How to get started?!

Options
Hi everyone - I'm new to THM and have read a good chunk of the book, but haven't really started the program. I need focus and accountability! I want to understand the right way to live a THM lifestyle, but I also don't want to 'overthink' it so much that I don't even start it. I'm there right now, but have made up my mind that I'm going to 'trial run' between now and Saturday, and make that my official start date. That gives me time to sort through what's on-hand and what I need to buy. I know they talk about not having to do that, but I need to clean the pantry anyway, so this is a great way to start right.

I identified with Whole Grain Jane and Farm Fresh Tess - I "eat healthy" but thought I just ate too much of the good stuff, which is why I haven't lost weight. I'm also limited in exercise due to chronic shoulder issues. You wouldn't believe how EVERYTHING makes my shoulder hurt. Not fun.

I've also lost weight with lots of programs, yet, here I am again. So frustrating!

Does anyone have any favorite resources to share? I thought about typing up some kind of quick reference guide to keep with me when I'm at the store - kind of a summary of do's and don'ts.

Personal info - I'm 58, married and mom to 2 (21 & 23 years old, so no homeschooling! LOL!) - I sell digital signage and I'm on the road a lot for my job - My territory is VA and WV. I'm also involved with a ministry called "The Walk to Emmaus" and that takes me all over the country, but mostly places in the SE. I was fortunate to go to Australia and the Philippines with Emmaus, and loved both trips!

So - that's where I'm at today.....eager to start and excited to start a new chapter! Please 'friend' me or reach out and let's help each other. We can do this!!!

Ilyse

Replies

• Laurabb99
    Laurabb99 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not THM related, but what's the story behind your shoulder? Is it something that you can overcome with therapy. This would challenging with your travel, but have you tried swimming or water aerobics.

As for food, try to stick to whole foods first. The special items in the book can get pricey. Unless you plan to travel with them, it's probably better not to be reliant on them. I pack truvia when I travel, but that's all.
  • ilysejohnson
    ilysejohnson Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Oh my shoulder is a pain - literally! It started hurting back in 2007, and at that time, I had a cortisone shot that didn't help, followed by PT for 4 months. It seemed a little better, but that was short-lived. I then went to a sports injury doctor, and he gave me another cortisone shot in a different spot and sent me to a PT that specializes in shoulders. The official diagnosis is "Dysfunctional Shoulder Complex" - IOW - everything is messed up. Part frozen shoulder, part bursitis, impingement, arthritis and general inflammation. I took Celebrex and other NASIDs, and finally found that the best way to avoid pain is to quit using it. It's been better since I quit all that, and occasionally I'll take an Advil or Aleve if it starts to ache. Back in 2008, I was told that I'm a good candidate for them to "go in and scoop out the inflammation" and I opted not to do that. At the time, I didn't have insurance, and I wasn't able to miss the time at work to have that done and recover - I'm in commissioned sales, so if I don't sell, I don't get paid!
  • Laurabb99
    Laurabb99 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Wow. Sounds like you have tried just about everything.