Suggestions for Routine with Limited Gym Access

Options
klancyjv
klancyjv Posts: 23 Member
I'm a new mom, and I'm not able to return to my big nice gym at this time. I have a small gym in my complex that I'm able to sneak off to before the baby wakes up in the morning, but it only has a few machines and no free weights except for one set of 35 lb. dumbbells. Anybody willing to help me come up with a good strengthening and toning routine with these machines as options?

*Lat Pull Down
*Shoulder Press
*Incline Press
*Bench Press
*Ab/Back Combo
*Leg Extension Curl Row
*Pec Deck
*Standing Calf Machine

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Replies

• ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi - I also have limited access to a gym - I miss it like crazy. So I now work out with kettle bells - seems to work and I feel like I am def building strength. You may wish to include in your routine.

Best of luck.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    How many days a week would you like to go to the gym and for how long each session?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Tagging

What he said
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    What does the Leg extension curl row thingy look like? Is there any way you can take a pic?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Here are some programs to look into to get an idea on some of the compound moves most used, structure, and progression.

Stronglifts
    Starting Strength
    NROL or NROLFW
    AllPros
    Strong Curves (which also has a bodyweight program in there that might interest you)
    Bodybuilding.com (has several programs and even routines written by members available, as well as a large exercise database).

I understand your situation because I was in that same exact situation..with less equipment in fact :laugh: What I did, at first, was read up on Stronglifts, Allpros, and some other online sources to figure out about the basic compound moves. I took Stronglifts program and basically substituted variations of the barbell exercises for what I could do on the machine(s) or bodyweight (Sara will vouch on this as I bugged her about alternative exercises :laugh: ).

Eventually, I moved away from machines because I did find that I began having issues with some of the jerky movements and just overall bad ROM. I ended up investing in an adjustable bench (from ebay) and dumbbell sets with plates (from amazon), as well as a pull/chin up bar, bands, and such. (You could look on Craigslist too for cheaper weight sets).

Then I again substituted the barbell movements for dumbbell and bodyweight versions (which is easier to do with Strong Curves since the book gives you variations and the movements don't solely rely on a barbell).

It took a lot of researching, playing around, but I've really gotten the hang of things now and although I can't necessarily "compare" weight and progress with those using barbells, I'm definitely getting stronger :bigsmile:
  • klancyjv
    Options
    Thank you all so much, and sorry it's taken me so long to get back to this post. I've been out of town with essentially no internet access. Will respond individually...
  • klancyjv
    Options
    I'll take a picture tomorrow morning when I'm down there and will post it up. Thanks!
  • klancyjv
    Options
    How many days a week would you like to go to the gym and for how long each session?

I've been aiming for at least three and hoping for more around four. At this time with my husband having to go to work early, I can do about 45 min max.
  • klancyjv
    Options
    What does the Leg extension curl row thingy look like? Is there any way you can take a pic?

I'll take a picture tomorrow morning when I'm down there and will post it up. Thanks!
  • klancyjv
    Options
    Here are some programs to look into to get an idea on some of the compound moves most used, structure, and progression.

Stronglifts
    Starting Strength
    NROL or NROLFW
    AllPros
    Strong Curves (which also has a bodyweight program in there that might interest you)
    Bodybuilding.com (has several programs and even routines written by members available, as well as a large exercise database).

I understand your situation because I was in that same exact situation..with less equipment in fact :laugh: What I did, at first, was read up on Stronglifts, Allpros, and some other online sources to figure out about the basic compound moves. I took Stronglifts program and basically substituted variations of the barbell exercises for what I could do on the machine(s) or bodyweight (Sara will vouch on this as I bugged her about alternative exercises :laugh: ).

Eventually, I moved away from machines because I did find that I began having issues with some of the jerky movements and just overall bad ROM. I ended up investing in an adjustable bench (from ebay) and dumbbell sets with plates (from amazon), as well as a pull/chin up bar, bands, and such. (You could look on Craigslist too for cheaper weight sets).

Then I again substituted the barbell movements for dumbbell and bodyweight versions (which is easier to do with Strong Curves since the book gives you variations and the movements don't solely rely on a barbell).

