Calcium Citrate

Options
kglowins
kglowins Posts: 111 Member
Does anyone feel nauseous after taking their calcium citrate? I stopped doing the chewable because the powder from the tablet was so fine I was choking when taking it. I recently switched to the pills and they make me nauseous....anyone else?

Replies

• sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the calcium chews that taste like candy? I've been taking the Viactiv Carmel Chews and they are fabulous and taste sinful but are good for you!
  • SimplySusan63
    SimplySusan63 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It doesn't make me nauseous but the powdery chewable tablets can be difficult. I typically take them with a meal or right before bed.

Also, the Calcium Chews are not calcium citrate. Calcium citrate is the most digestible, most useful calcium. Check with your doctor before you take or continue with the Calcium Chews.
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Bariatric advantage sells a crystal vitamin that you mix with water and drink three times/day. Each dose contains 500 mg calcium citrate. It comes in two flavors, plus you get your vitamins, but still have to add iron.

I did that for about 6 weeks or so post surgery. If you shake the drink and down it fast, no problem. I don't take calcium anymore because I was having issues with muscle spasm. Now I make sure i get in plenty of calcium in my food to make up for it. Fortunately, I'm not lactose intolerant, so that is easy.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have food on your stomach before taking it!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Since my multivitamine has iron in it I have to wait at least an hour after taking that to add the Calcium Citrate tablets. So I never take them until later in the morning and have usually had something to eat by then. Maybe that's why they don't bother me? Good to know about the Viactive Calcium Chews as I want to get some of those to make taking them while traveling easier. I can throw those in my purse and not have to remember to swallow pills.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    check with your doc to see if a double dose of viactive or the vitafusion calcium gummies will work for you. i was approved and met my nutrition goals/labs every month
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bariatric Advantage also makes Calcium Citrate chews similar to the Viactiv, in Lemon, chocolate, caramel, and raspberry flavors. they are delicious and satisfy your calcium requirements, and your sweet tooth. They often run sales on them if you go directly to their website.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use Bariatric Advantage "Calcium - Chewy Bites - Citrate 500". They are easy to digest and taste yummy (although kind of like a year old caramel) and they are high in citrate. I have trouble with the multivitamins making me sick but the calcium goes down okay if I take it post-meal.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I've heard there is a liquid form of Calcium Citrate at Costco.
    :smile:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Saving info for later!
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I got them from my doctor so I assume they are OK.

They pretty much do the same thing; one is just easier on the stomach.
  • claresta23
    claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I take the liquid and I purchased it from GNC.