completely overwhelmed with information. I know I have to have options, activity and accountibility. I've entered into uncharted territory given the recent changes in my body (pre-menopausal).

Is it possible to have energy again, lose weight, get tone, have flexibiliy and hope that things can be different? How does one get started again?

I'm looking for the pearls of wisdom women share with each other so they don't go it alone :)

Replies

• Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hi there! My name is Connie and I am 58 soon to be 59 in November. I started going through menopause at age 50 and still have hot flashes but they have slowed down a lot. I gained a lot of weight after going through a divorce and have tried to lose it many times but have had success with this site. I've lost 17 pounds in about 3 months. I don't lose very fast especially since I haven't been able to exercise much lately because I have planter facsitis in my feet and it makes it very painful to walk but I've still been able to lose. Its so easy to log your meals....I just do it on my phone. We are a very supportive group. Feel free to add me as a friend. I will send you an invitation and you can add me if you want. Good luck!"
  • TriciannT
    TriciannT Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Tricia. I will be 54 in November. My weight crept on after I quit smoking 7 years ago and started cutting out coffee and diet soda, etc. We do eat healthy for the most part. My husband is an excellent cook so portion control is an issue. To be honest I haven't started menopause yet. I know people who said they never went through it, just woke up and it was done.

My issue is I have an active job and then have to be active on top of it and it is tiring me out. Just start slowly and it will happen. It took me for ever to budge the scale.
  • TriciannT
    TriciannT Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Connie,
    I had planter facsitis also. I beat it by soaking my feet when It was unbearable but I quit wearing cheap shoes. I put my foot down and tried some of the shoes avon sells such as curves and walking shoes since I am on my feet and for the most part it is history. I walk 9 miles a day at work and another 5 on top of that. I is soooo nice. What killed me was the walmart shoes. Never again no matter how desperate I am.
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Hi Connie,
    I had planter facsitis also. I beat it by soaking my feet when It was unbearable but I quit wearing cheap shoes. I put my foot down and tried some of the shoes avon sells such as curves and walking shoes since I am on my feet and for the most part it is history. I walk 9 miles a day at work and another 5 on top of that. I is soooo nice. What killed me was the walmart shoes. Never again no matter how desperate I am.

Hi Tricia! That's nice to know. At this point I'm willing to try anything! I know I'd be losing weight faster if I could walk. You sure do get alot of exercise! That's great!
    That's neat that your husband likes to cook! Mine doesn't mind cooking once in a while. He's getting ready to retire so he may do more cooking once that happens.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to!
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi Connie,

Shoes have got to be the most important thing you can purchase as we get older. Makes a difference not only in how my feet feel, but the rest of my body as well. Flip flops are a nightmare and I don't even own a pair. My son gave me a pair of Nike Elite socks that were too small for him and I'm amazed at how they make my feet feel as well. I've picked up some other Nike socks that are not quite as pricey but still have the tight fit around the arch and they really do help. Just not accustomed to paying that kind of money on socks.

Feel free to add me :)
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Debra. 51, life long dieter. How do you start? Just start. For exercise, Tell yourself "just 15 minutes." Don't overdo it. Then add 5 minutes each week. Intervals burn the best calories for the time invested.

As for food choices, log what you eat in a week without dieting. Then make small changes each week that make your food more natural, less processed. Eat more veggies and lean meat. Ditch diet food, sodas and useless carbs.

The weight will come off -- slowly, if you're anything like me. Take your measurements and some photos at the start. Only weigh yourself once a week. Measure and photo once a month. You will see the change over time. And you'll feel better, too.

We are here for you. Best of luck!
  • bethellen1
    bethellen1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love the reply: "Just do 15 minutes". What great advice - who can't do 15 minutes??