It took a lot of researching, playing around, but I've really gotten the hang of things now and although I can't necessarily "compare" weight and progress with those using barbells, I'm definitely getting stronger :bigsmile:

Thanks for all the info! Will definitely read up on those programs. It's hard being used to having a full gym at your disposal, and now not much at all, but I think those sites you suggested will help!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm a new mom, and I'm not able to return to my big nice gym at this time. I have a small gym in my complex that I'm able to sneak off to before the baby wakes up in the morning, but it only has a few machines and no free weights except for one set of 35 lb. dumbbells. Anybody willing to help me come up with a good strengthening and toning routine with these machines as options?

*Lat Pull Down
    *Shoulder Press
    *Incline Press
    *Bench Press
    *Ab/Back Combo
    *Leg Extension Curl Row
    *Pec Deck
    *Standing Calf Machine

Help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Machine like this, except perhaps a cable attachment to a shared stack of weights?
    http://www.amazon.com/XMark-Incline-Extension-Preacher-XM-4419/dp/B004OYWTKW

71rmDlRiYYL._SL1500_.jpg

You got a full routine there, incorporating stuff from the above problems. Perhaps not the best balance though to the muscles used.

Bench press would take care of the iso pec deck, so if limited on time and energy, that could be left out. I mean, no need spending energy on pec deck when it could be given to a another compound move.

Leg extension for quad, but no leg curl for hamstring? Almost got balance there.

What's your weakest muscle you think that needs the most work out of what could be worked on that machine.

Sinc trapped in machine not working the supporting muscles, you'd want to confirm your setup is dead on correct for pivot points and angles and such.
    For example, if the bench press is actually sitting up pushing out, just duplicate the advice for normal bench press to it, have it hit in same spot, arms out same amount, angle of elbows, ect.

Like it seems everyone says their shoulder press is weakest, or hardest to make advancement on.

Shoulder press
    Lat pulldown
    Leg extension
    Bench press
    Row
    Calves (unless that was leg curl, in which case do that here)
    Incline bench
    Ab/back combo
    Calves if not done above

That's 3 presses using triceps and major muscles. Separated by....
    3 pulls (if back combo is pull) using biceps and major muscle. Separated by...
    3 (maybe) leg moves.

2 x 35 lbs may be good for pistol (1 legged) squats and straight-leg deadlifts too, in which case skip the machine for isolation on leg extension and curl and do those.

Just throwing out some ideas, I had a couple times years gone by where machines was only thing available. While you can get up to heavy weight with required good form, as soon as you move to free weights or dumbbells, the weight has to go back down some to build those supporting muscles back up.
  • klancyjv
    Options
    Thank you! I'm going to have to reread your post a couple of times to make sure I grasp it all. I'm a bit of a newbie with all of this, and I was just getting used to my old routine before baby arrived. ;) I really appreciate the feedback and help!
  • klancyjv
    Options
    And yes, that picture of the machine is like the one in my gym. Thanks for posting!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Bumping to the top so we get to this.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    My gym only has weight machines also. This is the routine that I modified...

Weight Machine Circuit Gym Workout

Upper Body

Chest Press
    Seated Row
    Overhead Press
    Lat Pull Down
    Bicep Curl
    Triceps Extension

Lower Body

Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Inside Thigh (Adduction Machine)
    Outside Thigh (Abduction Machine)
    Leg Press
    Calf Raise

I use dumbbells for the bicep curls...squats instead of leg press w/dumbbells...and since I don't have access to an abduction machine I use a cable machine (I think that is what it is called) using ankle straps for the inner/outer thighs.

I have not a clue if what I am doing is right or not but I did make sure that I had push/pull exercises.
  • klancyjv
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    My gym only has weight machines also. This is the routine that I modified...

Weight Machine Circuit Gym Workout

Upper Body

Chest Press
    Seated Row
    Overhead Press
    Lat Pull Down
    Bicep Curl
    Triceps Extension

Lower Body

Leg Extension
    Leg Curl
    Inside Thigh (Adduction Machine)
    Outside Thigh (Abduction Machine)
    Leg Press
    Calf Raise

I use dumbbells for the bicep curls...squats instead of leg press w/dumbbells...and since I don't have access to an abduction machine I use a cable machine (I think that is what it is called) using ankle straps for the inner/outer thighs.

I have not a clue if what I am doing is right or not but I did make sure that I had push/pull exercises.

Sounds similar to what I used to do pre-baby. I think I'll just have to spend some time getting to know these other machines and see what push/pull things I can do with them. Thanks for the input! :)