Day three Refrigerator Rehab

Options
Day 3: Refrigerator Rehab
The refrigerator can be the black hole of leftovers and well-intentioned produce, or it can be the workhorse to support your clean eating habits.
If you want to eat clean, these are the essentials you want in your refrigerator (in no particular order).
1. Juice – I know we are trying to reduce sugars with clean eating, but I keep juice so I can add a splash when making smoothies or to mix with a sparkling water for a refreshing alternative to water.
2. Eggs – Eggs are the most easily absorbed protein source for our bodies. I keep raw eggs and hard boiled in the fridge, so they are ready for a snack, salad topper, or quick protein to go with my breakfast. I also keep liquid eggs (or Egg Beaters) for a quick microwave egg dish on really busy mornings!
3. Lean Meats or Fish – Any raw meats, thawing or fresh, should be on the lowest shelf and in a container to catch any draining liquid. You don’t want that leaking onto your salad greens!
4. Yogurt – Like many of you, I like Greek yogurt for its lower carbohydrate and high protein amounts. Plain Greek yogurt can be used as a sour cream substitute as well.
5. Salad Fixings – I have found that I dedicate a drawer (or more) to all the ingredients for a salad – salad greens, cucumber, tomato, carrots, or whatever you like. It makes it super easy to throw a salad together when everything is in one place.
6. All Other Produce – My second produce drawer works hard to contain many things:
a. Lemons and Limes – A clean eating essential! Lemons and limes are great when cooking, the zest can be used on salads, side dishes, and the juice in salad dressings and marinades. Slices of lemon and lime are a great way to give water a bit of interest.
b. Fresh Herbs –When you buy herbs, you can wash them and wrap in a damp (not overly wet) paper towel. Place this is a resealable bag and herbs should stay fresh for several days.
c. Fruit – I like to keep hearty fresh fruit like apples, oranges, and pears in a bowl with bananas on the counter in my kitchen. Statistically, we are more likely to eat what is convenient and what we see. Other, more fragile fruit like berries, grapes, or melons I store in the refrigerator.
d. Other Vegetables – If you are going to have healthy side dishes with your meals, you need to have a variety of vegetables on hand. Of course, you could use frozen (canned is less preferred), but the key is to plan your meals so that good produce doesn’t go to waste.
7. Cheese – Personally, I could make a meal out of cheese, but beware. Clean eating means portion control with cheese. However, I find that it is an essential of any good kitchen. Pungent cheeses like bleu, goat cheese, or feta are great in salads because you need very little to go a long way. Adding shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese to side dishes, on top of roasted vegetables or as a finish to soups add a nutty flavor and heartiness with few calories. Avoid processed cheeses, waxy, or fat free cheeses. The less flavor, the more inclined you are to add more cheese to the dish.
8. Milk – To me, there is nothing more refreshing than a glass of skim cow’s milk. If you are partial to other kinds of milk – goat, almond, or soy, no worries. Just be sure there isn’t too much sugar or fat in the kind you prefer.
9. Mustard – All kinds! Since mustard is a natural emulsifier (meaning it combines oils and vinegars well), Dijon is great for making your own salad dressings. Mustard can add a lot of flavor when cooking meats or fish and is a great alternative to mayo on sandwiches and wraps.
10. Mayo – Yes, I have some. I buy REAL mayo with olive oil. More often I substitute avocado or roasted red pepper hummus on sandwiches and wraps.

Replies

• ashley_144000
    ashley_144000 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just went grocery shopping yesterday & got lots of fruits (blueberries, raspberries, bananas, grapes, avocados), veggies (spinach, tomatoes, bell pepper, onions, hot peppers), fruit juice, Greek yogurt, and other healthy foods. I have chickens in my backyard lol, so I always have fresh eggs (hormone free, cage free, etc) & I also have a garden with okra, tomatoes, Jalopenos, banana peppers, kale & spinach. So I think I'm ready for the rest of the 7 day challenge!
  • gutierrezbe
    gutierrezbe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It's time to go SHOPPING!
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    My fridge looks pretty good, it was the donuts at work that got me this morning. And I knew I didn't need it.
  • Fitmom120811
    Fitmom120811 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Shopping is a must for me this weekend lots of meal prep ahead