I'm going to weigh and measure tonight, then plan to do it monthly, as suggested. I totally agree with the post about good shoes - my philosophy has always been quantity over quality when it comes to shoes, but that's not working any more! I guess I'll have to get used to fewer pairs of better quality and comfort - hate sore feet :(

Thanks for setting up this group - I think it will provide much-needed support!
  • FrancineM62
    FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I can so relate to all these topics! Menopause, foot issues, dieting struggles. There's a lot of wisdom in us "Over 50 Ladies." I suggest friending as many as you can for support. I've been doing MFP a long time, almost 600 days. It works if you work it, and that includes supporting and getting support from other MFPs. Congrats for taking the first step--you can do this!
  • mariarobles55
    Options
    I'm 50 and I too was there with you. I started feeling anxiety, "hot flashes" and just felt fat and disgusted with myself. I gain 40lbs in the last 10 months and all in my gut!!! I made a promise 1 month ago to exercise everyday or at least 5 times Per week. At first I could only ride my bike 1/4 of a mile, but now I am up to 15.5miles and if I don't ride then I go to the gym and ride a stationary bike and lift weights. I started by forcing myself to go "just a little" further each day even if that only meant 1 block further or 1 min longer. The key was further each time I rode. Now 3 miles feels like a warm up and I do it with out effort. Exercising is becoming a must now. When I skip I feel cheated, but at first if felt like torture. I can move more freely and believe I will see the lbs start to shed. Hang in there, you can do it!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    You can do this, focus,, and get into it,,,, you will be so happy that you did it,,, anyone can add me,, I try to burn 1000 calories 7 days a week.
  • pkdel
    pkdel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hooray!!! I have found ladies like me! I gained about 20 lbs in a couple of years time, over the 20 I needed to lose. The last 20 came on fast and furious and act like they're are going nowhere fast.

I have a husband who doesn't understand menopause and thinks it is because I am lazy. It is true I am not a huge fan of exercise but I do something, even a 30 min walk, most days of the week. It just isn't enough.

My metabolism has hit the rocks and I eat too much and enjoy my wine with the ladies at the end of driveway at night.

Nice to be here. :smile:
  • pkdel
    pkdel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to be at your level of achievement, ladies, you all seem wonderful and very supportive.
  • desutho
    desutho Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Deb, and I'm 58. I started using MFP earlier this year, but never really posted on message boards.

Lost 100 lbs about 12 years ago when I divorced and lived on my own. Kept most of it off for many years until I had a heart attack at 53, then quit my 3-year-young career as a truck driver, and moved to Fargo ND. I lived on temp jobs' income meaning I ate a LOT of cheap pasta and bread.....and I gained 80 lbs over a couple years. And gained a bit more even when I got a full-time permanent job.

I was at 300+ lbs and could hardly walk from my car to my office -- the weight was killing my knees, ankles, feet, and back. I knew I had to start to get healthy, and the first thing I did was to conquer the plantar fasciitis with the right shoes early last year (my recommendation is Kuru Shoes -- kurufootwear.com). The shoes also helped the ankle, knee and some of the back pain. I could walk without as much pain, but I was huffing and puffing after a leisurely 1-block stroll! So, next thing was to quit smoking and I'm proud to say I did that in November 2013.

Both of those things were things I knew I needed to do or I would fail at weight loss. I would be in too much pain and short of breath to do any type of physical exercise at all ! My life needed to change or I would have another heart attack or worse.

So, the live-in boyfriend is gone along with his partying, booze, smoking and junk food. And I started with MFP, and then found out about Ketogenic (low carb, high fat) dietary nutrition and went for it. I'm doing very well. No more sugar, wheat, bread, pasta for me, but I eat real food instead of processed food and I'm losing consistently.

I also joined a health club for people over 40 (it's in a retirement community) and I love to walk in the pool so much I actually go and do it!

But there are days.... I get lonely and if I had any kind of junk food in the house, I'd sit and gobble it and cry. It's not always easy being the only one to have to cook every meal (even if it's only for me), and I don't know a lot of people around here, even at the gym.

So I can sure use motivation to keep at this from people here!