Should I track by steps or by time? Does it matter?

Options
ogmomma2012
ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
Right now I just go by time. It takes 12min to go a circuit around the building on my two 15min breaks, a walk around my neighborhood takes 30-45min depending on if I have a wiggly two year old who stay in his stroller or not. I average over an hour per day. I have tracked a days steps before, at work the max is about 6k steps. I don't know how accurate the pedometer in my 3DS is but it's better than this other pedometer my grandma got me that you can cheat on by shaking it, whereas the 3DS knows when you are not moving.

Advice?

Replies

• smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi Ogmomma, if you track by time then you can enter it into your MFP exercise diary, they will then add calories that day to your allowance which you can eat if your maintaining your weight but if your trying to lose weight you should only consume half of what they give back. hope that makes sense, it does in my head lol:bigsmile:

Other than that I think its just personal preference
  • I think which ever way is easier for you to track is fine. As smirf1972 said, you can track your time with the MFP app, which is really easy and convenient. A lot of people use a Fitbit, which I believe tracks steps. I need to get one of those!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I need to get a FitBit too! I didn't know that eating all the calories back was maintaining, I will take your advice smirf!
  • smirf1972
    smirf1972 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hadn't realised either ogmomma, then someone explained it to me I realised why i'd been losing and re-gaining the same two pounds for the last month or so lol:ohwell: