Poll: How many miles do you get out of your shoes?

Options
_Josee_
_Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
Question inspired by a comment made by one amazing girl on my FL...

How many miles do you get on average out of a pair of shoes?

Me: No matter the brand or model, I seem to start getting weird aches at around 350-400 miles. So I need a new pair of shoes every 2-3 months. For the records I'm a 130 lbs forefoot striker.

Replies

• Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    115 heel /mid foot range strike:

Kinvaras: 400
    Mizunos- 350 ish...
    Altra - 600+ (usually trash uppers before shoe is gone)
    Innov-8 - very short...maybe 300 miles, much much less in flats
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Not a mile over 400, so 2 months or less. #poorsadpanda

I just started this month having a 3-pair rotation vs strictly road or trail and I've heard it "can" help so we shall see.

ETA: forefoot striker; the worn portion of the shoe will basically be just under the balls of my feet and the uppers potentially still look new. Retired runners = casual shoes lol.
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Not sure this is relevant as I wear Vibram FiveFingers.

250-300 miles on a pair and I start looking for wear on the soles. I have worn a few through and that's when they go in the "retired" pile for wearing around the house. Usually the uppers go before the sole.

Obviously with the Vibrams there's no padding to soften/wear out over time.

145 lbs- mid/forefoot striker running 40-45 miles per week. Mostly pavement with some trails mixed in.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    135ish midfoot striker (though most of my experience is at 140-145 lbs). My aches and pains typically start around 500 miles. I might wear the shoes for shorter runs for a little while after that.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I pretty much only wear brooks.. But I'm just under 130 lbs

I honestly put over 800 miles on a pair of shoes easily. I rotate between like 4 pairs, but I know when they become too old. I usually get a lot of signs from my body.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I just started this month having a 3-pair rotation vs strictly road or trail and I've heard it "can" help so we shall see.

ETA: forefoot striker; the worn portion of the shoe will basically be just under the balls of my feet and the uppers potentially still look new. Retired runners = casual shoes lol.

Yeah me too. Worn out under the balls of my feet but the uppers still look like new. Except when I run in the winter... Road salt and rocks aren't too good for shoes lol.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    350 to 400. I keep track but I can also tell because I get achy knees and feet. Also the tread will be pretty much completely worn down to smooth. I wear Nikes, I don't think they're the most high end of running shoes so maybe that's why they don't hold up as well.
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    Options
    My first pair of Brooks I put a little over 300 miles on them and than I started to have issues and got a new pair
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options

Yeah me too. Worn out under the balls of my feet but the uppers still look like new. Except when I run in the winter... Road salt and rocks aren't too good for shoes lol.

LOL. Yep Josée in the winter I have to have a treadmill pair ???????????? trail running can be unkind to the uppers too, but it's so fun! ????
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    I got around 500 on my last two pair of mizunos, I got about 400 on my adidas. Right now I have 4-5 in rotation ranging from less than 50 to almost 300. Two pairs of reeboks, two saucony, 1 brooks, and a pair of mizunos almost at 500 that I just can't quite let go yet. The most used pair is brooks and I don't think I'll get them over 350 to be honest, unless I keep them to really short runs. I mostly use that pair for trails though.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I am 125lbs, a heel striker and i wear adidas supernova glides. I get about 400 out of my shoes and rotate 2 pairs so i can get 4 months out of them. Although my September completely fell apart, so maybe I'll get another month. I usually don't replace until 450 though.I usually go through a period of feeling bad and thinking I should just give up running because my shins can't handle it. After a lot of crying and complaining i realize my shoes are worn out, replace them and everything goes back to normal. This happens every time!
  • EEfromJersey
    EEfromJersey Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is a great question I've always thought of but too lazy to look into my guess was 350-400. In my curiosity I finally did some googling and found somewhere that all running shoes can go up to 500 miles, i'll tend to believe as I think I've pushed a few that long.
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I've only just started tracking. The current set of two pairs that I rotate through has about 350 miles (for each pair). Looks like they have a lot of life left in them -- Brooks Launch. I weigh 185, mid-forefoot striker.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm so embarrassed! :blushing: I am sure I have more than 500 miles on my current shoes (Mizuno Waverider 16's). I am going to order new ones (the 17's) today.

But usually I put about 400 miles on my shoes.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Between 300-400. I keep 4 pair in my rotation.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    118 pounds, heel, mid-foot strike.

Road shoes: 400 pretty consistently with road shoes. I always get a hole in the toe where my big toe is on the left foot.
    Trail shoes: almost always less. Some brands (asics), I get less than 200 before the mesh just tears apart from roots and sticks and things. Izumis I can get closer to 300 before outside gets too torn up to keep all my toes in.

...I've been known to use duct tape on trail shoes... hey, the base is still all good!
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    About 400 miles. I'm doing both road and trail runs in Brooks Adrenalines with two pairs in rotation. 123 pounds, midfoot strike. I get new ones if I start to feel aches in my knees or shinsplints.
  • Melissa26point2
    Melissa26point2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Jossee- you better not unfriend me (again ;) for this, but I am currently at 674 on my shoes. 128 lbs, mid foot strike. I always go off of feel as my guide for needing new shoes. I don't tend to injure easily, and I know that shin splints is my queue for new ones. Last pair, I got almost 800 miles on
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    Options
    Jossee- you better not unfriend me (again ;) for this, but I am currently at 674 on my shoes. 128 lbs, mid foot strike. I always go off of feel as my guide for needing new shoes. I don't tend to injure easily, and I know that shin splints is my queue for new ones. Last pair, I got almost 800 miles on

#jealous!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    150 pounds, mid-foot strike...40-45 miles per week...

(Road) New Balance Hi-Rez -- 275 miles, very little wear
    (Road) New Balance MR00 ---825 miles and still going
    (Road) New Balance MR00v2 -- just bought 3 months ago...225 miles
    (Road) Merrel Road Glove --- 450 miles, showing a little wear..
    (Road)Merrell Road Glove 2 --- 250 miles...like new
    (Road) Altra Samson ---275 miles, virtually no wear
    (Road) Innov-8 Bare-X 150 --- 325 miles, very little wear
    (Trail) New Balance MT00 --175 miles, upper is blowing out, tread is like new
    (Trail) Merrell Trail Glove --- 475 miles, still perfect
    (Trail) Montrail FluidFlex --- 375 miles, slight wear

I can't remember the other pair in my rotation... but I believe that constant rotation not only gets me more mileage out of my shoes, it also helps me stay injury free (I throw in some barefoot running now and again too)