New to LCHF. Loving it!

Options
lulalacroix
lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
I'm on day 12 of this new way of eating (hate the word diet). The first week was definitely a transition, although I didn't usually eat many processed carbs before. This second week is so much easier. I'm totally loving the food and really not missing carbs.

A couple days ago I started having really stinky urine. I thought this might have been the first sign of ketosis. Is it possible to go into keto that quickly? My net carbs have probably been between 20-30 each day.

I made a low carb cheesecake tonight. I used liquid stevia to sweeten it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this type of liquid sweetener affects our bodies?

Anyhow, I love reading everyone's posts and have got so much info from all of you. Any advice for newbs is welcome.

Replies

• MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

You can get into ketosis in a couple of hours - just eat very little carbohydrate and do some strenuous interval/strength training, and the next day you're almost guaranteed to be in ketosis. That's because the body has a very limited capacity for storing carbohydrate. This also means that immediately after those kind of workouts, you can eat a little more carbs and still remain in ketosis. It's a numbers game! :-)
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    Welcome!

You can get into ketosis in a couple of hours - just eat very little carbohydrate and do some strenuous interval/strength training, and the next day you're almost guaranteed to be in ketosis. That's because the body has a very limited capacity for storing carbohydrate. This also means that immediately after those kind of workouts, you can eat a little more carbs and still remain in ketosis. It's a numbers game! :-)

Thank you. I'm still trying to understand how this works. I guess I thought ketosis was more of my body learning to burn fat as its main energy source instead of carbs. So I guess that means the really stinky pee day could mean that I'm in keto now, The smell lasted less than one day. I'm drinking more water than I ever have before.
  • globegirl08
    globegirl08 Posts: 143 Member
    Options

I made a low carb cheesecake tonight. I used liquid stevia to sweeten it. Does anyone have any thoughts on how this type of liquid sweetener affects our bodies?

Anyhow, I love reading everyone's posts and have got so much info from all of you. Any advice for newbs is welcome.

I would love this cheesecake recipe if you could post or post a link to it. Think I will make this as a treat for my boyfriend who has kindly agreed to join me on my first 2 weeks just to keep me motivated. I think his efforts deserve a treat and I am also secretly hoping that lots of yummy food will convert him to stay on Keto with me ????

Also which brand of liquid stevia did you use? I am trying to do all my ordering online before I get home and launch my Keto lifestyle . Thank you
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    Hi. Here's the recipe:

2 packages cream cheese
    2 packages Neufchatel cream cheese
    1/2 c. sour cream
    3 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
    3 squirts liquid stevia

Blend all with mixer. Pour into buttered pie pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Refrigerate several hours until set,

I'm not very familiar with sweeteners. I bought Skinnygirl brand Stevia. The sweetener seems to taste sweeter after being cooked. You could use more or less depending on your taste.

The recipe online said this has no carbs. Lies!! I did the calculations and it has 9 carbs per 1/8 piece. I will probably cut the pie into smaller pieces so that I eat much less carbs per piece.
  • globegirl08
    Options
    Hi. Here's the recipe:

2 packages cream cheese
    2 packages Neufchatel cream cheese
    1/2 c. sour cream
    3 eggs
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
    3 squirts liquid stevia

Blend all with mixer. Pour into buttered pie pan. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Refrigerate several hours until set,

I'm not very familiar with sweeteners. I bought Skinnygirl brand Stevia. The sweetener seems to taste sweeter after being cooked. You could use more or less depending on your taste.

The recipe online said this has no carbs. Lies!! I did the calculations and it has 9 carbs per 1/8 piece. I will probably cut the pie into smaller pieces so that I eat much less carbs per piece.

Thank you so much :)

"2 packages Neufchatel cream cheese" will have to research this one, have no clue as not something I recognise in the UK
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    This is my 4th week doing LCHF I love it too!

You can surely tell when you hit Keto, I have experienced the smelly urine, metal taste in mouth, and leg cramps.

Just make sure you drink plenty of water, and take in more salt. there are tons of blogs and sites to give good tips.
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    Neufchatel is a lower fat type of cream cheese. You don't have to use it - I was just worried about going overboard on the fat.
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    This is my 4th week doing LCHF I love it too!

You can surely tell when you hit Keto, I have experienced the smelly urine, metal taste in mouth, and leg cramps.

Just make sure you drink plenty of water, and take in more salt. there are tons of blogs and sites to give good tips.

Funny thing about the salt. I thought I was doing great, adding extra salt to my meals, Then I realized that my sea salt has no iodine. Luckily I didn't get any bad cramping. I then went out and bought the Lite Salt.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I had the exact same thought. I wasn't sure if that day I didn't drink enough water or if it was the ketosis. So I am trying to drink 12 cups of water a day. But it is hard for me. I also notice that tuna fish makes my urine smell funny...

I did a little research on the artificial sweetener thing. Mixed results. I don't know what websites I saw it on though. I have been reading so much, but not book marking all the sites. I remember that one Keto doc said Splenda was ok. And since I am diabetic, it has been said that each person reacts differently. Supposedly, artificial sweeteners are not supposed to raise your blood sugar. BUT, in some people it does.

I am going to do a test when I get a chance. I will check my glucose, then eat some strawberries with and without Splenda on different days and see how I react.

I'll post when I do it.

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Funny thing about the salt. I thought I was doing great, adding extra salt to my meals, Then I realized that my sea salt has no iodine. Luckily I didn't get any bad cramping. I then went out and bought the Lite Salt.

Ha! I did the same thing!!! :laugh: :laugh:
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    I had the exact same thought. I wasn't sure if that day I didn't drink enough water or if it was the ketosis. So I am trying to drink 12 cups of water a day. But it is hard for me. I also notice that tuna fish makes my urine smell funny...

