attended first meeting

Options
Hi there
This Saturday marked the moment that I gathered up enough strength to enter a meeting. It was a bawl-fest but I haven't expressed myself with such open honesty regarding food ever- and it was freeing to be in a room of people who accepted me.
Read through the welcome package last night- to gather some strength not to late night eat... came across the 3-0-1 plan. Trying that for a while. As well as eating at tables not desks/cars/couches/bed/bath (!) yes, the bath!!
Day 3 of 3. here we go....

Replies

• GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Hi Jennifer,
    Glad to hear that the meeting was liberating for you! I tear up in meetings because of the connection of feel with my fellow COEs. I like that we can be ourselves in the rooms, and share our experiences, strength, and hope without judgment!
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks Grok Star
    I just had a 1/8 slice of cake at a celebration here at work....
    conflicted with whether or not this is a slip or ?
    I had told myself that I was doing the 3-0-1...
    that cake wasn't part of a meal...

it wasn't emotional eating, I've not made a list of foods to avoid (yet)

thoughts on whether or not this breaks abstinence?

thanks
  • robinkay2
    robinkay2 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Me too, Jennifer.
    My first meeting was last week, and I left just speechless at the honesty and support shared there.
    It is where I need to be for sure.
    The OA book is helping, challenging, thought provoking.
  • GrokRockStar
    GrokRockStar Posts: 2,938 Member
    Options
    Thanks Grok Star
    I just had a 1/8 slice of cake at a celebration here at work....
    conflicted with whether or not this is a slip or ?
    I had told myself that I was doing the 3-0-1...
    that cake wasn't part of a meal...

it wasn't emotional eating, I've not made a list of foods to avoid (yet)

thoughts on whether or not this breaks abstinence?

thanks

If cake isn't a trigger for you and doesn't lead to obsession and binging, then it doesn't sound like a trigger for you. So I would say that you did not break abstinence. Cake for me would break my abstinence because it is a trigger food.

Since you're just starting out, try to set realistic goals, not impossible ones. When I first started out, I was very strict about what my abstinence looked like (3 meals per day, no carbs, no sugar, low cals), which was impossible for me to attain. I'm diabetic, so I have to eat more than 3 meals, and healthy carbs and natural sugars were not the culprit in my COE. I soon learned that I can be more liberal with my diet while remaining abstinent.
    You should definitely spend time writing down some root causes of your emotional eating, such as which foods to avoid and life situations that may cause you to binge. It's a journey, YOUR journey and although it may be uncomfortable and scary at times, remember that you're never alone in this.
  • JenniferMuriel
    JenniferMuriel Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much Grok Rock. I really appreciate it.