Type 2 diabetics in 20s?

Options
Hi,

Just checking whether any of you got diagnosed with diabetes in 20s. I am in my late 20s with diabetes.Need motivation.

Replies

• cwrig
    cwrig Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 52. But probably had it for a year maybe 2.

As bizarre as this might sound, I have never been healthier since being diagnosed with a chronic disease. It has been a wake up call to eat healthy and exercise. I feel better than I have in years.

All of us have been there. The first weeks can be very confusing, frustrating, scary, etc... Just learn all you can and ask lots of questions. It is a disease that You can take control of with proper lifestyle and education. You are off to a good start by joining this forum and starting to ask questions.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed at 45, so lifestyle differences makes my management different from yours in certain ways.

What specifically are you struggling with?....also what meds are you on, & what are your targeted BG ranges? Answers to these questions will yield specific advice you can apply to your life.

In the absence of that:

In my late 20's, even though I had small ones, we still partied a lot with our friends on weekends & of course, ate whatever we wanted.

Now that my kids are 18 & 25 yrs old & I have T2D, I can *still* party like I used to if I had a mind to.

Cocktails - no problem!
    Beer - no problem!
    Wings & Things - no problem!

French fries :huh: problem -___-

So.

How do you eat an elephant?
    One bite at a time
    :laugh:

It's a process & you will need to tweak things to suit your current lifestyle. Though we had kids & held stable jobs in our 20's, we were still pretty rowdy, heh heh :smokin:

flat,550x550,075,f.u1.jpg
  • Bellyemperor
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a1c of 13 at age 27. Now my A1c is 5.6 and I am 28. I take 2000mg metformin daily. I am sad that this is a progressive disease and I have to use insulin in a few years and my life is going to change by the time I reach my late 30s.
  • 123_lac
    123_lac Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have type 2 diabetes. I was diagnosed as prediabetic in my early 20s, but I know I was full blown. My hgca1c always read falsely low due to my reactive hypoglycemia. Why do you think you will be on insulin in a few years? I was on insulin and meds and now I'm on nothing. It doesn't always have to progress. I follow a low carb high fat diet and since following have had zero episodes of hypoglycemia and my last hgba1c was 5.1. I used to take a shot of humalog with anything I ate and took Lantus at night.
  • Bellyemperor
    Options
    Hi,

What was the highest a1c you had?
  • 123_lac
    Options
    It was over 10 but I don't think it was accurate at all.
  • 123_lac
    Options
    Do you have a family history of diabetes? I had precursors to diabetes as a child. I had hypoglycemia, skin tags, and acanthosis nigricans. I also have a huge family history. My siblings have been diagnosed at a very early age as well.
  • Bellyemperor
    Options
    I have family history of diabetes - both dad and mom are diabetic. I had put on weight about 40lbs (approx 20kgs) in a year. I noticed nigricans but wasnt sure what that was. In the subsequent years I lost those weight but was unable to stay on the lost weight for a long time. Even the doctor didnt tell anything. But a few years back I gained weight and was dxed with diabetes with a1c of 13.
  • 123_lac
    Options
    I think more young people have diabetes but aren't tested. Most people in their twenties only go to the doctor when they feel sick.
  • 123_lac
    Options
    I know a lot of people view diabetes as being caused by obesity, but I feel like there is more to it than that. Every diabetic's degree of insulin resistance and carb sensitivity is different. So just because one diabetic can eat rice and whole grain bread doesn't mean another can. Artificial sweeteners and sugar alcohols raise mine, but others have no negative effects. I guess what I'm trying to say is, there shouldn't be a standard cookie cutter treatment for every type 2. I mean I could never eat 45 Carbs at once. I would be back on insulin, but theres people who can. Your diabetes is your own. I like eating to your meter, which requires lots of testing. I used to test before eating and 1 and 2 hours after eating anything. I logged what I ate too. You will see what you can and cannot handle.
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    The current thinking is that a combination of genetics and environmental factors are the cause of type 2 diabetes. There is an excellent explanation here: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/causes/ Working with your physician to individualize treatment is also key to managing diabetes. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Ahh. I see. OP is in the 'mourning' phase =/

It's not a death sentence, and not necessarily progressive either.

Check out bloodsugar101.com to learn more about what you can do to understand what you can do to take control of your situation. You have more power over this thing than you realize, I promise.

My A1C was 9.6 or so when I was diagnosed & I had a casual fasted BG of upwards of 260 mg/dl. I also had Acanthosis nigricans, but it went away once I was able to get my blood sugar reliably under control.

I also had skin tags on my neck that just fell off, my skin cleared up, my hair became thicker & fuller, my dry skin went away.....all of these things I thought I just 'had'. However it turns out they were all related to my un-diagnosed T2D.

It's strong in my family. All 6 of my grandmother's children had it, she and my grandfather died of complications related to it. My aunt just succumbed to diabetic complications last year as well. However, their blood sugars were not tightly controlled.

I had no idea my risk was so great because of the stigma of Diabetes, no one in my family admitted they had it. Once I was diagnosed, and they all heard about it, that's when everyone who had it came forward.

I'm the youngest in my family to have it. I'm using a low carb/high fat approach to manage my blood sugar & lose weight. Along with exercise. I walk daily & lift weights 3 x weekly.

My suggestion to you would be to check out bloodsugar101.com & study up :drinker:
  • rheannaraye
    rheannaraye Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Diagnosed at 23, I'm now 29. I was at an A1C of 11.4 when I was diagnosed, and I'm finally now down to AIC 6.3 and still continuing to work on it. send a f/r if you'd like :) the more support the better!
  • Sleaterkitty
    Options
    I was recently diagnosed 6 months ago and when I was 28. I am definitely here to support you!