I did a little research on the artificial sweetener thing. Mixed results. I don't know what websites I saw it on though. I have been reading so much, but not book marking all the sites. I remember that one Keto doc said Splenda was ok. And since I am diabetic, it has been said that each person reacts differently. Supposedly, artificial sweeteners are not supposed to raise your blood sugar. BUT, in some people it does.

I am going to do a test when I get a chance. I will check my glucose, then eat some strawberries with and without Splenda on different days and see how I react.

I'll post when I do it.

Definitely report what you find out. It will be an interesting test. :)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Welcome to, IMO, the best way of life on the planet. :bigsmile:
    I've been doing this since June 1st. Lost 45lbs. Getting fit. Happy, happy, happy.
    Except my pants are falling off...I about pantsed myself this afternoon in town by running and chucking my phone in my pocket while doing it! That was scary! :laugh:
  • DittoDan
    Options
    @ LulalaCroix

In my research on Keto sites and books, (and I think someone told me here), that leg cramps are from lack of Magnesium. I have had leg cramps for years. They are so painful for me, I think I'd rather have a root canal. Mine always happen between 4 + 7 am when I am sleeping the best.

The magnesium that was recommended to me is:

Magnesium Citrate
    400 mg

The recommended dose is 2 @ day. But I only take one @ day, I take it right before I go to bed. I have only been taking it for about ten days. So far, so good, no cramps. IF I get a cramp, I will up the dosage to two.

The brand I use is: Solgar Google it. I got mine off of Amazon.

I also heard that Magnesium Citrate is the best form of Magnesium, as other formulations aren't as effective. And lastly, I hear that there is a "slow release" version that is supposed to be the best. I think its called, "SloMag".

I hope this helps.

• lulalacroix
    Options
    I've been doing this since June 1st. Lost 45lbs. Getting fit. Happy, happy, happy.
    Except my pants are falling off...I about pantsed myself this afternoon in town by running and chucking my phone in my pocket while doing it! That was scary! :laugh:

Omg, that's so funny. I totally cannot wait to have that problem of my pants literally falling off!

I love your username. I literally barely ever ate bacon before. Now I have some almost everyday. It's the best thing ever. That..and butter.
  • lulalacroix
    Options
    @ LulalaCroix

In my research on Keto sites and books, (and I think someone told me here), that leg cramps are from lack of Magnesium. I have had leg cramps for years. They are so painful for me, I think I'd rather have a root canal. Mine always happen between 4 + 7 am when I am sleeping the best.

The magnesium that was recommended to me is:

Magnesium Citrate
    400 mg

The recommended dose is 2 @ day. But I only take one @ day, I take it right before I go to bed. I have only been taking it for about ten days. So far, so good, no cramps. IF I get a cramp, I will up the dosage to two.

The brand I use is: Solgar Google it. I got mine off of Amazon.

I also heard that Magnesium Citrate is the best form of Magnesium, as other formulations aren't as effective. And lastly, I hear that there is a "slow release" version that is supposed to be the best. I think its called, "SloMag".

I hope this helps.

Thank you for all the info. I don't think I asked about this; how did you know? Lol. I'm fine all day, then I lie down to go to sleep and it's recently so difficult with the painful legs. I totally have to order this.

Thanks again!
  • globegirl08
    Options
    You guys are doing great and sharing your individual journeys is so valuable for us newbies about to start. Well I made it Stateside and have my little accumulated list ready of Keto things to buy which are just not available in the UK. My colleagues think I am mad.....but hey ho!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options

Omg, that's so funny. I totally cannot wait to have that problem of my pants literally falling off!

I love your username. I literally barely ever ate bacon before. Now I have some almost everyday. It's the best thing ever. That..and butter.

Yesss....Butter...drooling. I pretty much put in on everything. And bacon fat IN everything.

You know someone was there, of course, and saw my bright pink undies right before I hastily pulled them back up. Mortified. But then I was like...shrug...I used to fit those pants and now I don't so: Win.
  • DittoDan
    Options
    @ LulaLacroix,

I think I referenced you when it should of been MrsFancyAB, LOL!

Oh well, good to know it helped you too. I was talking to some 50' and 60's aged people in my church the other day and its amazing how many people have this problem with the leg cramps.

This morning I (after 10+ days on Magnesium Citrate) I decided to do the ultimate leg cramp test. When I woke up, whilst laying in bed, I pointed my toes as hard and straight as I could, (like a ballerina) and it didn't CRAMP! Praise God! Two weeks ago I would of set off my cramp in my calf. WOW! That is really good, because sometimes my cramp starts when I am dreaming, somehow I just slightly point my foot and it would set it off. When I would stretch in the bed before I got out, I would have to be extra careful as not to, in any way, point my toes.

Hallelujah!

• MikeEnRegalia
    MikeEnRegalia Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @ LulaLacroix,

I think I referenced you when it should of been MrsFancyAB, LOL!

Oh well, good to know it helped you too. I was talking to some 50' and 60's aged people in my church the other day and its amazing how many people have this problem with the leg cramps.

This morning I (after 10+ days on Magnesium Citrate) I decided to do the ultimate leg cramp test. When I woke up, whilst laying in bed, I pointed my toes as hard and straight as I could, (like a ballerina) and it didn't CRAMP! Praise God! Two weeks ago I would of set off my cramp in my calf. WOW! That is really good, because sometimes my cramp starts when I am dreaming, somehow I just slightly point my foot and it would set it off. When I would stretch in the bed before I got out, I would have to be extra careful as not to, in any way, point my toes.

Hallelujah!

So the Magnesium Citrate seems to have helped, and you thank God? Some misdirection going on? ;-)